What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confessions of a Bulldog: inside football's darkest scandal

gong_eagle

First Grade
Confessions of a Bulldog: inside football's darkest scandal

Jessica Halloran | March 14, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2009/03/13/1236919566414.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

IT IS a balmy night in Coffs Harbour. You and your mates are having a good time. A young woman is weeping. You can't see what her problem is.
You are one of six Bulldogs players who is about to be accused of gang rape.
It is an allegation rugby league is all too familiar with. Now one of the men at the centre of the game's most notorious scandal has decided to provide a compelling insider's view into the mindset of accused players.
He reveals that even as the police investigation rolled on, they felt not so much as a flicker of fear that they could end up behind bars.
Even when the media attention hit fever pitch, he says the players did not flinch and the atmosphere in the dressing-room barely changed.
The players did not care what people outside the club thought of them. Life was about football and football only, regardless of the severity of the accusations.
It was not until a few months later, within the walls of his own home, that the enormity of the allegations hit the accused footballer. After a bit of banter with his cousin about what had happened in Coffs Harbour, it suddenly hit him - "I could have ended up in jail," he thought.
"Yeah, it was stressful," the former Bulldog tells the Herald. "I don't really think about things too much, things blow over my head a bit, but you know I was sitting there one day with my cousin and I thought to myself, 'Say they believed her - I could have ended up in jail, you know'. I didn't really think about it too much … It just hit me, what could have happened."
Perhaps he had not thought about it because no one else at the club seemed to have been thinking about it, either. The Bulldogs, after all, had continued as normal, the same old training drills leading into what seemed a perfectly normal season, that ended with them winning the 2004 premiership.
"We were very tight obviously to come through and win everything," he says. "To be honest, things went on as normal, training and that was normal, nothing really affected us."
The footballer says he and the other players had even laughed at the newspaper articles, including the one mocking them for wearing boardshorts and thongs when they turned up to give DNA samples at police headquarters in Sydney. "You'd pick up the paper and read crap in there and laugh at it pretty much," he says.
"The police didn't even care. We weren't going there to be questioned. We were going there to give a saliva sample. I just walked in and then we left. I don't know, maybe it looked like we weren't taking it seriously. I thought it was pretty funny."

In a crisis like this, similar to the one unfolding at the Manly Sea Eagles right now, it is important the club's hierarchy is on your side, the footballer says. It keeps the footy club unified.
"As long as the hierarchy stands with you, then everyone is fine," the footballer says.
"Everyone was on the same page - we didn't do anything wrong, we don't have to say sorry for anything."
Steve Folkes, who was the Bulldogs coach at the time, did not address the players specifically about the incident. Why not?
"It was pretty evident that it wasn't really affecting anyone that much," the player says. "We were all the same guys chasing around the footy at training. We'd finish training, go out, muck around, whatever, hang out, whatever. Football-wise, I can't speak for everyone about at home whatever, but at football it was just the same really.
"We knew nothing wrong had been done. It didn't faze anyone. We all just got together and didn't worry about anything they were saying. We didn't really care."
When the allegations first surfaced in February, some players felt an urge to declare their innocence. The club's lawyers advised against saying anything.
"I thought why not just say something but the lawyers at the time told us that the police have got nothing and not to give them anything," the footballer says. "I didn't really understand it but they were paying them a lot of money for what they were doing so we all went along with it."
He speaks of the woman who made the allegations with disdain and blames her for the scrutiny placed on today's footballers.
"It's a shame to think one person has done," he says. "I think it's changed a lot of other things now. Even in general life as well as sport, everyone is getting too uptight. They're trying to take the fun out of everything."
He wishes the woman was charged with being a public nuisance.
"I hate it [the allegations]," he says. "I don't understand how someone can do that. Be nice if she could have got a bit of justice her way. We were told pretty much that we could have had her charged with being a public nuisance. They said you're as close as that to having her charged, to pretty much have it proved, she had to admit she was lying. Which I doubt she was going to admit she was lying."
Eventually the Director of Public Prosecutions decided there was "insufficient evidence" to charge the footballers and the Bulldogs went on to beat the Roosters in that year's grand final.
Malcolm Noad, then the Bulldogs chief executive, infamously remarked: "Let's believe nothing happened at Coffs Harbour."
"I think players knew from the start that we were going to have a good year and probably go close to winning it," the footballer says.
"[Coffs] probably drove everyone a little bit more. We were a bit selfish, we didn't think we needed to keep everyone happy, we had done nothing wrong, so we didn't care what anyone else thought. That's it."
Players received abusive phone calls and were taunted by rival fans as "rapists".
"It was worse for certain players. It's a pretty despicable thing. Boys can get rowdy and that on the drink but it was just ridiculous the things that were being reported. The whole accusation was ridiculous."

