What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conn admits drug script forgery

raidersforme

Juniors
NRL's Conn admits drug script forgery

May 8, 2008 - 1:10PM

Rugby league player Daniel Conn has been ordered to perform community service after admitting to twice forging painkiller prescriptions.
The Gold Coast Titans forward pleaded guilty at Southport Magistrates Court on Thursday to two charges of obtaining a controlled drug by using a prescription written by someone other than a doctor.
But the 22-year-old escaped conviction, and was sentenced to 60 hours of community service for twice trying to obtain the painkillers, Valium and Tramal, at a Gold Coast pharmacy.
He received the drugs from the pharmacy last December, but a repeated attempt three weeks later was thwarted by suspicious staff.
His solicitor, Campbell MacCallum, told the court his client had been legally prescribed the drugs for a back injury received at the Canterbury Bulldogs in 2006.
Conn attempted the forgeries after being given the less-powerful Panadol, which had failed to ease his pain, Mr MacCallum said.
After an internal investigation conducted by the Titans in January, Conn was fined $5,000 and ordered to see a sports psychologist.
Outside court, Mr MacCallum said his client was happy the matter was finalised and was looking forward to focusing on his football.
"He's pleased that it's over," Mr MacCallum told AAP.
"I think the magistrate accepted that there was no criminal behaviour, really, behind it and it is really a matter where he was previously prescribed painkillers and that he required those painkillers because of his injury.
"But I know (Conn's) disappointed that he's had to drag the club into it."
He said the club conducted an internal investigation and took into account Conn's personal circumstances.
"Instead of hanging him out to dry, so to speak, they have supported him," Mr MacCallum said.
He said Conn already conducted volunteer coaching with disadvantaged children and would try to incorporate that into his community service over the next 12 months.

http://news.smh.com.au/nrls-conn-admits-drug-script-forgery/20080508-2c6f.html

innsaneink

Referee
Coulda done oh so much more with that headline:

"Conn's no conviction on attempted con on chem."

forward pass

Coach
If he needed them for pain - then why not just get a prescription.

I think there may be more to this story than meets the eye !

skeepe

Immortal
Should be banned from the game for two years. No surprises that he plays for the scum from the north.

sharko

Juniors
The Gold Coast amounts to bleached hair, cheap tarts, dodgy developers and druggies..it is a sh*thole..no wonder Conn wants to take drugs, he has to escape the reality of the place somehow!

dubby

Bench
he had trouble overcoming the pain of losing his male modelling contract.

Go easy on him.

At least he has nice eyes.

RainMan

Juniors
The Gold Coast amounts to bleached hair, cheap tarts, dodgy developers and druggies..it is a sh*thole..no wonder Conn wants to take drugs, he has to escape the reality of the place somehow!

To somewhere along your lines of reality?

Tunguska

Juniors
I agree with Sharko... the GC is a royal sh*thole.

- Average (Anasta-level overrated) beaches
- Tarty girls
- Wannabe names for suburbs/development (try 'Oceanview Dreams' and Miami)
- People who think they're classy

Raider_69

Post Whore
Id have gone with "Conn Job" for the headline

Someone outta punch this blokes lights out, opps, too late!

no name

Coach

Ahh jealousy's a curse

Patorick

Staff member
Wonder what Weirdler will have to say on Sunday about his mate Conn now that this has come out.

I agree with Sharko...

- Tarty girls

Yep, that sums up the shire for me.

jeez...it's like two people from Broken Hill and Dubbo debating which place is a bigger sh*thole.

DEADHEAT.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
I agree with Sharko... the GC is a royal sh*thole.

- Tarty girls
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Cronulla for a second.

Latest posts