What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conragts NZ

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
Congratulatons NZ. A fine performance by the Kiwis. Quicker, stronger and much smarter in all depts and a deserved victory.

Mind blowingly shocking officiating again but even if the bounces went GBs way and the 2 vid-trys went to GB, and Webb was done for a push on Weelens, and Simkins didnt restart the tackle count for no reason in 1st half before NZ scored then it still would have been a travesty if GB won.

Nice one Kiwis.

Roll on next week.:clap:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Cheers

btw- all of the NZ tries were correctly awarded, and the Pryce try was correctly not awarded. Just one dodgy call.

The 2nd dodgiest try on the night was the Poms try where Senior definitely impeded Vatuvei, although I thought it was innocuous enough to be a fair try

Balmain_Boy

I thought the Pryce call could have gone either way. I doubted whether Kidwell would have made the tackle, which leaves the try in the same category as one of Webb's tries (that was awarded).

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Balmain_Boy said:
I thought the Pryce call could have gone either way. I doubted whether Kidwell would have made the tackle, which leaves the try in the same category as one of Webb's tries (that was awarded).

He was in a perfectly good position to make the tackle. He definitely milked it though. But in the end, Pryce ran behind one of his own players who was in Kidwell's way, I thought it was quite straightforward.

The Webb/Cayless one was quite different because the player taken out was miles away whereas Kidwell was standing right in front of the eventual try scorer preparing to tackle him. But I'll admit I thought the Cayless thing was a *bit* dodgy.

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:

Thought the Pryce try was fine. They wouldnt have given obstruction for that in netball let alone RL. Thought Raynors try was 50/50 so no gripe. Dont understand where Simkins got 6 more tackles from for what was I think NZ's 3rd try in 1st half (lost count!) but it all makes no odds cos NZ were better by a long way.

Also thought NZ were very clever at play the ball holding down to slow GB which is fine if the ref is as weak as Simkins> GB not as smart and NZ so fast to get back on their feet.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I thought the Raynor try should have been awarded on the benefit of the doubt principle, while there was a hint of a fumble it wasn't enough to disallow the try. The two obstructionb rulings were fine, Kidwell would have definitely been in a position to have a go at Pryce if he hadn't been obstructed, whereas the Cayless obstruction occurred in a position where the fight of the ball would have beated the player in any case as the ball was passed in the opposite direction.

Balmain_Boy

Yeah I see why the Pryce try was ruled no try, I just find it frustrating.

The obstruction ruling should be one of strict liability imo. No matter where you do it on the field an, if a decoy takes out player it should be no try. You don't know what would have happened, but as the attacking team are responsible for the POSSIBLE infringement, they should bear the burden of that uncertainty.

Roby1

Juniors
Well done NZ, outplayed us in very department, boy did they want that win. Raynor? mmm don't think he was sure himself, but would of given it on the benefit. Pryce, sorry IMHO, deffo a try, Wellens made no lunge or movement, and Kidwell, has gone down in my estimation, milking it like he did, but hey! thats sport.

Take nothing away, we were well and truly broken.

Big shout out to Peacock, thought he played very well.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Roby1 said:
Well done NZ, outplayed us in very department, boy did they want that win. Raynor? mmm don't think he was sure himself, but would of given it on the benefit. Pryce, sorry IMHO, deffo a try, Wellens made no lunge or movement, and Kidwell, has gone down in my estimation, milking it like he did, but hey! thats sport.

Take nothing away, we were well and truly broken.

Big shout out to Peacock, thought he played very well.

Funny, that's the second Brit more certain on the Pryce "try" than the Raynor one.

Wellens didn't do anything wrong....it was Pryce's fault for running that line. Kidwell milked it and the contact was quite innocuous, but it was always going to be an obstruction given where the two were standing and the line Pryce ran.

Balmain_Boy

Shouldn't Kidwell have moved into a better position to make the tackle ie: in front of Wellens? Pryce ran the line a significant period of time after Wellens' decoy.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Balmain_Boy said:
Yeah I see why the Pryce try was ruled no try, I just find it frustrating.

The obstruction ruling should be one of strict liability imo. No matter where you do it on the field an, if a decoy takes out player it should be no try. You don't know what would have happened, but as the attacking team are responsible for the POSSIBLE infringement, they should bear the burden of that uncertainty.

The rule is fine as it's applied IMO. If there is any chance the obstructed player could have made the tackle then it's called an obstruction, but if it's so far off the ball that it wouldn't have made any difference then it's unnecessary.

Balmain_Boy said:
Shouldn't Kidwell have moved into a better position to make the tackle ie: in front of Wellens? Pryce ran the line a significant period of time after Wellens' decoy.

u could see kidwell trying to go around macgurie and then pryce saw that and went the other side of mcguire. easiest obstruction call all year.

JJ

Immortal
douglasallen91 said:
u could see kidwell trying to go around macgurie and then pryce saw that and went the other side of mcguire. easiest obstruction call all year.

dead-set no try... black and white for mine

But the Raynor one was a different story - I didn't think there was doubt, but even if there was it should have been awarded. Bizarre that the Poms seem to think they were wronged on the Pryce one, which looked more like NFL

Micistm

Bench
It's amazing how a jersey can make you go blind! The Kiwis were on fire, the officiating from my (Kiwi of course) point of view was fine. The obstruction was hysterically obvious to all but the most northern hemisphere accented, and the first controversial try to me was a knock on...the 'downward pressure' was as the ball was bouncing up!!!!!!! Check it again. Admittingly that was a 50/50 call, and boo hoo, it didn't go your way...but no way was it a DEFINATE try.

Micistm

Bench
...And I love these 'psuedo congratulations' thread where theres a brief begrudging admittance the opposition did well, just before getting stuck into officials who were not nearly as bad as one side would have you believe. It reminds me of listening to those two funny Pom commentators...whenever GB loses, it's always 'controversal', always, "Mr Harrigan, he's not a popular Ref over here." (You can change Harrigan to anyone). And so on. If you never admit the better team won on the night and leave it at that, you'll have those chips on your shoulders forever!!!

Latest posts