What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young - Hall of Fame

Coffs dragon

Bench
Great acceptance speech by Albert last night, also paying tribute to some great ex Saints coaches in Harry Bath & Roy Masters. Like him or loath him, Craig made an incredible contribution to the success of St. George in his career.
I still remember an interview with Wayne Bennett when he came to the Dragons, saying he did some pre-investigating on the football staff at our club.....Craig Young was top of the list and he spoke incredibly high of him. McGregor was first out the door and that certainly proved 100% correct!!!
Sure we all bag Pricey as a coach, but he was a two time winning premiership Assistant Coach and gained more success than the current egotistical peanut in charge.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Can’t deny that he was the best forward in his time. I remember one game at Kogarah, can’t remember who we played but he was bleeding like a stuffed pig but would not come off the field. He was hard as nails.

I remember a similar incident at North Sydney Oval in the mid 80s.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Great acceptance speech by Albert last night, also paying tribute to some great ex Saints coaches in Harry Bath & Roy Masters. Like him or loath him, Craig made an incredible contribution to the success of St. George in his career.
I still remember an interview with Wayne Bennett when he came to the Dragons, saying he did some pre-investigating on the football staff at our club.....Craig Young was top of the list and he spoke incredibly high of him. McGregor was first out the door and that certainly proved 100% correct!!!
Sure we all bag Pricey as a coach, but he was a two time winning premiership Assistant Coach and gained more success than the current egotistical peanut in charge.

The point apropos Bennett retaining Young in an off field role is often dismissed by Dragons’ fans.

Well said.

getsmarty

Immortal
plp_3511.jpg

HALL OF FAME

Young's Hall of Fame evening
Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:43 PM
Craig Young accepted his 2019 Hall of Fame induction in Sydney on Wednesday night

youngc-190814_gt_09.jpg

youngc-1900814_gt_222.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/14/youngs-hall-of-fame-evening/

getsmarty

Immortal
Young's Hall of Fame career that almost wasn't
Dragons Den
r0_0_8160_5342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HONOUR: Dragons great Craig Young was inducted into the NRL Hall of Fame on Wednesday night. Picture: NRL Photos

The storied career of Dragons great Craig Young is remarkable enough, even before you hear how close it was to never happening at all.

The two-time Dragons premiership-winner and 20-Test veteran's induction into the NRL's Hall of Fame was always a matter of when, not if, in the eyes of many.

It wasn't always the case, certainly not in the eyes of Young himself who had his sight set on emulating his father, and soccer international, Bob's exploits in the round-ball game.

"I didn't even consider playing rugby league as a kid, it was all soccer obviously with dad's background," Young recalls.

"I'll never forget the sports master at Corrimal High School Warwick Allen said they were having trials for the South Coast team to play in the trials for the first Australian Schoolboys side.

"He said 'I'm short a front-rower do you want to have a game?' I said 'I don't know how to play' and he just told me to have a crack and that's the way it happened.

"If it wasn't for [inaugural coach] Roy Masters and the first Australian Schoolboys concept in 1972 I wouldn't have been playing rugby league."

Few have ever picked the sport up as quickly or as well, but his move to Sydney competition from the Illawarra was also a sliding doors moment.

"I was at Thirroul and I had John McCarthy, who played for Balmain, who was great coach then I went to Corrimal and had Oscar Danielson who was a Kiwi International so I was just happy playing there," Young said.

"I got a call from Frank Facer who was the secretary of the Dragons. My father was a coalminer who new the value of a dollar and he said 'knock it back and play for Country again and get more money next year'.

"I said OK but I couldn't sleep so I rang Frank the next day, he jumped in a cab after dad went to work and came down and I signed the contract."

He was Clive Churchill Medalist in the Dragons grand final triumph that season and two years later captained the red v to another at just 23 years of age.

Read more: McGregor all for transfer window

It showed a wisdom beyond his years, but careers in the police force tend to foster that, and offer other experiences that made the footy field less daunting.

"I spent a lot of my service in the armed hold-up squad so that's certainly grounding," he said.

"But one thing [coach] Harry Bath taught me is you'e just got to get the job done, whatever it is.

"Steve Edge was captain in 77 then we had a poor start to 78. Harry came up to me at training and said 'you're captain this week', I said 'captain of what?' he said first grade and that was it."

His 20 Tests, then a gold standard, included the 1982 'Invincibles' tour, while the first ever State of Origin fixture in 1980 was another highlight in a career that naturally ended up in the game's most prestigious hall.

"It's a humbling experience, I never expected it," Young said.

"I don't think about those things, I'm more focused on tomorrow than yesterday, but it does make you reflect which is good because you start to realise what your teammates and coaches did for you.

"It's a nice thought to be put in that sort of category but it's a team sport and, while these individual accolades are nice, it's really a reflection on my teammates over a long period of time who helped me achieve what I did."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6333319/a-hall-of-fame-career-that-almost-wasnt/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Craig Young was a good captain and player for St George but I have to say that he is a very poor club administrator. He should put the club first and resign.

Gareth67

First Grade
Craig Young was a good captain and player for St George but I have to say that he is a very poor club administrator. He should put the club first and resign.

I believe that he was one of the board who went for Griffin over the other candidates , so he is not all bad .

Gareth67

First Grade

possm

Coach
I believe that he was one of the board who went for Griffin over the other candidates , so he is not all bad .
I'm pretty sure he stood aside and didn't vote. Now what's the chance he looks to slot Dean in at the next opportunity. Noses in the trough!

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm pretty sure he stood aside and didn't vote. Now what's the chance he looks to slot Dean in at the next opportunity. Noses in the trough!

Yes you are correct possum , he did stand aside in the original voting for the very reason that you have stated . However the final voting was tied , and then he was called upon in his capacity as COB to break the impasse , at least that is my recollection of the events .

He voted with the St.George side of the amalgamation , and by so doing ensured Griffin became the new Dragon coach .

Gareth67

First Grade

My mistake possum . :flushed: I have just discovered that it was a unanimous decision by the board for Griffin to become the Dragons coach .

I don’t know exactly what decision it was that Craig Young was called upon to break a vote that was tied , but it was around the same time .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Have only just now noticed Johnny King alongside the big man ( middle photo ) . Still looks fit and healthy, and has all his hair also , looks as if he could still play a few games .
I saw Ricky Walford at the Taj last Sunday. Deadset, he looked like he could pull on jersey tomorrow.