What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Field is aiming for a return to the NRL.

SMOKEY

Juniors
:oops: :roll:
Craig Field is aiming for a return to the NRL.

Field of dreams
By DEAN RITCHIE
30may03
ONE-time bad-boy Craig Field has returned to Australia and will make a dramatic return to rugby league this week.

And Field told The Daily Telegraph last night he still harboured a passion to play in the NRL.

Field, 30, had nine months with the Pia Donkeys in France but arrived home last week and will play for Belrose A grade against Narraweena at Beverley Job Oval this Sunday in the Manly junior league.

The former Souths, Manly, Balmain and Wests Tigers halfback left Australia in disgrace after testing positive to cocaine in March 2001 and was involved in a fight at Balmain Leagues Club last year.

Field will inform Pia this November whether he will accept the club's captain-coach position.

He will, in the meantime, hope to play strongly for Belrose – where former first graders Josh Stuart and Adam Nable also play – and secure a role with an NRL club.

"I just want to enjoy my football. I'm feeling fresh and want to have some fun in the park without any pressure," Field said last night.

"It will be good to throw the ball around, keep playing and keep fit."

Field is practical about a possible NRL comeback but says he would talk to any club looking for an experienced halfback.

"At the end of the day I'd be silly not to say I wouldn't like another opportunity," Field said.

"But I respect clubs are in [financial] situations.

"I know I made some blunders but there are still others out there playing who have also made blunders.

"I watched some highlights on Fox last night and see some teams are struggling in the halves.

"My phone is always turned on. I'd love to get back out there and mix it with the best.

"I'm nearing 200 first grade games and would like to finish my career on a better note.

"But again if a club wants to go with youth I don't have a problem with that.

"If it comes good, if it doesn't I'll get on with life."

Field said his stint in France turned around his life.

"I've moved forward," Field said.

"I regret what happened but you learn from your mistakes.

"France was the best thing for me.

"The standard of footy was frustrating at times but my family and I got to see Europe and learn a different culture.

"I think I have come back a better person. Sometimes things happen for a reason."

Coach Steve Lewis said Belrose would benefit enormously from having Field play the remainder of this season at his club.

"Having Craig here will just be good for the entire Belrose club," Lewis said.

"He will also bring plenty of experience. We have a very young side, the average age is about 22 or 23. Craig will guide us around the park."

Despite playing in the local league, Manly have no immediate plans to sign Field.

"Craig's an outstanding player and we think it's great he will be playing in our back yard but we aren't looking to make changes to our existing squad," said Manly football manager Peter Peters.

Does he have what it takes to return to 1st grade?

Slugs

Mayor_Quimby said:
bronco said:
Which NRL club would be stupid enough to take this guy on?

souths :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong....didn't Craig Field play for Manly :roll: :roll: :roll:

......and wasn't it Manly that took on Hoopa when no one else would "Touch him " (excuse the pun) :lol: :lol: :lol: