What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators that have and don't have something to say.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Commentators with something to say:

Warren Ryan - Has new and different ideas on how to improve the game itself that you won't hear anywhere else. Also has technical insights that go far beyond the usual analysis.

Phil Gould - Whether or not you agree with him you have to acknowledge he is rarely boring. He regularly states controversial opinions.

Warren Smith - Not afraid to go after certain people and anyone who speaks out against Joey has some guts.

David Morrow - Never afraid to tackle hard issues or press certain topics.

Commentators that sometimes have something to say:

Greg Alexander - Plays it fairly straight but I think he has the stength to say what he thinks. Not as boring as other callers.

Gary Freeman - Plays it reasonably straight too but quite often cuts through crap and gives a very bullsh*t free answer.

MG- Some of his ideas may be stupid but at least he says controversial things eg Brisbane won't figure this year, Jason Ryles is sh*t etc.

Paul Vautin - Not sure if he's just pissed he's off the commentary team now for NRL games but at origin time he seems to let loose.

Rabs - Is a caller so doesn't really get too involved in the politics of the game but he will speak his mind in a game.

Commentators that have nothing to say

The Johns brothers - When was the last time you heard the Johns brothers make any kind of controversial remark or offer some kind of insight that you couldn't uncover yourself. They state the obvious and always uphold the status quo.

Peter Sterling - Sterling never really says anything controversial and rarely steps outside the box to shock you or make you think wow. He's pedestrian and despite having this reputation that he is this very wise analyst he rarely shares that knowledge.

Paul Harigan - Is way too safe.

Laurie Daley - Seems to talk a lot without really having any impact.

Wayne Pearce - See Laurie Daley

Thats all I can be bothered to analyze right now. If you have more add them. I'm just making the point theres only a few commentators that you'll hear genuine unique opinions from.

Red Bear

Referee
you heard sterling on abc when hes on? Certainly has something to say outside the chanel 9 environment, too often at 9 he is the mediator.

shiznit

Coach
Sterlo isnt afraid to speak his mind. ive heard him make good comments in the past on a range of topics from Jamie Lyon at Manly to the Warriors when they rorted the cap.

he just tries to stay out of the media spotight when he doesnt need to be... unlike alot of others that seem to love the attention.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Yep Sterlo is one of the best commentators. Pretty much agree with the rest of your list though.

Ausguy

Coach
ben ikin is the biggest toss, if its not lateral shift its "middle third"... and his brisbane bias is so painful. 1 thing il give sterlo is he is very unbiased, i enjoy his comments.

ray warren (who everyone loves for some reason) is great when all he is doing is calling the game... but the deadset wankers show on MMM on saturday morning is an embarrassment for him... he should not be allowed on radio, its woeful he never has anything positive to say and he is not good at talking up the game in a positive manner... gould well he will aslways have his agendas...

mat thompson (under 20's caller) is a champ a future star, and the rest of the ex players trying to be comentators are just a joke

Patorick

Staff member
jasonstevens_narrowweb__300x472,0.jpg

hellteam

First Grade
An annoying thing about Laurie Daley that he always does is, for example.

The Darren LockyerS and Mark GasnierS of the game....

ahh, theres only one of them.

Chapsta

Juniors
An annoying thing about Laurie Daley that he always does is, for example.

The Darren LockyerS and Mark GasnierS of the game....

ahh, theres only one of them.

People say that. It means players that are similar.

Daley has another annoying quirk: There is no silent C when pronouncing Bron-cos.

bartman

Immortal
Peter Sterling - Sterling never really says anything controversial and rarely steps outside the box to shock you or make you think wow. He's pedestrian and despite having this reputation that he is this very wise analyst he rarely shares that knowledge.
Disagree.

"Having something to say" isn't always a good thing, as far as commentary goes? I don't want to watch a game and be stunned into passive distress by wall-to-wall controversial opinions that some well-paid blokes feel the need to spout, instead of them just calling the game, and analysing it when play breaks down.

Silence is good too... allows people to form their own opinions, not just have it rammed down their throats.

I'm always happy when Sterlo is on a game/panel, because I know I'm going to get quality comment, and not just hot air for the sake of it. As for most of the rest, I've learned to use the mute button...

There is some truly awful commentary these days, and you only have to watch a tape of Ray Warren in the 80s to see how TV commentary should be like - one guy calling, one guy analysing, one guy on the sideline. Shame, it's really overkill how they try and present it now.

Commentators with something to say:

Warren Ryan - Has new and different ideas on how to improve the game itself that you won't hear anywhere else. Also has technical insights that go far beyond the usual analysis.

Phil Gould - Whether or not you agree with him you have to acknowledge he is rarely boring. He regularly states controversial opinions.

Warren Smith - Not afraid to go after certain people and anyone who speaks out against Joey has some guts.

David Morrow - Never afraid to tackle hard issues or press certain topics.

Commentators that sometimes have something to say:

Greg Alexander - Plays it fairly straight but I think he has the stength to say what he thinks. Not as boring as other callers.

Gary Freeman - Plays it reasonably straight too but quite often cuts through crap and gives a very bullsh*t free answer.

MG- Some of his ideas may be stupid but at least he says controversial things eg Brisbane won't figure this year, Jason Ryles is sh*t etc.

Paul Vautin - Not sure if he's just pissed he's off the commentary team now for NRL games but at origin time he seems to let loose.

Rabs - Is a caller so doesn't really get too involved in the politics of the game but he will speak his mind in a game.

The Johns brothers - When was the last time you heard the Johns brothers make any kind of controversial remark or offer some kind of insight that you couldn't uncover yourself. They state the obvious and always uphold the status quo.

Paul Harigan - Is way too safe.

Laurie Daley - Seems to talk a lot without really having any impact.

Wayne Pearce - See Laurie Daley

Thats all I can be bothered to analyze right now. If you have more add them. I'm just making the point theres only a few commentators that you'll hear genuine unique opinions from.

good post, i enjoyed that analysis

daley knows lots about league but he loves using too many cliches.

harrogan is the worst on the footy show

gregstar

Referee
ray hadley is a petty, agenda-driven, self-serving individual.

he is one of the worst aspects of rugby league.

he is the nrl's testicular cancer.