What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost of Mod Chips for PS2

stuke

Bench
around about how much should they be charging to get these installed?

any feedback would be gratefully accepted.

Henson

Juniors
the guy who did mine charges between 140-190 depending what ps2 you have,does it in a day ph 0293138484,is located kensington sydney

McLovin

Staff member
They usually cost around $150-$190.

I did mine at a computer repair shop in Beverly Hills for $160 about a year ago...

gaterooze

Bench
Alternatively:

A cheap chip (which does everything you need) will cost ~$25.

All the soldering gear you'll need (inc. desolder braid, anti-static band, etc) is <$40.

Another PS2 if you screw it up, about $150-200 :lol:

stuke

Bench
gaterooze said:
Alternatively:

Another PS2 if you screw it up, about $150-200 :lol:

that would be about it ;-)

thanks for the input everyone, don't want to pay overs but really wasn't sure of the prices to expect.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Excuse my naivette, but what exactly is the benefit of a mod-chipped PS2? Is it similar to a modded xBox in that it introduces a large number of new features? Or is it simply a modification to allow you to play burnt games?

Feej

First Grade
gaterooze said:
Lets you play imported games that aren't released in Australia.

I know many people with modded PS2's, Xbox's etc and the vast majority of them have them chipped only to play copied games.

I'm sure some people play imported games on chipped machines, but I think overwhelmingly, that most play stolen games on them.

McLovin

Staff member
Well i bought my PS2 overseas not knowing that i couldn't play Aussie PS2 games. I needed to get mine chipped for obvious reasons...

Frederick

Staff member
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
my xbox is modded but only cause i use it to store TV shows, 200gig of TV shows lol.
Same here...well, sorta. I bought the chip and 200gb hard drive about a month ago, then had a mate over couple of days later to install it. The bastard didn't do a good job soldering the pin header to the pcb rebuild, so the mod doesn't work :x. I'm having him over on thursday to (hopefully) fix it. He also told me of his only attempt at modding a ps2...which ended in a dead ps2, which is understandable considering this is all the soldering he had to do:
i6xzj9.jpg

Moral of the story: Always pay a professional to mod your ps2

Raiders Rock

Juniors
Come on you crazy funsters,

Lets be honest!! We all know that you get a PS2/XBox modded for the main purpose of playing copied games. I got a PS1 modded for that exact reason and I suspect that I was not the Lone Ranger in doing so. I don't doubt that there are some people who do it to legitimately play imports of games & DVD's and in some cases TV, but these people are BY FAR in the minority!!

As an example, a friend of mine just got his X-Box chip-modded, 200Gb HDD installed and the guy (Well-known retail outlet of which I will not name...) installed thirty popular recently released games (Of his choice from any of the games they in stock or on disk) all for $300.00

Even though this probably violates just about every copyright law ever written, who is going to turn down a deal like that considering that one new game can cost up to $100.00

I know if I had an X-Box or PS2 (Which I don't - I'm strictly a PC gamer these days and not every piece of software on my PC is legitimate either) I'd be running to the store with my $300.00 in hand!! So don't talk crap, everybody knows what's really going on and if you deny it you just kidding yourself!!

This is why console games do cost $100.00 each but who wouldn't take advantage?? Honestly... It's a "Catch 22" Don't want to pay $100.00 per game - Get console modded - Indirectly force up the future game costs.

I don't know what the answer is but all I can see is that game prices will continue to rise in the future...

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Well can't speak for the rest but I legitmately got my PS2 chipped for imports, lower prices, and earlier release dates plus a sh*t load of great games never see the light of day in Australia, I also speak Korean so I by a lot of games from Asia.

Latest posts