What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentary not so great.

Gorillasanti

Juniors
Just watched the first 5mins of the Brisbane v Wigan movie and I think that the commentary is bit dodgy.
At some stages its a bit behind the play but worst of all was the "Lam will restart play" when quite obviously it was Ben Ikin dropping out for the Broncs! :shock:

Tadpole

Juniors
so its not perfect!! nothing is, but it IS good....how many other games do you see that actually have the commentry flowing continuously...not many in my opinion.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Gorillasanti said:
Just watched the first 5mins of the Brisbane v Wigan movie and I think that the commentary is bit dodgy.
At some stages its a bit behind the play but worst of all was the "Lam will restart play" when quite obviously it was Ben Ikin dropping out for the Broncs! :shock:

so you want him to say the names of the players before they touch the ball??

watch a game and see when they say the players names...

ripper

its better then most games commentry me thinks,

but commentry doesnt make or break a game. Look at Madden 2004, greatest game of all time, but piss poor commentry

I really like the commentry it actually reflects the way the game is going better than any other I have seen and there are never long paues's its continues I really like what I have heard

Erhan

Juniors
I think commentary will always be boring in computer game until they invent something that enables computers to think for themselves. Any sports game that has commentary starts to get repetitive after a few weeks and it will be the same in this instance aswell. Infact, if there is an option to turn off commentary I probably will as I'll get sick to death of Vossy replaying the same old lines after a try is scored..

ripper

half the time i end up commentating my self anyway, me and my mate like pissing each other off when we are winning in a sports game

HBG

Juniors
I actually like it, though there are a few mistakes.

I'd prefer it to just hearing the ref, calling tackles, and "mark it square". I actually found a convertor for the audio format and changed it to a blank file.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i like im sure many find themselves commentating myself and not listening to the computer version

i also do half time and fulltime wraps up so commentry dosnt bother me

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
it was an early beta version so im pretty sure the whole "number 2" thing will be fixed as well as the benny ikin adrian lamb mixup other than that i think the commentrys sweet!

Goleel

Juniors
Hey, if you're going to bag the commentary, make sure you give it credit for what was good too. Vossy's sayings were classic, just a few I love

'I am struggling to find adequate superlatives to describe this performance'
'Devere must have a grudge, theres no need for that'
'Tate is underneath there, he needs to extrocate himself"
'And he gets a faceful of turf for his troubles'
'oh ho ho, look at that tackle!'
'a long ball, an inviting pass really'

It reminds me a lot of a one man NFL2K commentary, decent play by play, but the little comments they add give the game personality. 2K has the greatest commentary ever, without doubt, even if you don't like gridiron, watch this game being played just to hear the commentary, 'you can't coach that!'.

Tugga Waugh

Juniors
Goleel said:
Hey, if you're going to bag the commentary, make sure you give it credit for what was good too. Vossy's sayings were classic, just a few I love

'I am struggling to find adequate superlatives to describe this performance'
'Devere must have a grudge, theres no need for that'
'Tate is underneath there, he needs to extrocate himself"
'And he gets a faceful of turf for his troubles'
'oh ho ho, look at that tackle!'
'a long ball, an inviting pass really'

It reminds me a lot of a one man NFL2K commentary, decent play by play, but the little comments they add give the game personality. 2K has the greatest commentary ever, without doubt, even if you don't like gridiron, watch this game being played just to hear the commentary, 'you can't coach that!'.

Yeah i thought the commentary was pretty good. I dont what the fuss is all about, they havent actually got the game. I bet once everyones played, they'd say something like how good the commentry is, and it was worth the $84.95.

Jono Russell

Bench
the thing with commentry is that i dont think it will ever be perfect in anysports game ever. because its not like they are going to sit down and go through every game type possible and commentate each one. they can only use so many lines ina game woudl you guys prefere them waste most of there money and time on having say a 500'000 line commentry system and have average graphics or would you prefere great graphics and game play and only the normal 5000 lines of commentry. as long as when im doing a break away with a player such as matty rieck the commentator saiz a quick line like ' riecks away through the gap' then im happy.

Goleel

Juniors
I really think NFL2k3 comes as close to perfect commentary as a game can get, huge variety of sayings, sure theres some repetition, but you'll also hear new stuff from the team a YEAR after playing, like, on NFL2K2, I only ever heard Dan bagging the other guy for saying 'you can't coach that' once, and it was one of the funniest things I've heard in a game. Commentary isn't really that important, but I love the 2k3 commentary, while I turn it off in Madden 04, since I've heard the same damn boring thing in Madden 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.

It's just an atmosphere thing in the end, if it wasn't there, most times you wouldn't miss it, but if its good, it just adds that little extra to the game. Unfortunately a bad commentary can make a bad game worse, i.e rugby 2004, the commentary is just painful.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
KimmorleyKiller said:
it was an early beta version so im pretty sure the whole "number 2" thing will be fixed as well as the benny ikin adrian lamb mixup other than that i think the commentrys sweet!
That number 2 thing was pretty funny actually lol

Dog-E

Juniors
I have owned Pro Evolution soccer 3 on the PS2 for THREE days now....and already the commentary is p*ssing me the hell off!! :lol:

PES3 still remains the BEST soccer game Ive ever played though - and will continue to play for a very, very long time to come!! (Well, until PES4 anyway!! :p )

It gets to the stage of boring where even if u cant turn it off as such - u just block it out mentally anyway! Like everyone else I either tend to commentate in my head, or if playing with mates, we're all talking such trash to each other that listening to any commentary over the top of us carrying on like twits, would be impossible anyway!!! :lol:

Commentary is just the icing on the cake - if its no good, just scrape it off 2 the side!...I still cannot wait for this game to come out!!

And heheheh - Yeah I remember being dead impressed at the commentary in ARL 96 too - as it was pretty much the first game id ever owned that even HAD any commentary!!....it was a new 'art' that it has to be said - hasnt really imporved a WHOLE lot down the years!...But as someone said - how BAD were Fatty's 'Sideline eye' comments in ARL 96?!!?....Garbage!!....Hmmmm, pretty much for all the world like the crap he dishes out in real life too actually, now I think about it!!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts