What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could this be Parramatta?

Bazal

Post Whore
The odds of Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith joining the Sydney Roosters next season have firmed dramatically following a phone call from former teammate Jim Dymock.

The Canberra Times can reveal Dymock, Smith's one-time Parramatta, Canterbury and Hull teammate and now the Roosters' Jersey Flegg coach, phoned the veteran playmaker on Saturday to sound him out about a possible move to the 2002 premiers next season.

Smith had already been linked with Canberra, South Sydney and the North Queensland Cowboys but the club's three respective chief executives - Simon Hawkins, Shane Richardson and Peter Parr - have all confirmed they would not be making offers to the 34-year-old.

Smith's manager Sam Ayoub also remained adamant there still remained another club outside of the Roosters in the hunt for his client's signature but would not reveal which one it was.

Should Smith sign with the Roosters his role would be similar to what he has done during his two years in Canberra, assisting in the development of the club's young halves.

"I haven't seen too much of [the Roosters' halves] but from what I've heard of Jamie Soward, he's going to be the next big thing," Smith said.

"And apparently the young bloke, [Josh] Lewis, there's a lot of people that have got big wraps on him as well, so that'd be great to work with the young kids.

"You have a look at their halves now, they were the State of Origin halves in games one and two, and you have a look at Ashley Harrison who's a Queensland player, Chris Flannery's a Queenslander, Anthony Minichiello's one of the best players in the game - they have got decent players there."

Smith joined his teammates in their penultimate training session yesterday before Saturday's crucial round 18 clash against the Panthers in Penrith

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...ry_id=492578&category=Rugby League&m=7&y=2006

Now, it does seem that if he goes anywhere it will be the Roosters, but could the other interested party mentioned be Parramatta? I seem to recall Fitzgerald mentioning in an interview somewhere that they were talking to a few five-eighths, perhaps one is Smith. What would you all think if we did sign him?

Personally, I would love him at Parramatta for the experience and tutelage he could give guys like Tim Smith, Blake Green, Feleti Mateo etc.

Of course this could all be manager talk to up his price...

Bazal

Post Whore
Mixmasterreece said:
Could be the Warriors, they are looking around for 5/8s.

To be honest it could be anyone. I'm just putting Parramatta in there as a possible given the veil of silence Ayoub is under regarding the "other club". The same silence that Parramatta have adopted since the Lyon saga.

I know, I know....straws are being clutched :crazy:

strider

Post Whore
i did hear rumours of smith to both the Gold Coast and Cowboys a few weeks back

James_Hardie

Juniors
This is not a crack at Jason Smith, he still has tonnes to offer, and i would be more than happy to see him back at the Eels.

But does the fact that around 6 clubs have been linked with a 34 year old 5/8 a sign of the lack of quality play makers in the game? Some critics are saying the quality of football has dropped this year and part of that reason is the over analysis and simplistic style of game which is now deemed the most effective way of winning matches. And part of the reason for the simplistic play, is the lack of quality play makers to play open football. Obviously there are still some, but it seems harder and harder for clubs to play a quality half and 5/8 pairing.