What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of Jets items ive come across today

Red Bear

Referee
Firstly, on the Footy show there was a bit of Jets exposure, with Matty Johns wearing a Newtown Jets trucker hat and the drummer from that band they always have was wearing a Newtown Jets shirt.

Secondly, a rumour i have seen today and i hope is absilute bullshit is that Newtown are set to merge with Cronulla and it will be announced next week. I hope to god this is bullshit. This went hand in hand with the rumour that Premier League and Jim beam Cup are to be merged(i hope that is also false.

Anyway, good luck for the weekend(Bulldogs this weekend isnt it?)

Jeffles

Bench
Rubgy League Review reported that Newtown was in talks with Cronulla about the Jets being the Shark's PL team.

As for the second rumour, I hope to God that there is still a presence of old foundation clubs. Newtown would suffer financially if they had to pay Sydney Bulls instead of the Bulldogs, or Cabramatta instead of Parramatta, etc, etc.

Red Bear

Referee
I see. I dont want the premier league and Jim Beam cup to merge cos i think it can create huge problems as you have stated. If the Sharks rumour were to come true what would your thoughts on it be?

I recall a game a couple of seasons ago at Shark Park (or whatever it was called that week) where they beat us by two points in First Division.

I spoke to one of the Sharks officials. He worked out that they had about $1.2 million on the park in annual sign-ons/match payments - we had well below $200K.

If we're doing this job for them, even if they gave us half their annual cattle budget to do it on their behalf, plus players from their top 25 not needed in the NRL, we'd be way ahead, and so would they.

The only non-negotiable things would be the name and the jersey.

As it stands, we do amazing things with no help from anybody (no NRL grant, no automatic development fees when someone goes up). Give us a few quid and the Jets could give the comp a real shake.

Jeeze - just think - Murph coaching with a full-price squad to choose from - he wouldn't know himself!

Regards,
TDT-1

in the crowd

Juniors
This all sound positive. Although Newtown has done well with limited resources since 2000. It would be nice to give the comp a real shake. Imagine the crowds!

Having some depth to cover injuries etc.

2 True Blues

Coach
I'd also like to win lotto this Saturday night. Think of all the goodies I could buy.

GET REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffles

Bench
A feeder agreement would be good. I'd prefer Melbourne por the Cowboys so that we can have more "traditional clashes" in Premier League. If we do get Cronulla we will lose Newtown-Cronulla clashes.

Still, beggars can't be choosers. This club can't afford to wait around for an out of Sydney club to come through. Up the Jets!

Red Bear

Referee
One other Jets thing, the the fridge in the Aussie dressing room at the SCG has Newtown Jets stickers on it!

Henson Park Hornets said:
Will the Jets end up losing any home games to What-ever-the-cronulla-home-ground-is-called-this-week?

They better not. you'd have to change your name for that week for a start to "What-ever-the-cronulla-home-ground-is-called-this-week Hornet" and that's too much of a mouthful. :D

Bluebag

Juniors
There may be 2-3 home games played at Shark park such as against Canberra, Newcastle and Penrith teams which do not draw well at Henson Park. Otherwise it is business as usual at Henson Park.