What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comedians best and up and comers

T-Boon

Coach
Who are the best.
And who are the up and comers?

Best:
Louise CK
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Patrice O'Neill (deceased)
Ricky Gervais
Chris Rock

Up and coming
Shane Gillis (just watching him on tube now prompted me to make this thread. Damn funny).

Anyone been to any shows?

nöyd

Staff member
Same as you - Gervais, Patrice, Burr.

Not sure how this will be received round these parts but I don't mind Pete Davidson.

Bill Hicks was my fave but only has a limited selection to listen to of course.

Anyone been to any shows?
Went to see Arj Barker well over 10 years ago when he may have had something relevant to say, whole night was spoiled (for the entire crowd - not just me) by one of my wife's workmates who kept interrupting him and trying to hit on him all night, it was beyond terrible.

nöyd

Staff member
I used to subscribe to the "to be funny you have to swear/curse" brigade. I was listening to a random stand-up mix on spotify a couple of weeks ago while working in the yard, one guy was really cracking me up without so much as anything remotely like a curse word - Jim Gaffigan. I had to google him to see if I could recognise him from anything - "oh yeah, it's the meow guy from Super Troopers" lol

Matua

Bench
Murphy, Rock, Chappelle (last special was bollox though, dude needs to get over his trans obsession) are the big ones for me. I like Burr but I have never got Louis CK and Gevais, their comedy style does nothing for me.

There's a whole bunch of Netflix/streaming specials that I find funny - guys like Fluffy, Tom Segura, Michael Che, Ali Wong, Hannibal Buress etc. A guy I was surprised to like was Mike Birbiglia, very low fi but funny.

T-Boon

Coach
I used to subscribe to the "to be funny you have to swear/curse" brigade. I was listening to a random stand-up mix on spotify a couple of weeks ago while working in the yard, one guy was really cracking me up without so much as anything remotely like a curse word - Jim Gaffigan. I had to google him to see if I could recognise him from anything - "oh yeah, it's the meow guy from Super Troopers" lol
Yeah Jim gaffigan is funny as hell.

azzah72

Bench
Stand up is my Jam, go to a lot of shows.

Of the big names, a lot have been mentioned that I think are top tier.

Chappelle
Bill Burr
Tom Segura
Gervais
Louie CK
Eddie Murphy.

I went and saw Chris Rock live only a couple of weeks ago and I was pretty disappointed. I think his jokes and style have passed him by a bit. He wasn't particularly funny.
In an hour and a half set, that felt like 4, he only had a handful of mildly funny jokes to be honest.

One dude I really like at the moment is Andrew Shultz.

He's recently made a bit of a new for himself because he used his life savings to buy back his special from a streamer (unnamed but most think it's Netflix) because they refused to release it unless it was heavily edited.

So he said f**k that, bought it back and risked it all by putting it on his website to purchase & hope to recoup his money and make a profit.

His style is very funny. He'll take the piss out of anyone but you can see it comes from a place of actual knowledge of the culture so you see people laughing along with him and not getting outraged.

He is pretty outrages sometimes though so if you get offended, don't watch.

I think he's great though.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
James Acaster one of the best right now

I think Jim Gaffigan is the king - he's been consistently funny shit for 15 years now.

Australians: Anne Edmonds and Aaron Chen

T-Boon

Coach
I’d say the Patrice O’Neil special Elephant in the Room (which is on YouTube) is close to the funniest hour I’ve ever experienced.

Latest posts