What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings in here

ghoti

Bench
somethingwithjohn said:
Stapleton can be a very good player as well, if anyone watched last week Panthers vs Tigers - he tore the tigers apart. He isnt the most consistant player but when he is turned on he can be as good as any of the top tier fowards.
His 2004 season with Parramatta was very consistent I thought, IMO he was probably their best that year along with Lee Hopkins. I think he's potentially a very good signing...anything can happen when a player shifts clubs.

steveb69

Juniors
Stapleton = another red head who has had a run in with HOPPA on the field..
just a fight..

sharkadelic

Juniors
If Villa and Hutch go, we will need another prop with experience (based on 2 props on the bench rotation). From all accounts, Selmes needs at least another year to make the grade

Stapleton is not asking for much so I say go for it. If only we could unload Mapp to help us secure a marquee centre.

sharks8601

Juniors
imasharkie said:
I see Stapleton 1s a better prospect than Mapp.

Where is Finn from..............NZ

he played for windsor in the jim beam cup last year, steered them to the minor and major premiership
i believe he was the captain to
they had big rapps on him but that was only in the jim beam cup
be interesting to see how he goes in the nrl

carcharias

Immortal
Hard work pays off for Stapleton
July 3, 2006

YEARS of struggle and sacrifice have finally paid off for Penrith battler Craig Stapleton after he signed a six-figure deal to join Sharks next season.

While the NRL's elite can command in excess of $500,000 a season, Stapleton has been struggling to feed his family of six on the league's minimum wage of just $37,500 this year.

Such has been the financial hardship on the journeyman prop that he has been forced to work alongside his father on the rail yards on his day off training.

"It's hard for a family man to be on that sort of money," Stapleton said today.

"It's not too bad if you're a single bloke, you can get by, but when you have a family to feed it's really hard.

"There's no way (we could do it for another season), there's not a chance we could have and I wouldn't want to put my family through that either.

"We knew this year would be tough and I spoke about that with my family.

"They said it was my last chance (in rugby league) and stood by me, so I didn't want to put them through it again."

The two-year deal with the Sharks will allow the Stapleton family to move back into their house at Shellharbour after renting in Penrith during his stint with the Panthers.

The durable 27-year-old said it would be a luxury to be able to concentrate exclusively on football and not have to supplement his income with another job.

"It can be hard sometimes, but it's not too bad," he said of his days driving freight company trains.

"At least now it's not a necessity, if I want to work I can and if I don't have to I don't have to."

The former Parramatta and St George Illawarra bookend, described by coach John Lang as his best forward this season, applauded the NRL's move to increase the minimum wage to $50,000 and said the latest contract justified his decision to return to the NRL.

"Playing for a club that was coming last every week, I was pretty close (to quitting) last year," he said of his ill-fated stint with English second division side Leigh.

"We've had to move around a little bit and this year was more about getting reinstated in the NRL.

"It has done its job."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19667269-23210,00.html

choc_soldier

Coach
Good work Sharkies, you have got yourself a good workhorse that will not let you down. If he goes as well as he's gone for Penrith this year, he deserves every single extra cent he'll earn.

Why we didn't move in and re-sign him, I'll never know...

White Poiner

Coach
ghoti said:
His 2004 season with Parramatta was very consistent I thought, IMO he was probably their best that year along with Lee Hopkins. I think he's potentially a very good signing...anything can happen when a player shifts clubs.

Lee even got a run in the halves that year.

carcharias

Immortal
I just want us to sign someone called Gary...
So we can sing

Go Gary Go
Go Gary Go
GOOOOOOOOOOO Gary

Do the dance as well.

Inferno

Coach
Didn't want to create a new thread so I thought I'd throw it in here.

Marshall Chalk signed with the Green Machine for a further 2 years. Another one we missed out on if we were looking at him.

imasharkie

Coach
Damn thats bad news Inferno.

He would've been a great signing.

Thats 2 times now we've tried and failed.

Oh well if he wants to play as a bench forward, good luck to him.