What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys dont deserve to be premiers!!

panthersballboy

Juniors
Most people say this due to the cowboys getting flogged by the tigers a couple of weeks ago. The dogs got touched up by the cowboys last year and still took the title and no one would deny them being deserved premiers. If the cowboys win they are deserved premiers. In saying that go the Tigers!!!

I can see some element of truth in the thread title, only in that the Cowboys haven't really performed consistently well over the last two months, with arguably the only 'good' game (meaning they have played to their expected standards) they played being last Sunday.

However you have to play the hand you are dealt, regardless of the draw or Macintyre system (which I'm pretty bloody sick of hearing about) or whatever, they have managed to get to the Grand Final, and you can't be an ordinary side and get this far. They are a good side and no-one can take away any success they gain this season.

I've actually tipped them to win it. Good luck to them.

The interesting thing will be how they are compared to other premiers of the past, similar to recent threads. eg "Rate the premiers in order from 1990-2005" To be perfectly honest I don't think they'd get in the top 10.

weasel

First Grade
Tbh, I do personally believe any side that loses in the finals doesn't deserve to be premiers, under the mcintyre system anyway. People in this thread are pointing to the fact that teams that can't deal with the pressure of finals football deserve to bow out, well I'd say a team losing at home to a side that finished five places lower than them on the ladder is failing to deal with the pressure, a la Canterbury last year. I'd be much happier if it was just straight knockout, at least then no teams would get a second chance, and there'd be no byes, so there could be no complaining about advantages and disadvantages. Teams one and two playing eighth and seventh respectively is reward enough. What's also ridiculous about the cowboys defenders using the "finals pressure" reasoning as the crux of their argument is the fact the cowboys weren't guaranteed a second chance in the first week. We all saw last year that a team can be knocked out from fifth, so you can hardly excuse NQ for their first week loss based on the fact they'd have another opportunity. Week one showed them crumbling under finals pressure.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
The interesting thing will be how they are compared to other premiers of the past, similar to recent threads. eg "Rate the premiers in order from 1990-2005" To be perfectly honest I don't think they'd get in the top 10.

they wont even rate a mention really...not unless they back up next yr and win again.
Something similar to the raiders of 1989. when they won in 1990 it cemented them as a great team.

Nickeel

Juniors
panthersballboy said:
Most people say this due to the cowboys getting flogged by the tigers a couple of weeks ago. The dogs got touched up by the cowboys last year and still took the title and no one would deny them being deserved premiers. If the cowboys win they are deserved premiers. In saying that go the Tigers!!!

True, but the difference is that the Dogs were second in the regular season last year. The Cowboys this year were fifth. If you've finished in the bottom half of the top 8 and get smashed in the first week, it is arguable whether you deserve to continue - but as it has been said, that is the system in place, and the Cowboys fought back valiantly to make it to the first Sunday in October.

As much as I wanted Parramatta to be there (and the gloomy weather in Sydney is reflecting my mood at the moment), in a season as wildly unpredictable as 2005, it is fitting that we have a grand final before us that no-one could have picked three weeks ago, and few would have picked even last Friday.

Good luck to both teams. Go the Tigers!

Nick

lotti

Bench
look at what happened in 1999 Melbourne lost to the Dragons in week one but come fulltime in the game that counted the trophy was headed south of the border thanks to a Craig Smith penalty try.

Nickeel

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
they wont even rate a mention really...not unless they back up next yr and win again.
Something similar to the raiders of 1989. when they won in 1990 it cemented them as a great team.

I agree. The premier this year will have to return to at least Finals Week 3 next year, if not go back to back, to ensconce their position as a giant. A win this year, followed by a failure to back it up will stand as a great achievement, but will probably be remembered in a different light.

Nick

Charlie Saab said:

The 89 Raiders is a good comparison, and a benchmark.

Barry Mundi

Juniors
LRC, yes they've copped a flogging recently, but they've also dished one out to the minor premiers on sunday, did you miss that game ?

They're also the only team in the last weeks of the finals series that were their last year. so what is consistancy and how long do you measure it over ?

No, but of course your right LRC, they shouldn't be there.

Let's forget reality and go back to pre school rules to solve it for all the people with blinkers on by just pretending they didn't thrash the eels on sunday.

It's got nothing to do with the mcyntyre system, it's just a basic fact that most parra supporters can't accept they copped a hiding.

