What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Parker

hellteam

First Grade
Some of you may have read my thoughts on this on the Dragons thread, but I thought I would make a thread on it seeing as Friday night's game showed pretty clearly what I/others have been talking about.

We play worse with Parker at lock. I know we had a win the other night but we were up against a pretty poor Tigers team. We started well, but when Parker came on midway through the first half we seemed to lose our way a bit in attack.

We lose our shape, and I think it often comes from him taking far too many hitups. Sometimes it's 2-3 per set, and I'm sure a lot of the times these balls would otherwise be going to Wallace/Norman etc. This is often amplified when we are close to the line, when he gets the ball a few times a set and does nothing with it apart from run sideways and gets tackled. This was seen several times on Friday. He also does not run decoys etc as well or as much as Glenn, Gillett T'eo.

However, on the opposite hand, of course, is that he make a lot of tackles and is goal kicking really well this year.

I think the solution may be Griffin asking him to take a step back. We have great running backrowers and we don't need him to be taking two hit ups a set. We need the ball in Gillett, Glenn, Teo's hands. Also Wallace, Norman and the other forwards could possibly show a bit more authority. I think Parker is just so used to doing it, as he did have to take the responsibility when we were struggling and had young forwards a few years ago.

Thoughts?

Snappy

Coach
We sure didnt miss him when he was injured (apart from goal kicking)

Ive never been so 'meh' apart a good playing coming back from injury as when I heard Parker was playing against the Tigers.

Good to have him back now though, cause im sure the NRL will give Teo a few weeks holiday

Mr Fourex

Bench
Yeah HT......it was pretty evident Friday night that Corey does end up with the ball in his hands too many times

particularly close to the line when the ball should be going to either Wallace or Norman.

Hook should be asking him to try and pick his times a little more carefully and to think about the quality of the hit up rather than the quantity. He did perfect a neat little hit and spin move last season

like to see more of that if he wants to take it up every set. Hoffman should be living in his back pocket.

user_nat

Coach
He needs to stop taking hit ups when we are in an attack position. Give the ball to anyone else. Like Hodges for example.

However, he needs to start and play the 80 minutes. His work rate and goal kicking is to valuable. He is particularly good at off the ball stuff, no one puts better pressure on kickers.

His offloads are (usually) pretty handy also.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
He needs to stop taking hit ups when we are in an attack position. Give the ball to anyone else. Like Hodges for example.

He needs to start and play the 80 minutes though. His work rate is to valuable. Particularly off the ball stuff, no one puts better pressure on kickers.

His offloads are (usually) pretty handy also.

Yeah I agree we are better with him out there for 80 minutes. His hit ups are prop-like quality and is probably just behind Gillett in terms of offloads. But needs to take a step back when attacking inside the 20.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yeah I agree we are better with him out there for 80 minutes. His hit ups are prop-like quality and is probably just behind Gillett in terms of offloads. But needs to take a step back when attacking inside the 20.

Funny you say that about Parker being "prop-like". During that game I thought for the first time in ages that his long-term destiny maybe in the front row - where he started his career when he first broke first grade.

He's a hit-and-spin front rower obviously, but is still very effective in the middle of the ruck

The reason he doesn't need to take up so many rucks is obviously when you consider the quality of backrowers - Gillett, Teo, Thaiday, Glenn - all these guys will make quality contributions on the fringe so where does Parker fit in? Prop for me.

When Civ retires next year, Parker should step into that position.

beads6

First Grade
This is madness. Parker is an integral part of our side and makes us a better team. Sure he might get in the way at times but so does Gallen. It is what makes them so valuable. They are always there to take 2 hitups in a set or make the extra tackles.

Big Pete

Referee
I didn't rate Gallen for similar reasons over the past two seasons tbh. He's in a real purple patch at the moment though and definitely deserves the credit.

Parker is a really good player, nearing the peak of his career and he really gives us good momentum through the middle. Wish he took less ball or developed a better passing game but he's still a big part of this side and I'd take him 9/10 over Gillett who honestly is becoming the most overrated Bronco I've seen since Kemp.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Ludicrous, one of the Broncos most valuable players also one of the real team leaders in what is still a very young and inexperienced side. His work rate is probably second to only Gallen in the NRL, and he is proving to be one of the best goal-kickers as well this season.

I agree with most posts that he just needs to take a step back when in the final 20, but he is key to the Broncos getting into the attacking 20, his hit-ups and tackling are the sort of plays that really inspire the young players. If the team is in a bad patch Parker will always go looking for the ball.

Pete i have to disagree with you on the Gillett comment, although I think he just needs to take a step back at time and put the team first and not go for the miracle play rather just play good percentage footy.

Big Pete

Referee
It's not really on here or in the media but if you see how highly he's rated on the other forum...jaysus you'd swear he's the second coming of christ and Parker is holding us back by taking 'his' spot.

As it stands, I think Matty is one of the best bench players in the comp. and I reckon he'll be right come next week.

AuDragon

Juniors
It's not really on here or in the media but if you see how highly he's rated on the other forum...jaysus you'd swear he's the second coming of christ and Parker is holding us back by taking 'his' spot.

As it stands, I think Matty is one of the best bench players in the comp. and I reckon he'll be right come next week.
You're full of it BP, no one in the other forum has said that.

Even the most stauch supporters of Gillett (including myself), have said that Gillett needs to wind back and go back to the basics that work for him, and make him such a good player, which doesn't make him overrated.

I can see Gillett as our future lock for sure, but that's only once Parker starts to decline, because at this moment, he owns no. 13.

Spot On

Coach
Sorry to poke my nose in gents but the props in teams such as the Broncs and Cronulla have no excuses at the end of the day in regards to their own performances as they have Parker and Gallen to ensure they get a bloody good rest. Those two take the pressure off for 80 mins, each and every week. That is invaluable in the big games.

It also pisses me off, as a NSWelshman, that we can't find a prop rotation to bust its arse off their state when they have a workhorse like Gal leading them doing all their freaking work and giving them a bloody good rest. You'd think they'd be ripping in while their on the park. I mean grow a pair ffs. Pussies.

Big Pete

Referee
I've already explained myself.

It's not that I think Gillett is the drizzling shits but he has some ways to go before he can replace Parker, let alone be called one of the greatest Broncos forwards in history.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I've already explained myself.

It's not that I think Gillett is the drizzling shits but he has some ways to go before he can replace Parker, let alone be called one of the greatest Broncos forwards in history.

Jesus !!

Which bunch of teenage school girls is calling him that ???

Latest posts