What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Manly get both????

Disco

Bench
3 rumours i have heard today

"timanha tahu has decided to get in before joel monaghan and has told manly management through his agent that he has agreed to terms and will sign the contract this week."

"Announcement will come in next 24 hours that Joel Monaghan will accept a 3yr deal with a fourth year option with Manly..."

and

"The club will consider today whether it can afford to sign Timana Tahu and Joel Monaghan."

hmm, tahu is now having negotiations with mark sargeant from the knights after returning from the eels facilities.. So you havnt got him yet.

woodgers

Bench
Your right Disco, only time will tell.

Surely Manly can't afford Kennedy, Tahu and Monaghan. All rep players in one way or another. They went on a spending spree at Parramatta last season so they can't be that far under the cap.

lodown

Juniors
If they get both that will be awesome. however to get both we will prob have to let a few of the off contract guys like Williamson, Donald, Dunley and Hoppa go.

OVP

Coach
lolesi said:
Haha manly are going crazy this year on the market.

Good luck to them. Good to see a club not content with being mediocre. Manly should improve greatly next season and will be strongly hated again :)

Big Mick

Referee
I'm hearing the same thing, that both will go. But players will be let go, such as Scott Donald, Luke WIlliamson and co to compensate a little bit. Considering they were 850,000 under plus let McGuinness go.

But by god they are spending a bit.

Impressive backline for next year though

1. Stewart
2. Hicks
3. Tahu
4. Walker
5. Monoghan
6. Monoghan
7. Williams

Very young, expect walker, experieced backline who will only get better.

Paullyboy

Coach
Why go all out signing backs and then let go one of your better performing backs in Scott Donald?

And Williamson has been very steady for them this year

Big Mick

Referee
Potentially a really good team:

1. Stewart
2. Hicks
3. Tahu
4. Walker
5. Monoghan
6. Monoghan
7. Williams
8. Kite
9. Randell
10. King
11. Harris
12. Menzies
13. Kennedy

14. Haumoono
15. Heckenberg
16. Watmough
17. Donnelly

Raider Azz

Bench
I don't think Manly's big spending will pay off next year. Buying all you can at once and then hoping the players will gel never works IMO.

keeney

First Grade
Big Mick said:

1. Stewart
2. Hicks
3. Tahu
4. Walker
5. Monoghan
6. Monoghan
7. Williams
8. Kite
9. Randell
10. King
11. Harris
12. Menzies
13. Kennedy

14. Haumoono
15. Heckenberg
16. Watmough
17. Donnelly

tahu is a mediocre centre, swap him with hicks

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Torrens will retire at the end of this year so that will free up another 100-150K, and don't forget that McGuiness was on 350-380K. I think it could be possible to sign both players without letting anyone go. But the question is, if push comes to shove who gets shafted? My pick would probably be Donald. I love the bloke but this year has been anything but his best. Could be due to him not getting as much ball as he did as last year, but his defence at times isn't the best and its being tested this year. As is his skill under bombs. The way I see it is that if both Monaghan and Tahu are signed we will have the following wingers, centres - Hicks, Donald, Tahu, Monaghan, Hoppa and PL players such as Nick Bradley, Darren Peachey and Jarrod Taylor.
I hope that signing both Tahu and Monaghan is possible without letting anyone go. :oops:

1. Stewart
2. Donald/Hicks
3. Tahu
4. J. Monaghan
5. Hoppa/Hicks
6. Walker
7. M.Monaghan

8) 8) :D :D :D

innsaneink

Referee
Paullyboy said:
Why go all out signing backs and then let go one of your better performing backs in Scott Donald?

And Williamson has been very steady for them this year

You are logical after all pauuly.....I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I wouldnt mind Donald at the Tiges at all.

legend

Coach
What about Jamie Lyon? If Parra get Tahu, they will almost certainly release Lyon from the remaining years of his contract and he would in turn sign with Manly.

It's a very complicated and complex player market.

I still don't think that forward pack stacks up to some of the top sides and if BK gets injured, I still think they will struggle.

Razor

Coach
I still don't think that forward pack stacks up to some of the top sides and if BK gets injured, I still think they will struggle.

Back Row

Watmough
Kennedy
Menzies

Front Row

King
Randall
Kite

Bench

Harris
Heckenberg
Donnelly

It's not that bad. Depth in the prop stakes is low, but 2nd row they could lose one without too many problems, especially with Kite being able to play there(but then they have the prop depth problem)

legend

Coach
Still a bit weak IMO. Even without Wiki next year, Canberra's forward pack would still crush Manly as would the Roosters, Broncos, Dragons, Panthers and Bulldogs.

I have no doubt Manly will improve but unless you have the men to chew up the yards in the middle of the park, the backline will always be ineffective.

Raider_69

Post Whore
keeney said:
Big Mick said:

1. Stewart
2. Hicks
3. Tahu
4. Walker
5. Monoghan
6. Monoghan
7. Williams
8. Kite
9. Randell
10. King
11. Harris
12. Menzies
13. Kennedy

14. Haumoono
15. Heckenberg
16. Watmough
17. Donnelly

no swap him with monnas, monnas is a poor winger, he is a MUCH MUCH better centre.... but i think/hope/pray we will keep monnas :(

Raider_69

Post Whore
keeney said:
Big Mick said:

1. Stewart
2. Hicks
3. Tahu
4. Walker
5. Monoghan
6. Monoghan
7. Williams
8. Kite
9. Randell
10. King
11. Harris
12. Menzies
13. Kennedy

14. Haumoono
15. Heckenberg
16. Watmough
17. Donnelly

no swap him with monnas, monnas is a poor winger, he is a MUCH MUCH better centre.... but i think/hope/pray we will keep monnas :(

And i highly doubt McGuiness was on 380k per season :roll:
barrett is on 400k so we are lead to believe