Both the players, and supporters were too cocky and were caught on the their back foot and now want someone or something to vent their anger on.

It could have just as easily tipped the way. The cowboys found their rythym after a nervous start, the eels didn't

If you can't deal with it, don't display your lack of self discipline & childlike understanding of real life situations on the internet, ring up and have a private conversation with someone from over here

Nickeel

Juniors
Barry Mundi said:
LRC, yes they've copped a flogging recently, but they've also dished one out to the minor premiers on sunday, did you miss that game ?:blahb: :blahb:

Isn't LRC a Roosters fan? I know he's not a Parramatta fan.

Well done on goosing yourself Barry, btw.

Nick

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
LRC said:
Im sorry to any cow cow fans...i do like the team and what they bring to the game...but.... really...they dont deserve to be there.
There form all year has been up and down... they have not been consistant enough and have been given a couple of floggings including one just a couple of weeks ago.

The cow cows have no where near been as good as the other 3 teams and yet are potential champions.Even the Broncos and Storm have been better most the year.

Is it time to go to a premier league system to reward the true champions who back up week in and out??
I dont know..
I do like the finals series, and the premiers and grandinalists of the last few years have been worthy ...but if the tigers arent premiers this year, then a great injustice will have been done.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....both teams turn up and play your hearts out.
Something we havent seen consistantly all season even as late as last week.

u say cowboys mite not deserve 2 win, but the bottom line is they r there. in 1999 and. 2002 the sharks deserved 2 win the comp, but they didnt . life isnt about fair, its about who can perform in the finals.

Charlie Saab said:
thats is wrong.
Under the AFL system the cows would have player manly up in NQ and who knows what would have happened. I dont they would have lost up there to Manly.
AFL system (used by the ARL in 1995/6) is
1 v 4
2 v 3
5 v 8
6 v 7

That is right but what I was saying is that it does not allow a team that finishes 5th a second chance. They may well have beat Manly (most likely), but they would have been forced to win 3 games in a row before they made the GF. IMO that is a better system as it forces the lower ranked teams to show some consistency before they can make the GF, while allowing teams who have been consistent all year some leway.

Having said this they still deserve to be there as they put in a blinder on Sunday.

Barry Mundi

Juniors
Nickeel said:
Isn't LRC a Roosters fan? I know he's not a Parramatta fan.

Well done on goosing yourself Barry, btw.

Nick

I wouldn't know what he's a fan of.

I replied to a post started by him on why the Cowboys don't deserve to be premiers (if they make it, btw, still a great game to come).

If that's considered goosing yourself on this forum, then so be it. :roll:

Nickeel

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
u say cowboys mite not deserve 2 win, but the bottom line is they r there. in 1999 and. 2002 the sharks deserved 2 win the comp, but they didnt . life isnt about fair, its about who can perform in the finals.

What about the mighty Sharks team of 1988, BBSF?

Life is cruel, eh?

Nick

MrSharky

Juniors
Yes Nick we have fallen at the last hurdle on many occasions...

Our time will come...

icon6.gif

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Nickeel said:
What about the mighty Sharks team of 1988, BBSF?

Life is cruel, eh?

Nick

i wasnt a huge supporter back then but fininshing minor premiers only to go down controversially a week before the final to an ellerly hanley special would of been heartbreaking

but they had 2 chances to get to the gf that yr and blew both

El Diablo

Post Whore
Barry Mundi said:
I wouldn't know what he's a fan of.

I replied to a post started by him on why the Cowboys don't deserve to be premiers (if they make it, btw, still a great game to come).

If that's considered goosing yourself on this forum, then so be it. :roll:

bullsh*t

you claimed he was a Parra fan.

Nickeel

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
i wasnt a huge supporter back then but fininshing minor premiers only to go down controversially a week before the final to an ellerly hanley special would of been heartbreaking

but they had 2 chances to get to the gf that yr and blew both

I wasn't a fan of them back then either... Was that when Luke Covell Sr was still running around?

Nick

JJ said:
the minor premiership rewards the team that is best week in and week out...

the premiership is more about who can stand up under immense pressure and play their best football when it's all on the line...

Parramatta and St G/Ill didn't do that last week, but the Tigers and Cowboys did... simple as that.

I'd agree with that if they didn't lose by 44 in week one.

The AFL finals system is the best top 4 then 4-8 play each other.

Back to the Cows If the beat the Tigers...... then htey deserve it.
Suffer to the teams that blew there chance (Storm included).