What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could League go to Ten?

babyg

Juniors
Nine doesn't operate in regional areas, they simply purchase the product and on-sell it to WIN/NBN. They will negotiate based on what rates in their five metro markets, why would they care what rates in regional areas. You don't hear of WIN/Prime/Southern Cross being involved in contract negotiations - if they were, the regional rights might be worth a lot more.

Why is the NRL not selling to the regionals direct then? 9 again profiting off the NRL crap deal.

Edwahu

Bench
Why is the NRL not selling to the regionals direct then? 9 again profiting off the NRL crap deal.

They negotiate based on everything. The NRL would be aware that Nines sell on price to regionals is boosted by their ratings and this would be factored in by both parties.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=18338

Off the Wall
Written by: Jeff Wall
Aug 10, 2009 7:54am

If anyone doubts that rugby league must have a single administration to meet the challenges of the future then they should take the time to read the extensive article on the television rights issue in today's "Financial Review".

The AFL is about to get down to the serious business of negotiating its next television rights deal with the commercial television channels. Details of what it is going to put forward are in the article - and it contains some sobering news for the greatest game of all.

The current AFL agreement, which ends in 2011, is worth something like $780 million over five years. The current AFL/NRL agreement, which runs until 2012, is worth just over $500 million.

The AFL is proposing a free to air/cable television deal that is worth around $1 billion over five years. It will negotiate this week with Seven and Ten, its current rights holders, and Nine.

Therein lies the problem for rugby league. By the time the rugby league gets around to holding discussions over its next rights deal - starting a year after the AFL's - it is highly likely that the field will be effectively a one horse race.

That is how it was last time. And look at the result? Rugby league secured a significantly inferior deal because Kerry Packer - in his dying days - made sure that Ten and Seven would pay over the odds for the rights to the AFL if he could not have them.

By the time it came around to negotiate the rights for rugby league Nine effectively has the race to itself. Sadly, history is about to repeat itself I fear.

The AFL knows that it is a tough ask to not only maintain what was a very good deal, but to actually improve on it. That is why the AFL is using some of the substantial reserves the current deal has allowed it to build up to fund the expansion into Western Sydney and the Gold Coast.

In the process, it will not only increase its viewing audience it will also expand its premiership rounds from 22 to 24.

Rugby league's expansion plans are up in the air. The priority is to encourage teams to re-locate, which may be good for the bottom line for one or two struggling clubs, but does not match the AFL's increased audience.

The NRL can only watch from the sidelines as the AFL tries to negotiate a new deal. Its best hope has to be that talks with either Seven or Ten will be unsuccessful, and that the AFL will end up like the NRL with a single free to air broadcaster. At least that would allow some competition for the rights for rugby league.

There is talk that the rights for rugby league will be "packaged" separately, with State of Origin and Test matches not being part of the NRL premiership broadcast agreements. But at the end of the day that won't make much difference to the bottom line...and not enough difference to significantly narrow the gap between the AFL rights and rugby league's.

But there is one step rugby league must take now.

It must end the unaffordable, and inefficient, way the game is administered.

The AFL is one body. Andrew Demetriou negotiates for the whole game - the ARL and the NRL share the negotiating rights for rugby league.

We surely need the same...and we need it now.

mavdog

Juniors
You would think that by the time the rights for both AFL and NRL are finalised, the anti-siphoning laws will have changed, which should allow for a television network (say Nine, for example) to simulcast the AFL and NRL into the same market at the same time. If it isnt changed, I cant see how Nine will placate the AFL's need for the games to be shown at a reasonable hour in the northern markets.

Make no mistake, Channel 9 will want the AFL rights and will bid aggressively to get them. Channel 9 is getting flogged in Melbourne and a large part of that is the football rights. The Better Home and Gardens/AFL double wins Friday nights nationally and is absolutely comprehensive in Melbourne.

You only have to look at their scheduling to realise Nine believe the AFL is a big jewel. TFS, Footy Classified, Sunday footy show, TAC Cup Future Stars. They've invested heavily in the AFL. They'll put in a big bid.

