What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Paul Gallen Captain/Coach?

Charlie124

First Grade
Normally I wouldnt bother suggesting such a thing as its unheard of in the modern game but i dont think there's ever been a set of circumstances quite like these and there might not ever be again.

1. They've already had 2 coaches this year
2. Flanagan is going back next year anyway, so why not?
3. No coaches would want the job with the ASADA investigation still going
4. They're dead last with nothing really to gain or lose
5. Gallen would probably inspire the playing group more than a coach can.
6. There's only 9 rounds remaining anyway.

There's probably several more reasons but at the end of the day, why not?

Discuss

maple_69

Bench
I guess its pretty easy as an outsider to have attitude of 'the Sharks are a shambles so why don't they'. That was certainly my first take.
I think though that knowing Gallen has a huge head and clearly has a lot of sway at the club, I wouldn't be giving him any more influence. When Flano comes back the clowns would find it hard to relinquish control of the circus.
Same thing happened at Penrith basically and it took 3 years to rebuild the culture and piss off all the chiefs.
Sharks are screwed for a few years unfortunately but there's no point them making it any longer than it has to be.

No outside coach is going to want the job knowing they won't have it next year anyway.
Fallen captain/coach was my first thought too.

Jaegerex

Juniors
Gallen pretty much did captain/coach in the lead up week for the Bronco's game. But looks like our U20's coach and Morris are going to be handling the coaching for at least a decent portion of what is left.

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Bench
Not a bad idea really and as a neutral NRL fan I would like to see it. But as a Saint George fan i'm not neutral and watching the sharks suffer gives me the giggles so I would prefer they got Price.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Hell no. All his attacking advice would be is - when we're in side the opponents 10m zone... pass it to me and let me get tackled.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
He could say the players aren't performing because the coach won't rouse on them, and the in the very same press conference, he could sack himself.

maple_69

Bench
Might as well give him the Australian gig. Would save us paying a coach to pick a list of 17 players out of the 50 best in the world to kill second rate nations.

JJ

Immortal
We would see the first gameplan revolving around one player taking five hit ups per set

I think even Gal could only manage 3... unless he is more special than we thought... he might prefer 2, and then being the go to on the last.

I think he should be CEO too