What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covell Re-signs

Genius Freak

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24300568-5006066,00.html

THE Sharks have received a major boost on the eve of the finals, with point-scoring machine Luke Covell about to sign a new one-year deal. While Covell's unlikely rise to NRL top scorer doubles as one of this season's feel-good stories, his protracted contract talks have given Sharks fans a headache during an otherwise positive season.
But The Daily Telegraph can reveal Covell is poised to sign a new deal in coming days after fruitful talks between his management and Sharks officials.
The 26-year-old winger's agent Steve Gillis met with Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia on Thursday to finalise the deal, which will tie up the winger for a further season.
Preparations for tonight's clash against North Queensland at Toyota Park prevented Covell from agreeing to terms yesterday. He will re-sign Monday.
Gillis said Covell had attracted interest from rugby clubs and the UK Super League but had always expressed a desire to remain with the Sharks.
"His family lives in the area and he doesn't want to move away,'' Gillis said. "I had a good talk with Zap and it was all very positive. We are happy with a one-year deal but with an important match coming up, I'd thought I'd wait until afterthe game to talk the offer through with Luke.''
The Sharks have always wanted to retain the New Zealand international, but his emergence as one of the form wingers in the NRL translated to salary-cap pressure on the club's 2009 plans.
Cronulla have already spent up big, attracting internationals Trent Barrett and Anthony Tupou and leaving little room to move.
With Covell staying put, it is now inevitable that fellow winger Misi Taulapapa will be joining Bryson Goodwin elsewhere next season.
The Daily Telegraph understands Penrith have already expressed interest in Taulapapa, another unlikely 2008 success story at the Sharks. Goodwin signed with the Bulldogs several months ago.
Cronulla head into tonight's final premiership game needing a minor miracle to deliver the club's first minor premiership since 1999.
As well as victory over the lowly Cowboys, the Sharks need both Manly and Melbourne to stumble against Penrith and Souths respectively because of their inferior points difference.

Shame to lose Misi. Why not Simmo instead?

Squae

Juniors
Awesome, about time.

Wonder why only a 1 year deal?, anyone got any idea how much the contract would be worth?

squiddy

Juniors
If Cronulla can only offer Covell a one year deal due to salary constraints and we have released Noddy and will perhaps save big dollars on Bird , we are definitely paying overs for some of our players .

I'm stoked that Cov has got another year with us but I wish we could have also given Misi another chance with us too

If Cronulla can only offer Covell a one year deal due to salary constraints and we have released Noddy and will perhaps save big dollars on Bird , we are definitely paying overs for some of our players .

I'm stoked that Cov has got another year with us but I wish we could have also given Misi another chance with us too

Perhaps not Squiddy.

Maybe there is a plan in place to make a purchase next year. Besides Bird aint gone yet.

Alan Shore

First Grade

2009 is the final year of Ross' big deal - he will get a pay cut which can go towards Covell. Simmons is also off-contract and we can piss him off.

I think Simmo was offered $180k by Newcastle but took a lot less to stay with us, didn't someone tell him that loyalty is out the window these days!! :lol:

As far as the mighty Luke only signing for one year, I would say it has a bit to do with the Ross scenario, as Mr.Alan Shore pointed out, as well as others contracts having different amounts each year eg: if Barrett and Toupo get more of their money in their first or second or third year (Toops) whichever the case may be. I'd say if Luke is still in form next year, and the circumstances are right, he'll be offered an upgrade.

dolph_sharkphin

Juniors
Good news:thumn. However, I would prefer to have seen him signed up for 2-3 years. Also, IMHO, it will be a shame to see misi cut. Why? And why oh why would we not cut a different member of our back line who is a consistant under-performer? What the??

TheShiftyShark

Juniors
Our last 5 home games begin with that game against Manly.

Misi had a standout shocker, which was pretty hard considering most of the team did.

I used to be a fan of the guy, but dead set theres 1000's of guys running around where he came from that would be better than him.

Ausguy

Coach
Our last 5 home games begin with that game against Manly.

Misi had a standout shocker, which was pretty hard considering most of the team did.

I used to be a fan of the guy, but dead set theres 1000's of guys running around where he came from that would be better than him.

Fugg me .... tell me who played well against Manly that night...?

i get your point u dont want him... but who do we have thats currently better???

TheShiftyShark

Juniors
I just think he makes alot of mistakes and with our inability to score points its something we cant really afford. Plus he doesnt really offer much in attack to counter the mistakes he makes.

See bugger all of the Under 20's over here, is there no one running around there that could fill the role?

Inferno

Coach
Fugg me .... tell me who played well against Manly that night...?

i get your point u dont want him... but who do we have thats currently better???

I think Simmo is a better winger than Misi, only area Misi is better is dummy half running, outside of that I think Simmo is quicker (marginally), better through the air and much less prone to brain explosions.