What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating an annual Pacific Cup in 2 simple steps

jim_57

Staff member
So I know the whole mid-year rep period idea has been done to death. Most people are all for more regular and meaningful games for all nations but they stumbling block seems to be NRL cooperation and just how much they'll truly "allow".

How about this for an idea for a short, sharp Pacific Cup with very little extra effort. From 2018 onwards split the Pacific Double headers in to 2 Double Headers with Polynesia & Malanesia Cup & Shield. Have the winners play post season for the Pacific Cup on the same weekend as Australia V NZ. So basically creating a meaningful Pacific program each year with minimal extra games for players.

So basically it would looks like this:

Polynesia Double Header
Cook Islands V Niue
Tonga V Samoa

Melanesia Double Header
Solomon Islands V Vanuatu
Fiji V PNG

October
Pacific Cup Final
Melanesia & Polynesia promotion/relagation games.

I'd also add in the winners of the Polynesia Cup hosting NZ & Melanesia Cup hosting Australia post season as well.

So that would be a yearly meaningful structure for Pacific Nations before the big tournaments even begin. All with few extra games and no disruption to the NRL season.

jim_57

Staff member
In theory yeh, but it'll never happen whilst there is only 1 stand alone rep weekend mid-year.

This approach is short and sharp whilst still offering plenty of reward and incentive for the Islands & their players. Something the clubs would go with originally then can be built from there.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough. If the NRL wants the game to actually grow though, they need to make some changes to the too-long club season.

siv

First Grade
We already have 2 bye weekends and 1 rep weekend

Not hard to change to 3 or 4 rep weekends

paulmac

Juniors
I posted this exact format about a year ago.Easy to introduce and gives Cook Is,Vanuatu etc something to aspire to.Could also double as RLWC qualifiers in years before a World Cup

siv

First Grade
Assuming we had 6Nations at year end with the Top 2 Pacific Nations

I would like to see a 6 team Pacific Shield in Oct-Nov - Tonga, Cook Is, PNG, Niue, Vanuatu, Solomon Is

Where the winner joins a 4N Pacific Cup during SOO eg NZ, Samoa, Fiji plus winner

A promotion relegation approach annually

jim_57

Staff member
I posted this exact format about a year ago.Easy to introduce and gives Cook Is,Vanuatu etc something to aspire to.Could also double as RLWC qualifiers in years before a World Cup

Great minds..

It's an easy transition from Pacific Double headers to an actual Pacific Cup in just a few added games.

I think the incentive of giving the winner of each Polynesia & Melanesia cups a right to host Aus/NZ would be huge for RL as well.

Latest posts