It'll be interesting to see what Channel 10 do with the NRL rights. Surely, they'll be sniffing around trying to get another sport to add to their OneHD lineup but they wont be a standalone bidder. They'll definitely want the AFL and that will be priority A. The NRL could be priority B. OneHD could be the NRL's entry point into the southern markets.

Not sure if the NRL would want to split the State of Origin bidding. It's pretty much their crown jewel. Surely, if you negotiate State of Origin separate to Club games, it'll devalue the rest of the package?

El Diablo

Post Whore
AFL is not why 9 are up the sh*t in Melbourne or any other city. Getting them won't return them to the top either.

9 won the ratings year after year and never had AFL rights.

9 lose just about every day of the week except Thursdays. They can't even seem to win Sundays these days.

mavdog

Juniors
I understand that your blind hatred for AFL does not allow you to even offer it tokenistic praise, but the AFL provides a huge lead-in for the national news, which is the platform that networks use to launch their evening programs. Channel 7 carefully orchestrate their delayed telecast to finish at precisely 6pm, thus offering maximum lead-in. Sunday news is always the largest rating news telecast of the week and if you can get people watching Sunday after the footy, they are more likely to stay switched on throughout the night and more likely to watch the news on the same channel throughout the week.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of ratings for Seven News 2002-2006 and 2007-to now.

EDIT: El, please dont derail this NRL thread with your AFL love, like you do with every NRL thread. I made several points, dont just focus on the AFL stuff

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
I understand that your blind hatred for AFL does not allow you to even offer it tokenistic praise, but the AFL provides a huge lead-in for the national news, which is the platform that networks use to launch their evening programs. Channel 7 carefully orchestrate their delayed telecast to finish at precisely 6pm, thus offering maximise lead-in.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of ratings for Seven News 2002-2006 and 2007-to now.

are you saying i'm wrong lol

IIRC 2000 was the first time 7 won the ratings and that was because of the Olympics

why do you think 9 used to always say "Still the One" ???

mavdog

Juniors
are you saying i'm wrong lol

IIRC 2000 was the first time 7 won the ratings and that was because of the Olympics

why do you think 9 used to always say "Still the One" ???

What are you arguing? Why are we talking about the Olympics? You've honestly lost me with that.

I'm well aware that Channel 9 used to dominate the ratings for many years. I was saying it wouldve been interesting to see the ratings for Channel 7's Sunday news in the years 2002-2006, when they didnt have the football, compared to now.

El Diablo

Post Whore
What are you arguing? Why are we talking about the Olympics? You've honestly lost me with that.

I'm well aware that Channel 9 used to dominate the ratings for many years. I was saying it wouldve been interesting to see the ratings for Channel 7's Sunday news in the years 2002-2006, when they didnt have the football, compared to now.

they had the friggin boggerball for 40 odd years you plonker and still got their arse kicked

and you were wanking on about how AFL would boost 9 yet 9 NEVER had the rights and used to win EVERY year. the Olympic year was one of the only times they lost

i'll quote you

Make no mistake, Channel 9 will want the AFL rights and will bid aggressively to get them. Channel 9 is getting flogged in Melbourne and a large part of that is the football rights.

channel 9 get flogged in Sydney and that has nothing to do with AFL

10 come third most weeks in Sydney and they have AFL

Last edited:

mavdog

Juniors
you don't think they did ratings before 2001?

AC Neilson. Yes Im aware.

But pre-2001 the data is relatively flimsy. There are huge discrepancies between the ratings data collected by Oztam and the data that was collected by AC Neilson. When Oztam took over, Burkes Backyard dropped by 600 000 viewers, so one of those companies was doing something wrong. I'll lean in favour of OzTam.

Im only interested in ratings data from 2001-onwards and even then, it's still pretty flimsy.

And dude, you need to chill. It only takes one mention of AFL for you to start frothing at the mouth. I know it's incomprehensible for you to understand people can enjoy more than one code of football, but it can happen.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised EA isnt in this thread giving you a reach-around. Where is he? Doesnt he have automatic email notification when someone mentions AFL on this site?

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
AC Neilson. Yes Im aware.