This struck me as a bit of a self-justifying puff piece. I very much doubt the players were as lilywhite as the player is portraying nor the woman involved as wrong as he is saying.

Wonder which player it was?

One thing the police screwed up in this case was not separating the players from each other as soon as the allegations were made. They were given plenty of opportunity to get their stories straight before talking to the police. They should have been interviewed separately immediately before they had these chances.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Thurston, Mason, OMealy, Hughes, Matua, Tonga... probably more ive missed
could be anyone of them... except i highly doubt Shrek in this case... the rest though :?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Maybe just maybe the players were innocent and actually DIDN'T commit a crime.

The media had a field day with this, maybe the should be questioned.

Why have we never seen this girl? You can't tell me in this day and age that some trash tabloid newspaper or television show wouldn't offer her some cash to get her story?

Maybe there was no story........

Christmas Ape

Juniors
This is the lead story on the SMH website this morning, under the banner 'Dogged By Scandal'.

No mention of the 2 exciting games of footy played last night until you get right down the bootom of the page.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the media were hell bent on derailing the season already.

mongoose

Coach
I think the fact that they just got on with the job and won the premiership confirmed nothing ever happened. If you were truly fearful you were going to get caught for rape you would not have the focus and determination to pull together and win a premiership. I guess people will still bring out the "where theres smoke theres fire" cliche....

mongoose

Coach
This is the lead story on the SMH website this morning, under the banner 'Dogged By Scandal'.

No mention of the 2 exciting games of footy played last night until you get right down the bootom of the page.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the media were hell bent on derailing the season already.

did you even read it? it's not negative.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
did you even read it? it's not negative.

I didn't say it was.

I just don't know why they'd have to lead with a story about an event that happened years ago under a banner with the bulldogs logo and the word 'Scandal'.

Plenty of things happened last night that are more newsworthy in my opinion.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Finally they have come out and beginning to tell the truth. I remember Steve Mortimer saying how the media ran wild with the word allegedly. Basically they could accuse the players of anything and they did.

It must also make people think if the media can make up a story such as the Bulldogs case with little or no proof, what else can they run wild with? How much truth is there behind the Greg Bird and Anthony stewart alleged assaults? I would bet very little. I know Bird is waiting for his day in court before he speaks out.

We all need to understand how the media fan hysteria to drive up sales and viewers etc which translates into greater revenue from advertisers.

Here is an interview with the lead detective from the Bulldogs "incident" from 2006, seems he knew within 48 hours the players were innocent. This seems to back up what the player in the Halloran story is saying ie. nothing happened.

Read this interview by the detective, Gary McEvoy who led the investigation

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=25196

Quote:
MCEVOY:
Well, no. Within the first forty-eight hours, approximately forty-eight hours, the .. we had twelve, twenty statements, for example of people that were in the area at the time. It just wasn't matching up. We still had to go through all the process of interviewing players and taking DNA, that was always going to happen. But within that short time that I just mentioned, it was becoming obvious to us as investigators that it was highly unlikely that anyone was going to be charged with the allegations
Quote:
MCEVOY:
Yes, and I'd go so far as the investigations manager - that was my position, detective senior sergeant - I'd go so far as to say that on Sunday the twenty-second of February, 2004, there was no woman raped in the pool area of the Pacific Bay Resort which .. that statement there that I've given you now is completely opposite to what my boss, my commander, was telling the media.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I didn't say it was.

I just don't know why they'd have to lead with a story about an event that happened years ago under a banner with the bulldogs logo and the word 'Scandal'.

Plenty of things happened last night that are more newsworthy in my opinion.

Agreed just as they are saying Stewart attacked a 17 year old...it's sensationalism.

ibeme

First Grade
There are still, and will continue to be, plenty of people who refuse to believe that this attack never occurred. The seed was sewn the moment that Ray Hadley read out the leaked and very graphic victim statement on the radio. The papers reported that the girl required stitches to repair the damage done, only to have it labelled as a total fabrication by the leading detective in his press conference. How the media can get away with such things is an absolute joke.

Dutchy

Immortal
The story mentioned he was with his cousin. Reni, all the way.

And the fact he reckons he is flat broke. Quick buck.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm guessing the former player was Brett Oliver. He's not as well known, but he was certainly there at the time. Could explain why he is allegedly broke too - he just wasn't very good.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Whats the point of releasing this article now?

2 great games last night, the point scoring record about to be broken, but the main article is an anonymous former Bulldog confessing nothing