What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

controlling a player in defense

Arnie

Juniors
i dont know if anyone has trouble with this on any other version of the game, but on the PC version (for me anyway), when in defense and i make a tackle i'm having trouble controlling the person once i've selected him - so lets say i've made a tackle and then when the pass goes from the dummy half and then i hit A to change players, its as though i dont have any control over the person that i've just selected and they run right pass the player with the football....how do i get control back into the player i'm controlling to effectively get them to make a tackle...its so frustrating..

Paullyboy

Coach
yeh it takes a while getting used to, unfortunately it never selects the player you want in defence, it always gets the guy 2 people over for some reason

d00d

Juniors
yeah defence in this game is pretty frustrating.... the CPU always goes over for a soft try coz my selected player just runs past the ball-carrier, despite mashing the tackle button

Wigan Warrior

Juniors
Its all about timing.You have to hit tackle just infront of the ball carrier.At first i thought id never get the hang but now im pretty good in defence.

I heard people had trouble defending on their own try line but ive had no probs with that either.

Heres a tip-When in defence and you select a different player he may be one or two players wide of the attacker.This is where the realism comes into play and you should try to send the attacker down a tight channel by creating an umbrella defence and moving up to give him no where to go and block him from passing to other team mates so he has no choice only to hit the ball up.I found the game is not just about selecting a player and doing all the tackling,its about being part of your team and as in real life sometimes you will find yourselve working off the ball.

Hope that makes sense?

forumuser

Juniors
i read a post by mario a while ago where he said that defense select a player was done on purpose for similar reasons to those mentioned above, basically to add a tactical thinking element to your defense, something along those lines if i recall correctly

Arnie

Juniors
Wigan Warrior said:
Its all about timing.You have to hit tackle just infront of the ball carrier.At first i thought id never get the hang but now im pretty good in defence.

I heard people had trouble defending on their own try line but ive had no probs with that either.

Heres a tip-When in defence and you select a different player he may be one or two players wide of the attacker.This is where the realism comes into play and you should try to send the attacker down a tight channel by creating an umbrella defence and moving up to give him no where to go and block him from passing to other team mates so he has no choice only to hit the ball up.I found the game is not just about selecting a player and doing all the tackling,its about being part of your team and as in real life sometimes you will find yourselve working off the ball.

Hope that makes sense?

yeh i understand what you're saying, only thing that i dont like about that idea is, that when i change player and it selects a player that is infront of the player with the ball and i could be pressing all my directional arrows but the player i selected just keeps running forward like he was Forrest Gump or something...which means i have no control in getting him back to get the person he just ran past...of course eventually it realises i've pressed up to run back and get the ball carrier but by then its often too late and gives the opposition an easy 20 odd metres

Erhan

Juniors
The problem with that is on the harder levels, players will just spot a small gap and unless you can change players to close the gap and tackle him, the AI will just run straight through and you'll be left frantically trying to get ur fullback to bring the player down. However, once you do tackle the player, you can change players and get around the player and create the umbrella defence to stop an offload. I've done this a few times but the AI still managed a pass and thus making the defence back peddle because I had a player hanging around the ruck area.