What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could we have played worse and won?

paulquinn49

Bench
he was? I didnt see him

will this be some thing the raiders do, I wonder if stuart will sit in front of you guys next sgb outing

I was wondering why I could hear Waltzing Meninga

sydraider

First Grade
its not about being underrated anymore, we proved our point last year, we need to move forward, we have to add dimensions. If drew played today i guarantee we would have lost. Mr elliot you have to make the tough call or you will end up like brian smith, add campo to the pack, macca needs a back up playmaker.
You dont win the comp with an attitude of mediocraty, that second half was disgusting, if the dragons didnt play like a bunch of spastics, we would have been smashed.The broncos, roosters,warriors and bulldogs would have score 5 tries against a team like that.
The time is now, we have to move forward and not stay where we are.

sydraider said:
its not about being underrated anymore, we proved our point last year, we need to move forward, we have to add dimensions. If drew played today i guarantee we would have lost. Mr elliot you have to make the tough call or you will end up like brian smith, add campo to the pack, macca needs a back up playmaker.
You dont win the comp with an attitude of mediocraty, that second half was disgusting, if the dragons didnt play like a bunch of spastics, we would have been smashed.The broncos, roosters,warriors and bulldogs would have score 5 tries against a team like that.
The time is now, we have to move forward and not stay where we are.

So not only do you have no faith in Matty Elliot, but you're also a psychic too are you?

sydraider

First Grade
Hey man all i know from what i seen today is we were the same as last year, you dont win comps without shifting gear
We didnt sign any new players cos we have some great young talent ready to come into the team and all i seen this week was elliot waiting till the 11th hour for a guy like drew.
Drew is yesterdays news and should stay that way.

IT IS THE FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! :roll:

I have no idea how to respond to the Drew remarks, because they don't even make sense..........

greeneyed

First Grade
I do think we should have picked McLinden and Campese in the halves today. Drew on the bench. For some reason Woolford can't keep up for 80 minutes anymore... well maybe it is fair enough as he is getting older (and I couldn't do it!!!). We need Drew on the bench to come on for Woolford, we really missed him when he went off today.

legend

Coach
Drew IMO creates more problems than he solves. He stifles McLinden's attack and plays pretty much for himself which is the hallmark of his game.

Lawrence and Campo can do the job of Drew and also agree some of the youngsters need to blooded but it maybe a little early yet. All I can say is thank god we got the two point but we need to not panic when the game gets tight.

The biggest positive was to see Macca back himself early in the tackle count to score us the match winner. He has confidence in his own ability and that alone is a huge positive.

sydraider

First Grade
IT IS THE FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

I have no idea how to respond to the Drew remarks, because they don't even make sense..........

First or last theres no point in hesitation
Bottom line is we were lucky to win against a tream that played shocking, if the dogs can throw on a performance like they did last night even under all the duress they are, then why couldnt we smash an underperforming team today?????

We are better than all of them. we can beat all of them but we need to make the right decisions to make it happen.
I just see it that way, criticise me all you want but i am sick of half measures and excuses. Drew is not an option as far as i care, thats my view and i believe iam entitled to it, just as you are to have him in the team.
It takes talent and balls to win a comp, we have that waiting in the wings, i aint gonna sit around and watch it get signed by the roosters when freddy retires.

The point I am trying to make is that why criticize Drew when you haven't even seen him play this year. If he plays next week and has a shocker, then by all means call for his head, but saying he should be axed now when he hasn't done anything this year is ridiculous IMO.

And yes, Campo and Carney are the future. That's right, the future, not neccessarily the present. They're young and inexperienced. Had they played today, they might not have had the cool head that say Drew may have. He had some defensive lapses last year, but we need his experience and kicking game, it's an essential part of our campaign this year.

It's only week one, we won the game, Drew didn't even play, and already people are calling for his head. For crying out loud.........

brenno

Juniors
i for one would like to see campo & mclinden in the halves then have drew coming off the bench. I think the campo and mclinden combo will work well as campo has a solid long kicking game while marty's short kicking game can be quite effective. Btw, did anybody see the reggies game? Interested to hear how carney and campese went. A win's a win, scrappy 2nd half though. Panthers game should be interesting.

greeneyed

First Grade
We aren't crying for his head. We are crying for a long term halves combination. THIS PLAN.... ie Croker at 5/8th... DIDN'T WORK LAST YEAR....... We need Macca and Campese to build a combination. I think Drew is CRITICAL to our campaign. But that is principally because we need Woolford to have an exceptional workrate out of dummy half and he just can't keep it up for 80 minutes any more. We NEED Drew off the bench as impact player, really need him. Let's just GO FOR IT Matty....

greeneyed

First Grade
I can also see NOW that Drew and Macca are never going to work at half and 5/8th, and Drew HIMSELF says he prefers to play at hooker.... you guys work it out.....!!!!

I agree with you greeneyed, but sydraider is saying that Drew is not an option... period. Drew should come off the bench, that's his best position. I like the idea of testing Campo... BUT... that would mean we'd lose an extra forward like Smith, Hodgo or Cross, I don't know if we can afford that with our gameplan...

sydraider

First Grade
Dont get me wrong, if drew comes back and proves me wrong then so be it, i am a team player and whatever is best for my beloved green machine i wish for.
I just think we should move forward, elliot seems to be playing the same formula, that wont beat the likes of the dogs or the roosters.
I know its the first round, there is a long way to go, this is exactly my point, if ya dontr try now its gonna be too late in round 21.
This is the time for blooding.

BradtheRipper

Juniors
well said syd,
but today matty wanted a complete defensive unit, no phil, drew and toots at 5/8 we were lucky to score that many tries. holding the dragons to two points in a half is a good result. i couldn't hear a whisper from blacklock, gasnier and cooper. they were marked for death amd that's why simmons had a great game. If matty wants offense it will be phil in the centres for boogas. campo at 5/8 and drew on the bench. if defense, phil on the wing for robertson, toots at 5/8 and drew in premier league so we can have cross, weyman, martin, smith/hodgson on the bench.
Is any of the SGB back yet. i was hoping to chat with them soon, but after fulltime i seen Davico inviting them into the dressing room. I hate not being at the game, you can only see one thing at a time. on tv you mostly watch the god damn play the ball. i don't even see one when i'm at the game!

Stay Green!

Edwahu

Bench
Campo at 5/8th will play exactly like Toots does at 5/8th anyway, except without the mongrel toots brings and of course Campo can boot it 6o on the fly. He isnt going to do much for our attack for a while yet.

I agree with Drew on the bench and he has to be used purely as a dummy half replacement for germ.