What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confessions of a Bulldog: inside football's darkest scandal

Game_Breaker

Coach
I dare say they've got legal advice to not identify themselves sass, it's nothing to do with cowardice.

The fact they were "just laughing" at the whole thing might have something to do with the fact they knew they were innocent of the accusations?

That pisses me off too, the stigma will lie with the club. Even thought none of the players accused are no longer playing for the Bulldogs

Game_Breaker

Coach
No...they dont mean the same thing, moron.
anyone can say what they like when sentences are chopped up.
At the time they didnt know there was no rape, they had no idea something didnt happen to her, they only knew they were not involved, yet carried on like the whole thing was a game

Your support of players that thought a rape case was amusing shows the attitude towards women is not just confined to the players ranks in rugby league, poor attitude imo.

Please, talk about drawing a longbow.

There was no evidence of rape, witnesses contradicted her story. She was lucky she wasnt charged

ibeme

First Grade
No, they didnt know there was no rape, they knew they were not guilty.
Either way, its no laughing matter .
But continue to try and justify it.

They knew there was no rape

"I hate it [the allegations]," he says. "I don't understand how someone can do that. Be nice if she could have got a bit of justice her way. We were told pretty much that we could have had her charged with being a public nuisance. They said you're as close as that to having her charged, to pretty much have it proved, she had to admit she was lying. Which I doubt she was going to admit she was lying."

The media, and the public didn't know, but the players obviously knew that she was lying from the outset. MvEvoy said that within 48 hours, they considered charging her.

Dogaholic

First Grade
No...they dont mean the same thing, moron.
anyone can say what they like when sentences are chopped up.
At the time they didnt know there was no rape, they had no idea something didnt happen to her, they only knew they were not involved, yet carried on like the whole thing was a game

Your support of players that thought a rape case was amusing shows the attitude towards women is not just confined to the players ranks in rugby league, poor attitude imo.

lol wow, you're and idiot. did a bulldog player punch you in the face once upon a time?

innsaneink

Referee
Yet a player at the time thought it was funny.
And people here will support that.

So why's no one laughing 5 years on, whatever it is?

Just proves my point, attitudes have not changed

ibeme

First Grade

We weren't the ones getting falsely accused of rape, and none of us are in a position to dictate how someone should react in such a situation. It's like telling someone how they should grieve.

He said, that later on, he realised the possible implications. I'd image that most of the guys were sh*tting themselves, but were probably putting on brace faces. But I don't know that for sure.

Game_Breaker

Coach

lol ffs

They were laughing at the articles, you know like the ones criticising them for wearing shorts to meet police

The footballer says he and the other players had even laughed at the newspaper articles

ibeme

First Grade
This is the kind of thing that pisses me off most about this, and why the media should be more accountable for how they report such things. The players were falsely accused of a despicable crime. Their reputations have been dragged through the mud. The club's copped it from pillar to post, and so did the game of Rugby League. And now, despite it becoming more and more evident that this crime did not occur, the players are still copping it for their attitudes at the time that they were being investigated for a crime that they did not commit. They will wear this for the rest of their lives, and it's because so many presumed guilt from the outset that they viewed everything from that tainted perspective. They couldn't set a foot right from that point on. Everyone was looking for evil angles in everything they did.

They should be getting apologies for all the crap that was reported. The media should be apologising for their appalling attitudes.

And for those who criticise the investigators for giving the players time to 'corroborate' their story before being interviewed. The players were interviewed within the first few hours. Their stories were backed up by witnesses, and remained the same throughout the entire investigation.

SHARON O’NEILL: The four players were interviewed and videotaped at the Coffs Harbour Police Station just hours after the alleged assault. They told detectives one player had consensual sex with a woman in the pool in the early hours of that morning while two players watched. A fourth player had had sex with the same woman earlier in the evening. In the following 24 hours, the players' statements were being sported by independent witnesses.

GARY McEVOY, FORMER DETECTIVE: By the Monday afternoon, for example, we hadn't identified one witness that gave evidence that would support what our victim had told us up to that stage. The statements that we had taken by then - and they were getting close to about the 12 mark - were all consistent with what the three players – or the four players had told us immediately after the job had come in. So, we – we had serious concerns which way the investigation was going to go.

