What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Iamback

Coach
Yes. Seen it and been on the end of similar shit it myself.

Different people, different perceptions, different reactions.

People who've never experienced it will try pigeonhole it into a nice neat compartment and then expect/hope everyone to abide the same way. Not gonna happen.

Correct, it is the downside to having such a diverse sport

Canard

Immortal
Where did I say it was?

Leinu admitted to being called similar things but shrugged them off. I am sure there are others in that boat. Does it make their stance wrong?

I am sure Luai cops some horrible shit particularly on Insta.

That is the thing with something like this, Not everyone reacts the same. Maybe the game needs to bring in a no taunting rule or something to stop similar things
So, people should just suck it up?
Google 1four you f**kwit.

They are litterally a gang, That are samoan who rap and as such have been banned from doing shows.

The Penrith islanders love their music and know them 1st hand
That's a tiny niche.

And even then, I'm sure they don't refer to Indigenous people as "monkeys".

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes. Seen it and been on the end of similar shit it myself.

Different people, different perceptions, different reactions.

People who've never experienced it will try pigeonhole it into a nice neat compartment and then expect/hope everyone to abide the same way. Not gonna happen.

But by saying this you admit by inference that Mam is perfectly within his rights to take it as a slur?

Different people and different perceptions and all that...Leniu should know better. Hard to believe some people find that controversial?

But by saying this you admit by inference that Mam is perfectly within his rights to take it as a slur?

Different people and different perceptions and all that...Leniu should know better. Hard to believe some people find that controversial?

Entirely within his rights. I'm not debating that Spencer deserved to be punished. If Ezra felt slurred, then end of story. Spencer deserved to be punished for being a hot headed knob regardless. It wasn't the first time in that game he lost the plot.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Spencer has used the exact same term before on another pacifica/indigenous player who simply just gave it back. That's how I reacted. Is it right? It certainly doesn't fit the narrative of Latrell and other social media grandstanders. But I dont give a fk quite frankly. My perception, my reaction.

This will never be as cut and dried as the hand wringers - on all sides - would like to think it is.

Canard

Immortal
Entirely within his rights. I'm not debating that Spencer deserved to be punished. If Ezra felt slurred, then end of story. Spencer deserved to be punished for being a hot headed knob regardless. It wasn't the first time in that game he lost the plot.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Spencer has used the exact same term before on another pacifica/indigenous player who simply just gave it back. That's how I reacted. Is it right? It certainly doesn't fit the narrative of Latrell and other social media grandstanders. But I dont give a fk quite frankly. My perception, my reaction.

This will never be as cut and dried as the hand wringers - on all sides - would like to think it is.
I think you've nailed it very succinctly.

Its why I laugh when people say "Well Anthony Mundine says its alright, so therefore Mam should just say nothing"

Bazal

Post Whore

I agree with that but I think that it's naive of anybody to think Spencer had no idea that what he said could have been offensive. I have thoughts on that that maybe are best not to discuss on the forum though.

I'm anglo as f**k and have been racially abused, and I'm the same as you I couldn't give a f**k cos the meaning is very different. But I also wouldn't go around abusing anyone else in the same way. I think that's the disconnect that people seem to have. It is, IMO, every bit that cut and dried in terms of saying Spencer should know better.

yobbo84

Coach
Think what you want about Mundine, his hammering of Trell is top drawer - he’s absolutely right in what he’s said about his form, and where Trell thinks he stands in the game from a legacy perspective.
He’s said the things about Trell that most people think, but would likely be accused of racism if they ever voiced them….
Trell is a merkin, what colour of a merkin is absolutely irrelevant.
The whole "argument" reminds me of that Bill Burr bit about how women argue...

Mundine lost the race debate as has "gone rogue", as Burr puts it.

skeepe

Immortal
Whenever someone tries to tell you that the Roosters are professionally run, point them to their handling of this incident as a counter argument.

Then again, some might say they're a reflection on their fans, who on another forum are united as one in claiming that Spencer is the innocent victim of a woke witchhunt. Some are even boycotting the NRL until Leniu returns to the field.

They've now taken the mantle for worst fans and club in the game from the Panthers, at least for now.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Whenever someone tries to tell you that the Roosters are professionally run, point them to their handling of this incident as a counter argument.

Then again, some might say they're a reflection on their fans, who on another forum are united as one in claiming that Spencer is the innocent victim of a woke witchhunt. Some are even boycotting the NRL until Leniu returns to the field.

They've now taken the mantle for worst fans and club in the game from the Panthers, at least for now.
I accept your challenge...

Haha, classic. The AFL must love the inroads it has made into the Sydney market.

It also stated Leniu, who is being represented by prominent barrister James McLeod, would have been aware of the racial vilification Swans great Adam Goodes endured during his career, which included a high-profile incident of being called an “ape” .

Leniu denied both assertions and remarkably even stated he doesn’t know who Goodes is, according to NCA Newswire reporting from the hearing, despite living in Sydney for most of his life.
That was a strange comment as I work with people that wouldn't know who he was or any NRL player's name - they don't follow any of the football codes.