What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

TheParraboy

Staff member
he gets sacked if he doesn't tamper the wicket as well

hope our curators get sacked as well if they make roads instead of bouncy decks for India next summer

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/47843...e-after-defending-them-from-homophobic-thugs/

Ben Stokes a hero

Billy and Kai are 'so grateful' to Ben Stokes and have labelled him their 'hero' after he saved them by taking on homophobic bullies in late-night brawl

Their claims could lead to the all-rounder being cleared over the punch-up and freed to play in the First Test in Australia next month.

Billy told The Sun: “We were so grateful to Ben for stepping in to help. He was a real hero.

“Kai feared he could be attacked. If Ben hadn’t intervened it could have been a lot worse for us.”

Kai added: “I’m not a fighter and we didn’t want a fight. We could’ve been in real trouble. Ben was a real gentleman.”

nintchdbpict000362513543.jpg

Timbo

Staff member
There is so much here that looks wrong. Mainly though - why did they wait for so long to come forward?

TheParraboy

Staff member
shut the f**k up Candice

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/272552e219adac0f7b150df4e596e282

Mrs Warner said: “I know the Australian players would love to have Stokes out here because they want to play against the best, but I don’t think he can come, I really don’t.

“That footage is disgusting, it is really, really bad.”

Warner loves nothing more than ramping up the rhetoric and has said he wants to feel “hatred” towards his Ashes opponents.

Next came a personal message for Root when he insisted: “We’ll be testing him as much as we can. When he’s batting, we’ll try to get under his skin in the field.”

Captain Root dismissed Warner’s war analogy as “extreme” but he is no shrinking violet himself when it comes to words.

He added: “I’m looking forward to it. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of banter flying around on and off the field. It’s something you have to relish and be able at the end of your career to look back and say, ‘I gave it my best shot and I enjoyed it’.

In 2013, Warner was fined $11,500, missed the remainder of that summer’s Champions Trophy and the first two Ashes Tests after taking a swing at Root in the Walkabout bar in Birmingham.

He connected with a glancing blow.

There was no police involvement in the incident.

Mrs Warner added: “David wasn’t charged when he hit Joe Root — he was banned for two games. Why wouldn’t Ben Stokes get reprimanded? This is a lot worse, this is way worse.”

Ben Horne reported in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday that despite the serious allegations levelled against Stokes, he remains a man teammates want in their side.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of it I just hope at some point he can get out here,” said No. 3 batsman James Vince.

“Of course (we want him here). He’s one of the best players in the side. If we get him then great but if we don’t then hopefully we’ve got a side that can cope with the Aussies.
“There’s always an edge of psychological banter in Ashes cricket. Once you’ve played in a few, you know what to expect.”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I been saying this for years and completely agree with this.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...e/news-story/fbedf42c0dd3b889b1cd3f55de59d503

The problem with Australian cricket: former players predict major decline
AUSTRALIA

• November 1, 2017 1:06pm
  • by JOE BARTON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
CRICKET Australia has come under fire from former players who claim the domestic game has been eroded - and a drastic impact is about to be felt across the country and on the international team.
Former Test spinner Gavin Robertson played four Tests four Australia during the glory days in the 1990s and enjoyed a successful 13-year first class career with NSW, taking 127 wickets.

Robertson and fellow former Australian international, and FoxSports.com.au columnist Brett Geeves, fear the game in Australia is facing a crisis that could hit within two years unless action is taken.

The process of selecting all teams - national, state and even at grade and junior cricket - and a perceived hit to the competitiveness of the Sheffield Shield are causing particular concern.

Speaking on Fox Sports’ Bill and Boz on Tuesday, Robertson said the issues filtered all the way down to grade and junior cricket and predicted a collapse along the lines of the fall of that which has nearly destroyed West Indian cricket.

From the highs of great teams in the 1970s and 80s — where star-studded teams dominated world cricket thanks to production line of mesmerising fast bowlers and destructive batsmen — the West Indies plummeted to the depths of ICC rankings with a struggling team and a dysfunctional board.

It seems far-fetched to envisage a scenario in which a similar fate could befall Australia, but the same was said of the West Indies.

“We’ve got problems that you would not believe — and no one is going to tell you,” Robertson said.

“The people sitting in the ivory tower at Cricket Australia — it will be your legacy when it falls. It sits on you, because you tell us you know everything and we know nothing.

“…All we ever hear about is how great we’re going financially and everything but I think we are waiting to fall in way that we could never imagine.

“We used to talk about the Windies and how (they) could never go to where they’re going, and talked about how weak — at times — England were in how their county cricket.

“But we lived off the back of how strong our Shield competition was — which was war.

“And it fostered us for 20 years of success, yet now — we’re a good team, but that’s it. We’re not a great team.”

Taking particular aim at Cricket Australia high performance manager Pat Howard, Robertson said there was “a truckload” of former players concerned with the direction of the game.

“And they are worried,” he said.

“It’s dangerous. We’re on a tightrope over the next two-to-four years.

“...My point to Pat Howard [is], could you be wrong? And if you’re wrong, it’ll be a legacy that you will not be able to wipe off your CV.”

As recently as August, national coach Darren Lehmann called on all past and present players to chip in and help Australia return to the top of world cricket while also addressing some of the more prominent concerns — such as bowling loads.

Lehmann penned a letter to everyone who had represented Australia and urged those with ideas to come to him with advice on how to fix problems.

“We as support staff are always looking for ways to improve and welcome any advice from you, so if you have any ideas however ‘out there’ they might be, please reply below,” Lehmann wrote.

“Your advice is always helpful. After all, we as players both past and present don’t have all the answers and as support staff we are always looking for the best way to drive us forward in the game.”

Citing examples in grade cricket, Robertson said state programs had too much influence over the availability of rising young talents — a problem which was dictated by decisions on player workload higher up the food chain.

