What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup highlights

Looks to me like he got sent off for laughing. WTF did the referee see there that justified anything? He got 'headbutted' in the play the ball, and did nothing, then got a weak shot from Horsburgh and laughed. Ale, I can understand getting walked because he flew in from the side. But the Laban one, that's actually really admirable restraint to not belt the red headed twat...and he gets sent anyway.

And not only we lose two players to their one, even though Horsburgh was the instigator, they score a try off the blatant obstruction, too.

Honestly, I would love to hear people's thoughts as to why rugby league referees seem to be the absolute worst officials in sport. These guys (and girls) honestly, they are f**king useless. Every week we get an absolute headscratcher, and it's not even in real time - these guys generally (I know this game is not an example) get a lot of looks at it, ie the CNK 'no arms' tackle on the weekend, and still get it horribly wrong.
To be fair the NRL interfere with the referees a whole heap. I mean who would want to officiate RL when the powers in the NRL make it even more difficult for them? Then you look who is the referee boss is and it all makes sense why it's pretty dire.

Which sport has the best officiating these days? I don't watch that many sports now, only the league and UFC (The UFC have their pearlers too lol)

Big Marn

Bench
To be fair the NRL interfere with the referees a whole heap. I mean who would want to officiate RL when the powers in the NRL make it even more difficult for them? Then you look who is the referee boss is and it all makes sense why it's pretty dire.

Which sport has the best officiating these days? I don't watch that many sports now, only the league and UFC (The UFC have their pearlers too lol)
NBA and NFL can have some atrocious calls too. Soccer with the VAR stuff.... Hows the AFL? I dont watch it.

NBA and NFL can have some atrocious calls too. Soccer with the VAR stuff.... Hows the AFL? I dont watch it.
AFL? I have never watched an entire game ever lol however, have watched highlights and bits and pieces over the years.

Has cricket gotten better over the years? They seem to have the most up to date methods at one point.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Oh yeah for sure, it's in the way it's officiated from HQ as well. When I say that, I mean in the way that Annesley is making a dog's breakfast of it. I think V'Landys and co have actually streamlined the game pretty well, in terms of the rules. Six again has been one of the best rules restructures I've seen in a long time.

I think rugby is officiated better than league, and their rules are a grubby mess of technicalities and interpretations. Cricket is pretty straight forward, save for the odd shocker with DRS.

Technology in sport is a microcosm for life. We think we're making life better for ourselves with technology - and in some instances we are - but it often just invents new issues that fall into place of the old ones, and overall satisfaction is still not achieved.

Oh yeah for sure, it's in the way it's officiated from HQ as well. When I say that, I mean in the way that Annesley is making a dog's breakfast of it. I think V'Landys and co have actually streamlined the game pretty well, in terms of the rules. Six again has been one of the best rules restructures I've seen in a long time.

I think rugby is officiated better than league, and their rules are a grubby mess of technicalities and interpretations. Cricket is pretty straight forward, save for the odd shocker with DRS.

Technology in sport is a microcosm for life. We think we're making life better for ourselves with technology - and in some instances we are - but it often just invents new issues that fall into place of the old ones, and overall satisfaction is still not achieved.
Really? Man, I find most rugby officiating incredibly frustrating.

Given the (relative) simplicity of RL laws, NRL officials do a remarkable job of somehow still stuffing things up regularly, but in an absolute sense, I think there's far less to be frustrated about compared to rugby.

Like NRL refs, rugby refs are a slave to HQ meddling as well but at least Annesley is local and answerable to the same stakeholders. Rugby ref meddling is courtesy of WR where rules and interpretations are shaped according to NH agendas.

Meth

Staff member
Given the (relative) simplicity of RL laws, NRL officials do a remarkable job of somehow still stuffing things up regularly

That's probably the most frustrating thing- how they manage to consistently over-complicate the simple.

Union is similarly frustrating at times.

I thought the refereeing in the Super Rugby tournament was pretty good though. It wasn't an issue.

That's probably the most frustrating thing- how they manage to consistently over-complicate the simple.

Union is similarly frustrating at times.

I thought the refereeing in the Super Rugby tournament was pretty good though. It wasn't an issue.
I honestly found SR tough, but maybe that was just the matches I watched.

TMO interventions still give me the shits; seems better than previous years, but I still think they're far far more involved than they should be. And by god the the deliberate knockdown rule is an absolute mind fk. The rule itself is not only utterly unnecessary but they make it even worse with their guidelines. I cant think of any other rule in sport that's more defined by what it's not, rather than what it is.

But overall, what makes NRL ref weirdism more palatable for me is knowing the NRL is more fan focused in their rule reviews, and have the means and will to change. If SANZAAR had the same autonomy as the NRL in setting its rules, I think SR would be an infinitely better product.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Really? Man, I find most rugby officiating incredibly frustrating.

Given the (relative) simplicity of RL laws, NRL officials do a remarkable job of somehow still stuffing things up regularly, but in an absolute sense, I think there's far less to be frustrated about compared to rugby.

Like NRL refs, rugby refs are a slave to HQ meddling as well but at least Annesley is local and answerable to the same stakeholders. Rugby ref meddling is courtesy of WR where rules and interpretations are shaped according to NH agendas.
I worded that less than ideally...rugby is officiated better than league, in the way the referees in rugby do a better job of delivering consistently upon the laws and even in the way they convey them to players. I don't remember the last time I heard a condescending union ref, but I hear it all the time in league. Union refs just seem much more professional, better spoken, and despite the absolute f**king kerfuffle they're expected to adjudicate on, they do (I reckon) as good a job as they can. League refs seem to make the simple f**king nonsensical, as you say.

Latest posts