What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concussion Rule - should it be changed (AKA did India cheat?)

I don’t like the concussion replacement rule, never have. That’s not an hindsight armchair critic view after the events at the T20 in Canberra, I didn’t even like it when Marnus was brought in in the Ashes.

My view is yes, concussions must be taken seriously. But to be able to replace someone in a match - I’m not a fan. It can be exploited and was last night in the most blatant of ways by India to their advantage.

As for the rule - I’d suggest that the nominated 12th man is the only person who can be subbed in. It’s the only way to avoid debate on “like for like”... it’s clear cut who can come on. The rule still may be open to exploitation but to a far less degree than India did.

Did India cheat?

Absolutely. But the system and weak match officials let them get away with it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
India didn't cheat, they exploited the rules as they currently stand to their advantage so good on them. Now, though, the rule needs to be changed so that it is a like for like replacement.

Before a game the subs are nominated. For example, Cameron Green is nominated as the batting sub if a batsmen is concussed during the game. AJ Tye is nominated as the bowling sub for any bowler concussed during the game. And that's it, if another player is concussed than a non batting/bowling player substitutes.

Australia were apparently pissed off that the concussion assessment was done during the innings break. Considering the incident happened in the last over of the Indian innings its a bit of a nothing whinge.

Pommy

Coach
I wouldn’t be upset if you could nominate two players as concussion replacements. Prior to the toss you nominate which would be a replacement for which players. Obviously a bowler and a batsman and you get to decide what priority you’re placing on all rounders.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its a fine line between cheating and exploitation

its not as though NRL teams have never exploited the concussion rule

simmo1

First Grade
Australia should have been cheering Chahal was subbed in after the fruit he bowled in the ODIs.

Latest posts