What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controlled Aggression vs. Stupid Thuggery

andrew057

First Grade
With talk again from NSW about how they're going to beat Queensland with aggression and toughness, picking Byrd and Snowden, reuniting the bash brothers blah blah blah. After hearing many of the same things before game II it prompted me to watch the game again.

It's little wonder NSW were embarrassed in game II. They were more concerned with swinging arms, elbowing players faces and late hits than they were with winning the game. Luckily for them the refs let most of it slide, but frankly it was quite embarrassing to see them so disheartened that they resort to dog acts to try and get themselves in the game.

What will we see in game III? More stupid thuggery from players trying to live up to fans expectations rather than winning the game? Or will they be able to control it and use it positively?

Doomednow

Bench
Game III last year: There was a fight and we won. For some reason the geniuss running the blues camp psyched everyone up to try the same thing again, thinking it was a winning strategy.

To be honest I cringe whenever I hear this kind of crap. The Blues arent doing themselves any favours, painting themselves as the less talented side getting upset they cant win so starting a fight. Go out and play hard, but do it fairly and with skill please. SOme of it is probably just get viewership up, but it always seems to be coming from the Blues camp. Whereas Queensland just sit back, let it all play out, then go and win the game. Oh then they talk up how much spirit and passion they have, and NSW has to be content with starting fights and still losing. Punching someone does not equal passion. Its embarrassing.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Well Gallen and Bird have lost every series they've been involved in so I've got no idea where their reputation comes from. They're perennial losers.

MightyBronco

Juniors
When was the last time grinding you elbow in the opponents face while he's on the ground won a game? Theres nothing tough about it, its just grubiness. And it looks just terrible on TV.

Im sick of such crap. The NRL should look into it. I reckon $5k fines everytime you do it.

RHCP

Bench
Well Gallen and Bird have lost every series they've been involved in so I've got no idea where their reputation comes from. They're perennial losers.
Our whole team is perennial losers, don't know why they'd be singled out.

Correct.

LOL @ the faggott ass "bash brothers". Yeah the woman glasser and the testicle fondler are reeeeaaally tough guys. :lol:

timka4

Bench
Yeah the woman glasser and the testicle fondler are reeeeaaally tough guys. :lol:
haha nice.

I too am also sick of all the sh*t that goes on about NSW being so tough when it's all just media sh*t; although the players do go through with all that is promised.

I couldn't care if we lose a fight, as long as we don't Ben Creagh it, I don't care.

I just wanna f**king win a series

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Gallen would be the butt of jokes in the Queensland camp. Does anyone honestly believe the Queensland forward pack have anything to fear from the grubby wanker?

Weels

Juniors
When was the last time grinding you elbow in the opponents face while he's on the ground won a game? Theres nothing tough about it, its just grubiness. And it looks just terrible on TV.

Im sick of such crap. The NRL should look into it. I reckon $5k fines everytime you do it.
The last time was Game 2. Prior to that I'd say about every game since 1980.
Oh! hang on that was the series of the punch. Your mate Arthur pole-axed one of the Blue's centres, and a club-mate of his, Michael Cronin. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Are we forgetting out of evreyone in game 2 there was no one more eager for a fight than Inglis?

I honestly don't see what everyones going on about. The LOD tackle last game was geniused but smacking Dave Taylor wasn't stupid thuggery. He just got his face swoled up by Sam Thaiday. I'd be pretty pissed too.

When Queenslanders are agressive(Inglis, Hodges, Thaiday, Crocker) nobody bats an eyelid, just part and parcell of their game. Whenever a Blues player does something it's thuggery.

Absolute nonsense.

Need I remind you also that last year Crocker started the fight in game 2. Price initiated the fight in game 3 and Hodges, Thaiday carried on with in the ensueing play(also while Steve Price was taking a nap)

In 2007 both scufles were started by Queensland two. A head high shot by Petero and then one of the Queenslanders lifted and speared a Blues player onto his neck(was much worse than LODs.)

Queenslanders can give the physical stuff but can't take it.

Anyone underestimating an overly physical bordering on grubby forward pack must not have watched much footy.

We'll get our ass kicked in game 3 but not because of a thuggish forward pack, rather because of lack of spark and strike players.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Lol, all NSW are good for is winning the face grinding at the play the ball. Keep talking up how effective it is cause, well, you got nothin' else.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Are we forgetting out of evreyone in game 2 there was no one more eager for a fight than Inglis?
I'm pretty sure Barrett running about 20m to get involved in the LOD scuffle shows who was more interested in the biff.

RugbyHighlights said:
I honestly don't see what everyones going on about. The LOD tackle last game was geniused but smacking Dave Taylor wasn't stupid thuggery. He just got his face swoled up by Sam Thaiday. I'd be pretty pissed too.

When Queenslanders are agressive(Inglis, Hodges, Thaiday, Crocker) nobody bats an eyelid, just part and parcell of their game. Whenever a Blues player does something it's thuggery.
You must have missed the crying and whinging that went on after the "up and under" in game three last year. Selective memory perhaps?

RugbyHighlights said:
Need I remind you also that last year Crocker started the fight in game 2. Price initiated the fight in game 3 and Hodges, Thaiday carried on with in the ensueing play(also while Steve Price was taking a nap)
Wrong. White started the fight with Price over a little nudge with his knee - stuff that happens every game, and nowhere near as bad as the niggle NSW were dishing out in Game 2 this year. Funny we didn't see any fights started from that eh?

