What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could someone explain the offsides?

nightfall

Juniors
Hi all,
been browsing the forum for a while, lots of good stuff here 8)

Anyone, I've read (correct me if i';m wrong) that the offsides in this game are NOT random... Could someone explain exactly how you can avoid getting called offside?

I mean I can make four good tackles in a row, and the play the balls won't be quick. Then, on the last tackle, my players automatically run EIGHT metres back, and I get called for offside... I can't do anything when this happens!!

THis seems to happen quite a bit. Also, sometimes when everyone is seemingly back 10 metres steve clark will go "NAH, that's a penalty, you're offside"

So can you slow the play the balls down so you can't get called offside?!

cheers!

NPK

Bench
We can't control how fast or how far the players run back after each tackle, so in that respect, offsides do seem random.

I think they should show a replay of the offside calls so that we can see who is offside (maybe they are tired and need to be interchanged?)

[furrycat]

Coach
A trigger within the game detects when a player is closer than 10 metres to the ball trigger. Unfortunately you cannot control the players or slow the play of the ball, so it is hard to stop offisdes except if you have an offside player to tackle, you should not use them to tackle.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
hopefully if its not too hard in the next version have the option of slowing the play the ball down to avoid things like this, u can even do this in arl 96.

one way to slow down the play the ball so your players can get back the 10 is to once you have hold of the opposition player (in one of those grab-and-hold tackles) is to keep pressing sprint. this will have your tackler put the opposition player down onto his back, slowing the play the ball.

ReplicatedGod

Juniors
I'm getting sick of offsides. Last night i wanted to play a game Aus vs GB and go into golden point. But about 6 mins in from full time, i had a player called offside on last tackle... which was about 10 metre out from my own line. This resulting in GB getting a try. Then about 3 min from full time, same thing happens again... them getting another try. Resulting in 12-24... or i think they got another try which was 12-30... cant remember.

Also I get alot of offsides called from taps and there's nothing I can do about it. My players seem to forget that you're ment to go back 10 metres before making a tackle. Instead they were about 5 metres from the person taking a tap.. and this was every player around the person taking the tap.

Damn these bugs [-(

nightfall

Juniors
thanks for the info everyone :)

that's what i thought, the player has no control over their players in this situation.. That's one reason why i'd like to see the penalties turned off. Like replicatedgod, i get annoyed when you're having a great game, penalty free, free flowing game, and then BAM! Offside called.....

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The offsides are random to an extent.

BUT as someone mentioned above, pressing the sprint button repeatedly when you tackle certainly gives your defensive line more time to get back. You can also change player to drag players back whilst the tackled player is getting up.

The only problem I can see is that some players, particularly the centres if you have the opposition in their own 20, just stand 5 metres offside. You cannot change to control them, and the computer always makes a dart from dummy half into them and gets the penalty.

For me the high tackles are worse. There is nothing more frustrating than keeping a team pinned down with some superb defence, only for a computer controlled player to come in with a high shot on a player you had already stopped on the 5th!.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah the game has far too many random elements that can screw around with you, the offsides can get annoying, but generally I can see now when the line are only 8 metres back (and damn it happens often) and when the AI takes their hitup I swap to the players right in front of the ball carrier and just run them backwards a few steps and wait to make the tackle, generally it works well.

My biggest complaint with offsides is when the AI players don't run back after making the tackle and just stand next to the dummy half and floor him as soon as he gets the ball. That is very frustrating. The AI tacklers making high shots is very annoying too. A good idea for the next version would be sliders to control these types of things, like sliders for referee strictness, so he doesn't pull up every high tackle or offside (and they can be turned off altogether too), and then sliders for your AI players to control how often they will tackle aggressively.

Crippler

Juniors
well in jonah lomu rugby if you are controlling an offside player the circle around the player will flash on and off to notify that he is indeed an offside player.

This must be implemented in the next league game.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah absolutely, much, much needed feature that, as well as replays indicating who was offside, just to stop your mates having a whinge at the game for having random offside crap and actually being able to see that yes, there was a penalty there. My best mate can't stand the game because of the offside calls, he gets about 5 a game on average, nowhere near what anyone else gets, so I dont know what he does, but he just thinks its random and bitches the game out continually.

Then again, he enjoys playing Cricket 2004 for extended periods of time, so that says a bit about his sports game taste.

ReplicatedGod

Juniors
I had my markers standing there once... but instead of 2 it turned out of be 3. I had one player standing IN another player so i couldnt see him... then he tackled the dummy half and i got called offside.

Really need to get rid of this crap of players running through each other. Especially players running through my full back :x

Also get rid of where players go to back a tackle... then get stuck running on the spot. This has costed me so many trys because of them leaving gaps in the line.

Latest posts