What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Gower

MONY

Juniors
Do you actually think he will come to Melbourne.....IMO he will stay at Penrith or go to England probably Castleford for the "Ching Ching Ching"

Hoggy

Bench
We lost Orford, Kearns, Chan and Bell,

The only big name we picked up was Crocker, Walker was dirt cheap.

I dare say we can afford him!

MONY

Juniors
Inglis upgrade, Cross, Crossman, Crocker......would command a bit of money....plus im sure there was an upgrade in someone elses contract so im not too sure if we could afford him....surelt he would command around $400,000 a year or there abouts.

shadow grinder

First Grade
cam and king both re-signed. prolly for more money.

inglis is getting a fair bit.

and gower would go for 400,000 plus.

LESStar58

Referee
I have this horrible feeling we wont get him. Every halfback whose future was up in the air had been linked to us since Orford pissed off.... the list so far

1. Head (apparently set to be released so Hornby could play half and Greenshields fullback at the Dragons)

2. Kimmorely (wanted to leave the Sharks because of supposed troubles with Raper)

3. Gower

Add to this that O'Sullivan came out around the time of the Head rumour and stated his support for Cooper Cronk and he was first choice halfback for 2006.

LESStar58

Referee
Also, not sure if anyone has seen this in today's Sun...

Source:http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18049368%5E14823,00.html

Gower edges closer to Storm deal
Dean Ritchie
06feb06

PENRITH star Craig Gower is poised to move to Melbourne after being dumped as Panthers captain.

His manager Greg Willett said last night the heartbroken Gower's health had deteriorated badly since he received the news. Willett said Gower felt "let down" by the Panthers.
Gower, who returns home on Wednesday from his honeymoon in Vietnam, will hold talks with Penrith later in the week.

Indications are Gower will request a release and sign with Melbourne Storm.

The Australian Tri-Nations halfback remains angry at losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 ($70,000 suspended) after a drunken weekend at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

"I've never seen him so white and sick," Willett said yesterday. "He was so disappointed how it (his sacking and fine) was done. He didn't look good.

"It affected him badly. His health was no good and he was heartbroken.

"This isn't about football or any amount of money. It's about his health."

Willett said the crux of his meeting last week with Penrith officials was to discuss Gower's health.

"I was worried about him." Willett said. "There has been an emotional strain on him. That's why I went to Penrith.

"I think he could have got more backing on the homefront (at Penrith).

"That's what I said to them."

Willett would not speculate on whether Gower would formally request a release.

"We'll go and see Penrith when he gets back. He'll make up his own mind," he said.

English club Castleford coach Terry Matterson revealed yesterday that Gower's manager had been in touch when the issue first blew up at Christmas time.

Matterson said the club was interested in Gower if he was released.

The newly promoted Castleford Tigers are searching for a halfback following the club's failure to sign Cronulla's Adam Dykes.

"Obviously, it's a position where we feel we are one down and he's top of the range," Matterson said. "His manager has contacted us, but I'm not too sure where we go from here. We are obviously interested.

"For someone like that to come on to the market would be very strange.

"I'm not too sure what happened in all the drama, but if he were to ask for a release, it would be a big move."

Melbourne also claims to have the money under the club's salary cap to lure Gower south.

Willet said: "Everyone keeps saying he did this and did that (at the charity day).

"He is supposed to have done all those things in 10 seconds. He may be quick, but he's not that quick."

Gower would be the icing on the cake for Storm and would make the backline one of the best in the comp...can't see it happening but would be bloody good if it did.

MONY

Juniors
hell no....Inglis will play for Australia one day and be great.....

I would have Gower over Cronk any day but I just can't see how we would pay him..... he still has four years of his contract at penrith plus would have to sign another contract with the storm and all this would be a sh*t load of cash.

freeridermx

Juniors
hopefully he wont i would hate to see him at the storm infact i think i would stop supporting them. couldn`t stand him before all the crap this year now it just worse . and he i dont think he is that great for the money and the problems you get with him . cronk is a lot cheaper and looks quite good in qld cup . so gower can piss off to england . he is just looking like a little brat the way he is going on atm.

MONY

Juniors
freeridermx said:
hopefully he wont i would hate to see him at the storm infact i think i would stop supporting them. couldn`t stand him before all the crap this year now it just worse . and he i dont think he is that great for the money and the problems you get with him . cronk is a lot cheaper and looks quite good in qld cup . so gower can piss off to england . he is just looking like a little brat the way he is going on atm.

Do you actually watch Rugby League.....Gower is a proven pure class halfback...If you say he would be worth too much for the sh*t he brings, then why did we sign, Crocker, Cross, Walker....I'm willing to give the Cronkster a fair go but if Gower came to us I would be over the moon.....Best 1-7 in the competition:

Slater
Geyer
King
Inglis
Webster
Hill
Gower

f**k me dead........

you can never have too many world class players in your team..... Say Ronaldo had some troubles in his career and he moved to someone like Everton or something.....they would be absolutely thrilled as would the fans...

kbw

Bench
No way, Gower is so overrated, and before you ask, yes I have been watching RL for around 40 years.
The success that Penrith have had over the last few years is not due much to Gower.
Its Priddis and some of the young forwards that are the difference.
Gower is not even a real halfback, he is a hooker and a sook. Don't give me the line about him being tough and playing with injuries, most of the players are playing with injuries. Gower is a diver and a cat.
All but one of his rep appearances were terrible, the further he is away from any team I like, the better

MONY

Juniors
Honestly, people who say Gower is overrated and a sook are just morons.....

Gower IS a very good Halfback....you don't play for Australia if you are crap..... with all the quality halfbacks out there today, to be number 2 to Johns is pretty dam good.

kbw

Bench
He is not the #2 to Johns, and look at ever time (apart from 1 game last year) he has played any rep football, he was shocking.
Watch his game closely, he always runs sideways, throws flat passes. The only other thing he can do is take dives.

PS you can play for Australian if you are not that good.
Plenty of Manly players can attest to that in the 80s and 90s, not to mention the odd brisbane player.