But pre-2001 the data is relatively flimsy. There are huge discrepancies between the ratings data collected by Oztam and the data that was collected by AC Neilson. When Oztam took over, Burkes Backyard dropped by 600 000 viewers, so one of those companies was doing something wrong. I'll lean in favour of OzTam.

Im only interested in ratings data from 2001-onwards and even then, it's still pretty flimsy.

lol

you're only interested in them from then because you think it suits what you're trying to say

if boggerball is why 9 are up the sh*t can you explain why it is they lose nearly every night of the week?

eg check week 32 http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/08/week-32-2.html

9 only won Thursday night

mavdog

Juniors
lol

you're only interested in them from then because you think it suits what you're trying to say

if boggerball is why 9 are up the sh*t can you explain why it is they lose nearly every night of the week?

eg check week 32 http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/08/week-32-2.html

9 only won Thursday night

1 Better Homes And Gardens Seven 1,460,000 413,000 458,000 231,000 167,000 190,000
21 Nine’s Live Friday Night Football Nine 596,000 349,000 *** 247,000 *** ***

Maybe if Nine could jettison the league off for Burke's Backyard, they might be able to pinch one more day of the week?

El Diablo

Post Whore
on the w/e i heard a bit of 2GB and they were talking about how 9 wanted to change things

ditch the second FNF game and put it on at Saturdays at 4pm

they would then ask fox to have their first game at 6pm and another at 8pm

maybe Fox could then chose to show another Sunday game or show the other game at 10pm Saturdays

mavdog

Juniors
Perth lost about 1/3rd of it's viewers when the AFL started
Come on mate, you're better than that I wouldve thought. You update the ratings thread as soon as the ratings are released, but juding by that post you dont even know what those numbers are representing. You're speaking as those it's a figure of viewers at 8:30. It's not. It's an average figure of viewers watching over three hours. The figures dont show how many people are watching at 8:30pm. If you're gonna talk ratings make sure you're aware of what those numbers represent.

You know that ratings are an average and that a show that runs for one hour in prime-time is likely to average more than a show that runs for three hours 'til 11:30pm. Moreover, Friday night football is shown on a three hour delay in Perth. The game is over before it is even aired. By the time it finishes at 11:30pm, it's been six hours since bounce-down. The fact that the numbers are so close (20 000 odd) speaks volumes for the strength of AFL in those markets.

The bottom line is that AFL is dying in Perth and Adelaide and the cold hard figures prove it. Very poor numbers for the only sport in town. Blanket coverage all over the media. Shocking actually.

This guy has never left New South Wales clearly. Nice thread though.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Come on mate, you're better than that I wouldve thought. You update the ratings thread as soon as the ratings are released, but juding by that post you dont even know what those numbers are representing. You're speaking as those it's a figure of viewers at 8:30. It's not. It's an average figure of viewers watching over three hours. The figures dont show how many people are watching at 8:30pm. If you're gonna talk ratings make sure you're aware of what those numbers represent.

You know that ratings are an average and that a show that runs for one hour in prime-time is likely to average more than a show that runs for three hours 'til 11:30pm. Moreover, Friday night football is shown on a three hour delay in Perth. The game is over before it is even aired. By the time it finishes at 11:30pm, it's been six hours since bounce-down. The fact that the numbers are so close (20 000 odd) speaks volumes for the strength of AFL in those markets.

This guy has never left New South Wales clearly. Nice thread though.

lol

so you don't mind comparing the NRL and Better Homes ratings but when someone compares them with AFL you chuck a tanty. exactly like Danny boy

dickhead

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Strangely enough, my family still live in the long lost reaches of Perth, and said only last week that AFL is not attracting the TV audience it once did. Dare I say this, they watch NRL, mainly because my side of the family plays and follows it.

They were very keen supporters 10/15 years ago, and now never go to games, and rarley watch on tv, but then again it is Perth and you can never use them as real people, they just bag everyone from the "eastern states", and that particularly includes dopey Victorians

Billythekid

First Grade
EDIT: El, please dont derail this NRL thread with your AFL love, like you do with every NRL thread. I made several points, dont just focus on the AFL stuff

Everyone of your posts so far is about AFL, so that's kind of a weird comment.