What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think he played one more test in Australia, 98 against South Africa. Our bowling attack was virtually McGrath, Reiffel and Warne, Bevan, the Waugh twins and Blewett were bowling options, but weren't required as Warne cleaned up South Africa.

Bevan from memory took a couple of wickets, didn't get a good score batting.

undertaker

Coach
From memory it was the 1997 Ashes series in England where his test career was virtually killed

Yep, it was against the Poms that Bevan's test career died in a sea of red ink.

http://howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOpponents.asp?PlayerID=2002

He was brought into the test side in 1994 to strengthen the middle order after Allan Border retired.
Scored runs against quality bowlers, such as Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis in 1994, and against Ambrose and Walsh in 1996/97.

However, England was his achilles' heel and he was subsequently dropped half-way through both 1994/95 and 1997 Ashes series. After the 1997 Ashes, his weakness against the short ball became etched in the minds of the selectors and with the exception of one more test (vs South Africa, where he was chosen as a second spinner on an SCG pitch that was favorable to spin bowling throughout the entire summer. I remember Mark Waugh was an opening bowler in a couple of ODIs there and got good turn for a part-time bowler), despite piling on thousands of Sheffield Shield runs, he never got another opportunity.

A shame Bevo only got to play 18 test matches. Like many other batsmen during his era that got limited opportunities (e.g. Law, Lehmann, Love, Hodge), I have no doubt Bevo would've played 100+ tests had he been born 10 years later and got to play on the more batter-friendly tracks and shorter boundaries that exist today compared to 1994-98.

Also, his left-arm chinaman bowling was useful, helping Australia to win their first home test series vs West Indies in 20 years when he took 10 wickets at Adelaide.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Zampa joins the blues

https://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/adam-zampa-joins-the-nsw-blues/2020-06-14

ZAMPA-WEBSITE.ashx

Australian One-Day and T20 leg-spinner Adam Zampa has returned to the NSW Blues after seven seasons with South Australia.

Zampa, who grew up playing cricket on the NSW South Coast, has taken 108 International wickets for Australia across 55 One-Day Internationals and 30 T20 matches.

“The prospect of moving back home and being able to play for the state I started with and where I played my junior cricket means a lot to me,” said the 28-year-old.

“I’m looking forward to testing myself in Shield cricket with a team of this calibre and I’m hoping to get the opportunity of playing with Nathan Lyon down the track.

“My partner Harriet and I will be able to spend a lot more time with both our families.”

Zampa made his First Class debut for the Blues in November 2012, playing three Sheffield Shield matches and four One-Day List A fixtures for NSW before he moved to South Australia.

The leg-spinner claimed 95 Sheffield Shield and 51 One-Day wickets for the Redbacks.

“The thing I’m looking forward to the most is playing with some guys that I was really close with when I was a rookie at NSW. The likes of Sean Abbott, Dan Hughes and Harry Conway,” Zampa said.

He believes his competitive nature suits the Blues culture.

“I love pushing guys around me to get better and I think NSW cricket teams have always been a great environment for this,” Zampa said.

His arrival was welcomed by Blues coach Phil Jaques.

“I’m really excited to have Adam back home in NSW," Jaques said.

"Adam brings a wealth of experience and knowledge and he will be a great addition to our team. He is a world class performer and I’m personally excited to be working with him and welcome him into our group”.

Zampa is one of seven Blues contracted with Cricket Australia joining Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc and David Warner.

Zampa remains contracted with the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League.

Who else remembers the shows that Channel 9 used to show during the lunch break back in the great 80’s?

Before the days of the cricket show.

I remember these.. others?

Ten Pin Bowling
Indoor Cricket Championships
An American show called “Thrillseekers”.

Might be different depending on where you were from, this was out of Sydney for me.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Who else remembers the shows that Channel 9 used to show during the lunch break back in the great 80’s?

Before the days of the cricket show.

I remember these.. others?

Ten Pin Bowling
Indoor Cricket Championships
An American show called “Thrillseekers”.

Might be different depending on where you were from, this was out of Sydney for me.
I remember one year where they had celebrities facing deliveries from Warne and Lee.

I found that pretty cool

I remember one year where they had celebrities facing deliveries from Warne and Lee.

I found that pretty cool

I meant before that era of the Cricket Show... other shows in the luncheon interval that CH9 would put on.. I think the Cricket Show came in around the mid-late 90's?? Could be later though.

Incorrect

Coach
I meant before that era of the Cricket Show... other shows in the luncheon interval that CH9 would put on.. I think the Cricket Show came in around the mid-late 90's?? Could be later though.
Not a lunch break show but I remember sitting through the show "Animals Animals Animals" in the 20 minutes before the channel 9 coverage would start. If play was due to commence at say 11am, that show would fill the 20 minute gap from 10:30 to 10:50 and then 9 would have their 10 minute toss and teams bit before play started.... That 20 minutes from 10:30-10:50 used to feel like an eternity

Maxi yachts at lunch right thru the 90s until The Cricket Show took its spot. They’d come back and Richie would give Sheffield Shield scores before getting back in to the test.

For some reason Brindabella sticks in my memory whenever lunch is taken.

Not a lunch break show but I remember sitting through the show "Animals Animals Animals" in the 20 minutes before the channel 9 coverage would start. If play was due to commence at say 11am, that show would fill the 20 minute gap from 10:30 to 10:50 and then 9 would have their 10 minute toss and teams bit before play started.... That 20 minutes from 10:30-10:50 used to feel like an eternity

hahaha yes! I remember this show.

didnt it also have some woman who used to get on the guitar and start singing about a hippo etc?