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/commo...et.au/stateline/nsw/content/2006/s1737619.htm

coolumsharkie

Referee
Did you actually read any of it?

He wanted to say something but was told not to by the laywers that the Dogs paid alot of money for.

ibeme

First Grade
If it was so innocent then why the f**king cloak and dagger routine?

Huh? What cloak and dagger stuff? A police investigation was underway. They weren't just going to go blabbing to the media. Their legal advice was to just remain quiet. They cooperated with police from the word go. Just because we weren't privvy to what was going on doesn't mean it was all cloak and dagger stuff.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly there was no cloak and dagger. It appeared to you there was because this was the slant/perception the media wanted to create. They like these stories to run for a week or two with a new exclusive every day or so thus maximising sales, viewership.

Read about the media and there use of hysteria nad sensationalism and you may understand exactly how they manipulate things to suit their agenda.

Time to be more cynical.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
People who claim these things happened 5 years ago and should be forgotten are the same sort of people who say the SL war should be forgotten about.

We should talk about Coffs and what happened until people know these players were INNOCENT and they went through hell so the media could make a few bucks.

Also to expose the media for what it is and destroy their credibilty for future stories like this.

Everyone needs to know the players, club and the game were manipulated to suit an agenda.

mongoose

Coach
People who claim these things happened 5 years ago and should be forgotten are the same sort of people who say the SL war should be forgotten about.

We should talk about Coffs and what happened until people know these players were INNOCENT and they went through hell so the media could make a few bucks.

Also to expose the media for what it is and destroy their credibilty for future stories like this.

Everyone needs to know the players, club and the game were manipulated to suit an agenda.

theres too many deadsh*ts (some on these forums) who cant think for themselves and just beleive what they want to beleive.

Chachi

Bench
This is the lead story on the SMH website this morning, under the banner 'Dogged By Scandal'.

No mention of the 2 exciting games of footy played last night until you get right down the bootom of the page.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the media were hell bent on derailing the season already.
These days the SMH is a big a piece of sh*t as the Telegraph. Typical of the Sydney media who are hellbent on sensationalising any bit of negative press.

Thank god the Raiders have the Canberra Times.

Brutus

Referee
Graeme Hughes said on his show today to expect all of this to be exposed in the coming months in a big way.

Dragon

Coach
Exactly there was no cloak and dagger. It appeared to you there was because this was the slant/perception the media wanted to create. They like these stories to run for a week or two with a new exclusive every day or so thus maximising sales, viewership.

Read about the media and there use of hysteria and sensationalism and you may understand exactly how they manipulate things to suit their agenda.

Time to be more cynical.

Well said

Green Machine

First Grade
The front page article from Jessica Halloran is disgraceful. It is nothing more than a dog whistle to put a seed in the minds anyone who wants to think a rape took place in Coffs Harbour. In last weekends SMH’s News Review that went further and alleged a woman was raped 10 years ago but no names were mentioned. Here is Magnay going off again during the week

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/experts/jacquelin-magnay/roosters-coach-comes-across-as-a-prize-goose/2009/03/18/1237054906118.html

Is Fittler from the same mould as former Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad, who famously remarked - and then retracted - "Let's believe nothing happened in Coffs Harbour," when the Director of Public Prosecutions ruled there was insufficient evidence to press charges against Bulldogs players?

I have never seen someone who is so obsessed with Coff Harbour as Jacquelin Magnay. I wonder what she is trying to say? Does she think someone was raped but there was insufficient evidence to press charges against Bulldogs players?

bartman

Immortal
I wonder what she is trying to say? Does she think someone was raped but there was insufficient evidence to press charges against Bulldogs players?
Well, der.... I'd say her and 50% of the general population probably are of that belief, regardless of how often bulldogs CEOs or fans tell us that "not guilty" proves "nothing actually happened" rather than "not enough evidence for a guilty verdict"?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In other words, you also believe the media tripe that has the Bulldogs so victimised to this day by the general public?

Five years on we still cop it when it is MORE THAN LIKELY nothing illegal occured.