What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Parker's Retirement

aarondoyle

Juniors
Anyone heard any rumours around why Parker retired suddenly? He didn't seem pleased about the whole thing.

If it's to free up cap for Inglis I'll be pissed off.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I thought he was contracted for 2017.
We can target hayne,radradra and taumololo now with the money it frees up.

DeeJ

Bench
It's definitely an odd and sudden decision. He is playing as well as he ever has, regular in rep teams, no injury concerns whatsoever.

I hope he wasn't pushed into it. A guy like Parker can play for however long as he wants, imo.

chigurh

Going off Bennetts comments it doesn't seem he was pushed - he said Parker was guaranteed a 2017 contract as a minimum. Sucks though whatever the reason, what a legend.

Dazzat

First Grade
I noticed Parker was marginally off his game the last two - big things on his mind I guess.

If he has retired to free up cash, it needs to be spent on forwards and backs, but not Inglis who has only two years left himself (if that with his knee issues).

We need front rowers and wingers most urgently.

user_nat

Coach
Feels sudden, particularly listening to him in the press conference. Even though he said nothing along those lines.. the opposite in fact. Would be pretty sad if he were even slightly pushed out.

Lockyer got a game short of going out a winner (sorta) and Hodges went the next step close.. hopefully Parker actually goes out a winner.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Plenty of good young forwards coming through.
It will be inglis they sign imo.
Need a fast winger asap.

gUt

Coach
Last night Parker said he'd known for a while this was to be the last season. Made comments that he's had a fairly lucky career injury-wise and so is happy to go out with his body intact. Also he's got a gig with Fox already.

Good luck to him I say, what a player. An all-time great Bronco.

Dazzat

First Grade
After looking at the evidence, I'm confident that Corey Parker is going out voluntarily and HASN'T been pushed out. Happy about that!

What a champion of a player.

It is a rare player who improved with age, particularly in the forwards. But Corey is one of the few.

And that gets down to desire and what's going on between the ears. I generally think Corey is a true team player, whose motivation is putting the team first - and that's the key to longevity in the game.

One of our very best forwards but time waits for no man and I'm glad he's done this his way.
Hard act to follow, would the Broncos be chasing Nappa in the near future, should imagine he'd slot right in and be well placed for future SOO.
What happens now about a goal kicker, Kahu?

Nightward

Juniors
Also who captains next year?

McCullough was being touted as a future captain a while back. Glenn too. Both are young but have a surprising number of games under their belt despite that. Blair and Boyd could be in the mix too.

Probably a bit much to dump on Hunt or Milford at the moment.

Regarding Parker, the news was a bit sudden. Obviously he can't play forever but he's still in some of the best form of his career. I thought he had another year, maybe as many as three, ahead of him.

He has always come across as a club man and it wouldn't surprise me that he knows while he could keep playing a bit longer it's going to prevent the Broncos from retaining developing players like Pangai or holding onto Gillett and the like, so he's bowing out early in part due to that.

Nerd

Bench
I could be wrong but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he has a dodgy knee which he has carried for a few years.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Things can catch up very quickly when you get a little older.
Those 330+ games all in the forwards have knocked him around.
I remember that shocking leg wound he copped in a soo game I think.
It's great to see him go out still playing so well.
He developed himself into such a great player. So different to the player that debuted all those seasons ago.
Hope they win it this year.

dasherhalo

Juniors
Replacements?

Thaiday: wouldn't get too many more years out of him. Only got one year out of Cozza, but I don't think they'll go back. Sam seems happy enough with the senior statesman / funny guy role.

Glenn: possibly. He certainly gives the Broncos everything he has

Macca: maybe. He's definitely one of the key players, is spoken about well by other players, and dipped his toe into the leadership role the other year

Hunt / MILF: Milf too young. Hunt has enough on his plate. I think Hunt would be the obvious future choice?

Boyd: has come out of his shell since moving back to Brisbane and getting a few monkeys off his back. Has aimed up, set goals (like being a rep fullback), and achieved them. Absolutely passionate about his football at the moment, and gets a lot of credit for being one of the most professional footballers when it comes to training and preparation. Is old enough to lead, young enough to be there for a few more years.

Who know what Wayne thinks about anything? I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd take the job on next year, though.

Pickem

Juniors
On a side note, Paul Gallen really showing his true colours yet again when commenting on Parker's retirement decision .. "He's still playing pretty good" was the best he could muster.

Despite the fact he's a Blue, I've respected the heck out of Gallen for what he's produced on the field and gave him a pass for a lot of the stuff he said off the field about players, origin and various issues. But despite now being a supposedly senior statesmen of the game himself, he just doesn't f*cking get it..

Hopefully a lot of this lingering bias and uneasiness that exists between Queensland & NSW players, particularly when they're drawn together to play for Australia, can die off when Gallen himself calls time on his career.. Because I think Gallen is one of the big reasons that divide exists.