What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Stapleton

Just announced on the Souths homepage that he has signed with us for the remainder of the year. He is a journeyman prop who has played quite a bit of NRL and ESL. Most importantly, I believe he is right to go this weekend so that will boost our forward stocks a little. Thinking this may be the only game he plays in the red and green though. Hopefully! Things really are desperate....

African Monkey

First Grade
This guy was a very good prop while he was at Penrith and Cronulla. It will be great for us if he can return to his 2006-2007 form.

If I'm being completely honest here, I'm thinking he will play 20 - 30 minutes for us this week and then we will have to be desperately unlucky between here and the end of the year to see him in a Bunnies jersey again. He has been playing first grade in the Illawarra comp so he has some sort of match fitness about him. Just needs to come off the bench this week, make about 10-15 hit ups and tackles with zero errors and misses and then he can shuffle off to Norths the week after, never to be seen again. He is certainly experienced enough to suggest that this should not be a problem.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
this is like j-lowe... a signing on the run, cause injuries and rep duties are catching up with us. i'll feel good about our depth once everyone is back

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Well it is up to him really, this is obviously his last chance to play in the NRL, and if he can show that he still has something at his age, he may even score a 1 year contract for 2011.

If not, he can go out with a bang, and smash up some of the young Bronco pups this weekend. :p

Fein

First Grade
This guy was a very good prop while he was at Penrith and Cronulla. It will be great for us if he can return to his 2006-2007 form.

He sure was good at The Sharks.

I'm happy with this, we had to do something on minimal coin.

He sure was good at The Sharks.

I'm happy with this, we had to do something on minimal coin.

I agree.

We had to get a Forward from somewhere. Who knows??? With Luke going great guns playing 80, Crossman going ok and Geddes down for the rest of the year, it could develop into a battle between J.Lowe and Stapleton for a final bench spot. even when we have a full strength team named, I reckon you need a couple of pigs on the bench to do the hard stuff. It would be a travesty to have the likes of Burgess and Taylor just carting it up the middle. Our sides of late have had a nice balance with two props, and a couple of solid backrowers coming off the bench.

Fein

First Grade
I agree.

We had to get a Forward from somewhere. Who knows??? With Luke going great guns playing 80, Crossman going ok and Geddes down for the rest of the year, it could develop into a battle between J.Lowe and Stapleton for a final bench spot. even when we have a full strength team named, I reckon you need a couple of pigs on the bench to do the hard stuff. It would be a travesty to have the likes of Burgess and Taylor just carting it up the middle. Our sides of late have had a nice balance with two props, and a couple of solid backrowers coming off the bench.

Exactly right DKOR.

Same goes for Roy.

These blokes are too good to be battering rams, that's where Geddes came into his own.

That Tyrell kid goes great as well.

Bumble

First Grade
Might be a good signing. God knows we needed it.

Remember, Bryan Norrie was signed up to play for Parkes or someone at the start of this season before Bellamy took him to the Storm...and he's been going great.

johnkelley

Juniors
No matter what happens with Craig Stapleton i think it is outstanding work by our Administration that they have been so proactive in immediately signing some back up in our time of need and giving us every opportunity to win the competition.

Well done Richo and your crew.

Zigwaa

Bench
Thankyou! God knows we needed it. Solid performer and good back-up to our regular starters and injury cover.

Didn't he make the Australian train-on squad one year?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Shrewd mid season boost in stocks by Souths. You can never have too many servicable big men in my opinion.

Stapleton will plug a hole for 20-30 mins every week & can step up quite capably for a start if required.

Sugar

Bench
Shrewd mid season boost in stocks by Souths. You can never have too many servicable big men in my opinion.

Stapleton will plug a hole for 20-30 mins every week & can step up quite capably for a start if required.

A good signing due to an injury crisis.
If he does what you posted he may well play for a contract in 2011, an ageing prop can be a cornerstone of any pack and Stapleton comes with experiance. (I wish the Yak would have played on with us)
With Crosman off contract if Staplenton can outshine him he may snare his spot in the top 25 next year

Robbie 12

Juniors
No matter what happens with Craig Stapleton i think it is outstanding work by our Administration that they have been so proactive in immediately signing some back up in our time of need and giving us every opportunity to win the competition.

Well done Richo and your crew.

I agree 100% in the past we would have just done without another prop, and the team would have suffered,

but I think we have

stapleton to replace ben ross (out for another 8 weeks) and maybe

j,lowe to replace geddies..... but j'lowe has a lot of mistakes in him

The Clan

Juniors
I've seen him play for two SL clubs, Salford & Leigh, and he's been very good for both.

He does'nt want a fanfare or someone to strike him a medal, he just gets on with his hit ups and defending in a workmanlike no nonsense way.

I could imagine him being one of the most respected team mates in many dressing rooms because he's reliable and will always put his hand up when the work needs doing.

African Monkey

First Grade
I've seen him play for two SL clubs, Salford & Leigh, and he's been very good for both.

He does'nt want a fanfare or someone to strike him a medal, he just gets on with his hit ups and defending in a workmanlike no nonsense way.

I could imagine him being one of the most respected team mates in many dressing rooms because he's reliable and will always put his hand up when the work needs doing.
Yeah well said.

Latest posts