“Under 19 and under 17 cricketers, who were our stars, the guys coming up — they are your biggest weakness in a grade cricket club because right now you don’t even know if they can play next weekend,” Robertson said.

“You’re waiting for the state physio to say ‘nope, he’s out’ on Thursday night or Friday night (and) you’ve got to find five more cricketers within a night.

“(And) you know why? Because they’ve got to wait for another week before they can bowl another eight overs, or another six overs.”

Bowling workloads has been a key focus of managing Australia’s legion of fast bowlers under the reign of Howard, with the aim to reduce the number of long-term injuries which had previously cruelled the likes of young-talents-turned-Test-stars Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood.

“All I hear about bowling loads is that it fixes bowlers,” Robertson continued.

“And all I see is bowlers having operations and time off and hot spots. Seriously, it is way out of control and the public don’t know.”

Former Tasmanian quick Geeves has been an outspoken cricket of selection policies in state and national teams.

Geeves threw his support behind Robertson’s argument, arguing that the Shield competition was being diluted through the exclusion of veteran talents such as NSW’s former Test opener Ed Cowan and former Western Australian captain Michael Klinger.

Players are being “selected on a whim”, Geeves said, and it was being felt in the wins and losses columns.

“It starts to dilute Shield cricket to the point where we’ve got kids playing kids and then when they take the next step, the gap is too far,” Geeves told Bill and Boz.

“The gap between Shield cricket and international representation now is absolutely massive.

“Guys are going up, and they’re failing. They’re being selected on a whim, selected on a captain’s call. Across the board we’re just not picking our best teams and it’s disastrous for all forms stemming down to grade and junior cricket.”

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cricket Australia talk about bowling loads and then have Pat Cummins, the guy with a history of injury, tour India for a nothing odi tournament.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
And as for this new directive of leaving 'old guys' out so they can have a look at younger players, this has got to be the biggest joke that the joker Howard has ever pulled.
First of all you have to earn your spot by supplanting those that are in the team by scoring so many runs or taking so many wickets you have to be picked, not just waltz into a team because you might have potential.

Secondly, if you're not playing with the seasoned pros how the f**k can you test yourself or learn?

I doubt we'll ever get to Windies lows but if we keep going as we are we are a serious chance of becoming another New Zealand

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The players play less but are injured more, lets wrap them up in even more in cotton wool.

But these sports science geeks now more than blokes who played the game for well over a decade.

Timbo

Staff member
Geeves points about whims and captains calls is bang on.

Runs and wickets should be the only determining factor. Not 'I think this bloke has potential to one day maybe play a test match'.

Bazal

Post Whore
Geeves points about whims and captains calls is bang on.

Runs and wickets should be the only determining factor. Not 'I think this bloke has potential to one day maybe play a test match'.

Captains call should be respected but only matter when two players are very close to each other on form and stats.

Eg two batsmen average fifty, one is a left hander and one a right hander and the skipper feels he wants a lefty. Or maybe one is a slipper and the other more comfortable at mid off so he goes for the slips fielder. That's captains call to me, not "I want this bloke even though he averages fifteen less than the other guy"

Timbo

Staff member
Captains call should be respected but only matter when two players are very close to each other on form and stats.

Eg two batsmen average fifty, one is a left hander and one a right hander and the skipper feels he wants a lefty. Or maybe one is a slipper and the other more comfortable at mid off so he goes for the slips fielder. That's captains call to me, not "I want this bloke even though he averages fifteen less than the other guy"

'Kevin Pietersen has a weakness against left arm orthodox spin'

:rolleyes:

Bazal

Post Whore
'Kevin Pietersen has a weakness against left arm orthodox spin'

:rolleyes:

Haha.

In fairness that might have turned out differently had the merkins picked the bloke who got him out twice in the tour match....

Incorrect

Coach
I read further evidence of just how compromised Shield cricket has become in The Tonk in the SMH. Tasmania are apparently keen to give Tim Paine the gloves and take over from Matty "Woops, I dropped another one" Wade but are prepared to wait until after the 3rd Shield match of the season when the 1st Test team is announced - ie they are willing to let that mong keep wicket even if it isn't in their own teams best interests just in case Wade can somehow keep his spot in the Test team and don't want to jeopardise that by promoting someone better than him in their State squad!!!

Utter Madness! Who is more stupid - Cricket Tasmania for even letting this absurd situation to eventuate or the Australian selectors for even having Wade in calculations for the Ashes squad when he is clearly not up to it which begets the Cricket Tassie decision in the first place??!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I read further evidence of just how compromised Shield cricket has become in The Tonk in the SMH. Tasmania are apparently keen to give Tim Paine the gloves and take over from Matty "Woops, I dropped another one" Wade but are prepared to wait until after the 3rd Shield match of the season when the 1st Test team is announced - ie they are willing to let that mong keep wicket even if it isn't in their own teams best interests just in case Wade can somehow keep his spot in the Test team and don't want to jeopardise that by promoting someone better than him in their State squad!!!

Utter Madness! Who is more stupid - Cricket Tasmania for even letting this absurd situation to eventuate or the Australian selectors for even having Wade in calculations for the Ashes squad when he is clearly not up to it which begets the Cricket Tassie decision in the first place??!!
It just sums up how clueless CA and the people in charge of running the game actually are.

Honestly it’s impossible for them to get any more stupid but they somehow find a way.

Timbo

Staff member
Why are they so f**king desperate to keep this gimp in the test team?

It boggles the f**king mind. He has shown nothing - literally nothing - with either bat or gloves and they're just ramming it home. Pick Nevill or Paine or even Jimmy f**king Pierson because here's the thing: it is literally impossible for anyone to be worse than him.

Latest posts