RugbyHighlights said:
In 2007 both scufles were started by Queensland two. A head high shot by Petero and then one of the Queenslanders lifted and speared a Blues player onto his neck(was much worse than LODs.)
Wrong. Petero gave an elbow facial to the Blues player on the ground. That started the scuffle. Almost every tackle in the first 20 minutes of SOO2 involved a NSW player driving his elbow into the face of the tackled player. Funny that we didn't see any scuffles from those tackles eh? And LOD's spear tackle was just as bad. Maybe even worse - he drove Boyd into the turf.

RugbyHighlights said:
Queenslanders can give the physical stuff but can't take it.

Anyone underestimating an overly physical bordering on grubby forward pack must not have watched much footy.

We'll get our ass kicked in game 3 but not because of a thuggish forward pack, rather because of lack of spark and strike players.

It was clear to all and sundry that the NSW gameplan in SOO2 was niggle and dirty play. It was laughable that they actually thought it would put QLD off their game. Even more laughable was the fact that they couldn't alter their gameplan after it became apparent QLD weren't going to be swayed by the grubby tactics, despite the refs ignorance of them.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Barrett running about 20m to get involved in the LOD scuffle shows who was more interested in the biff.

Running to protect his team mate. Who was being ambushed by the Queensland scum.

Frank_Grimes said:
You must have missed the crying and whinging that went on after the "up and under" in game three last year. Selective memory perhaps?

I did, don't think i was active here then. I certainly had no complaints about it, was an awesome end to the game. I'd want the blues to do the same if the situation was reversed

Frank_Grimes said:
Wrong. White started the fight with Price over a little nudge with his knee - stuff that happens every game, and nowhere near as bad as the niggle NSW were dishing out in Game 2 this year. Funny we didn't see any fights started from that eh?

I disagree. I think you're downplaying the act. Lets not forget Adrian Morley had his NRL career cut short for the same act.

And tbh I really didn't see much niggle in game 2. The media are over exagerating it. If you want to talk about niggle game 1 definately had more. I think i counted 7 high shots by water house in the first 10 minutes :lol:

Game 2 for me wasn't that niggly, typical origin game. Both gave and receive the niggle. LODs tackle was definately the worst of the night though. Followed by Gallens head high(imo nothing in that, punished for his reputation)

Frank_Grimes said:
Wrong. Petero gave an elbow facial to the Blues player on the ground. That started the scuffle. Almost every tackle in the first 20 minutes of SOO2 involved a NSW player driving his elbow into the face of the tackled player. Funny that we didn't see any scuffles from those tackles eh? And LOD's spear tackle was just as bad. Maybe even worse - he drove Boyd into the turf.

A facial after a clothesline. Slight difference. The facial alone isn't what incited the scuffle. It's the fact he showed no remorse for the blatant head-high and gave him a facial. The 2 combined caused that.

LODs tackle was no where near as bad as the one in 2007. I have it on my computer somewhere but not sure of the players involved. It was alot worse of a tackle, even though I'm not sure it was too intentional.

Frank_Grimes said:
It was clear to all and sundry that the NSW gameplan in SOO2 was niggle and dirty play. It was laughable that they actually thought it would put QLD off their game. Even more laughable was the fact that they couldn't alter their gameplan after it became apparent QLD weren't going to be swayed by the grubby tactics, despite the refs ignorance of them.

Disagree. Far more niggle from the blues in Game 1. The difference is the QLDers didn't cry about it, so the queensland fans aren't crying about it. QLD fans basically repeat what their players say.

NSW lost because they had a sh*t team. Nothing to do with niggle.

timka4

Bench
Yeah after watching the 05 series. QLD were using all types of thuggery to get into the blues because they couldn't win. Crocker, Webb, Ross were all dirty.

I am not here to bag QLD though, just to say that what they did in 05 is pretty much exactly what we have done this year and it's embarrassing.

I was glad that NSW didn't retaliate to the antics that QLD used in 05. Likewise with QLD not retaliating with the antics NSW were using on QLD this year.

As most of you know, there is a difference between being tough and being a thug.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Running to protect his team mate. Who was being ambushed by the Queensland scum.
Call it what you will, it clearly showed who was more interested in the biff. The "Queensland scum" weren't throwing Liverpool Kisses either.

RugbyHighlights said:
I did, don't think i was active here then. I certainly had no complaints about it, was an awesome end to the game. I'd want the blues to do the same if the situation was reversed
Then you should be applauded for your honesty. Other Blues fans weren't as truthful:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=329185&highlight=Grow+up+QLD

RugbyHighlights said:
I disagree. I think you're downplaying the act. Lets not forget Adrian Morley had his NRL career cut short for the same act.
Wait, you're not seriously comparing a forceful, clearly intentional upward swinging knee from Morely, to a sideways nudge that White would barely have felt are you? That just made my day.

RugbyHighlights said:
Followed by Gallens head high(imo nothing in that, punished for his reputation)
Apart from the fact that it was an intentional high shot:

Paul Gallen said:
I told you I'd get him back

http://www.rugbyleague.com/rugby-league-news/queensland-34-nsw-6-at.html

RugbyHighlights said:
Disagree. Far more niggle from the blues in Game 1. The difference is the QLDers didn't cry about it, so the queensland fans aren't crying about it. QLD fans basically repeat what their players say.

It was clear to anyone with eyeballs that NSW had a cheap and dirty gameplan. There wasn't a tackle made by a Blues player in the opening minutes that didn't have an elbow or facial. Watch the opening minutes of Game one and you'll see a different story.

Latest posts