What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket on WII

Stiffi

Juniors
Does anyone know if there is a cricket game on WII or if they intend to bring one out?

Cheers,

willvillain

Juniors
Yeah, no game as yet.

There was a website set up last year (wiiwantcricket.com or something) but that never got off the ground and when i tried to find it the other day it no longer existed.

It would no doubt go down as my favourite game of all time, but I can never see it getting made unfortunately.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Would totally own if it did.
Imagine bowling leg spin, off spin, and fast actions, and playing all the strokes as you would on the pitch?

PJ

First Grade
Just got one last Thursday and love it.

even the wife gets into it and she hates any sort of electronic game.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Bumble said:
Don't be silly, there's a million great games out there for Wii.

Yeah like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime: Corruption and.......

Well, Super Mario Galaxy is just so good that only having two good games definitely makes it a fantastic purchase. Oh, and Wii Sports too.

:roll:

Don't buy a Wii, it's a trap. There simply are no games worth buying on it and all the good games these days are too advanced graphically for the Wii to handle. Plus Nintendo love to screw over Europe/Australia with massive delays, we had to wait months after America for Metroid and even longer for Paper Mario, about half a year for that one.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I don't know about that. I am really enjoying it. Even remade games like Rockstar table tennis take on a new level when you have to swing the wii remote. Once you get into the game a bit, a 1 hour session can become pretty taxing if you are like me and like to stand up and play.

But even other games like Zack and Wiki are heaps of fun when you don't want to exert yourself.

Definately something to buy, especially when you want the missus to play as well. My missus loves it, and she would never play my xbox.

Bumble

First Grade
Dogs Of War said:
I don't know about that. I am really enjoying it. Even remade games like Rockstar table tennis take on a new level when you have to swing the wii remote. Once you get into the game a bit, a 1 hour session can become pretty taxing if you are like me and like to stand up and play.

But even other games like Zack and Wiki are heaps of fun when you don't want to exert yourself.

Definately something to buy, especially when you want the missus to play as well. My missus loves it, and she would never play my xbox.

I wouldn't bother. PS3 fanboy to the max, can't handle the fact that millions of people are buying a "kiddy console with no games" :lol:

Frederick

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
There simply are no games worth buying on it and all the good games these days are too advanced graphically for the Wii to handle.
I still don't see how outstanding graphics instantly make a game better :?

Sure, it looks better on the eye, but how does better graphics mean better storyline, gameplay etc?

Also, the graphics in Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime look just fine to me. They certainly don't detract from them being great games, and in the case of Galaxy, the second best game of all time based on reviews (second only to Zelda Ocarina of Time, another Nintendo product...)

MC DUI

Juniors
Developers are too busy shoveling PS2 ports and movie/kids toy based games onto the Wii to bother developing something decent like a Cricket game.

I agree a Cricket game on the Wii would be great, I would buy it for sure.

perverse

Referee
wow... i don't know why i haven't thought of this before. cricket on the wii would be nothing short of orgasmic.

if EA still own the licensing for the ICC etc then i can't see why they wouldn't make a cricket game for wii at some stage. they've already cashed in on soccer and gridiron for the wii. with a good chance of excellent sales in australia, nz, india and GB i would think there is plenty of profit to be made.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The WII is made for sports like cricket, tennis and golf.

They could even have a strap that simulates the front pad. But the WII's graphics would make it like a crappy shareware PC cricket/tennis game with the oversized heads and the illogical characters.

Dogs Of War

Coach
What did you get heaps of that on the PS2 and Xbox? Considering that Wii is a lot more powerful than them?

Wii does just fine in the graphics compartment, and I love the fact that Nintendo put gameplay above just offering the same crap with better graphics this time around.

MC DUI

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
What did you get heaps of that on the PS2 and Xbox? Considering that Wii is a lot more powerful than them?

Wii does just fine in the graphics compartment, and I love the fact that Nintendo put gameplay above just offering the same crap with better graphics this time around.

Not to start something but how are Nintendo not just offering the same thing again...

The best games for the system are Super Mario Galaxy, Metriod 3, Zelda TP, Mario Strikers, and coming up Super Smash Bros and Mairo Kart.

All those games have older versions on the last gen Nintendo system, the newer versions don't exactly add that much through their use of the wiimote...

perverse

Referee
MC DUI said:
Not to start something but how are Nintendo not just offering the same thing again...

The best games for the system are Super Mario Galaxy, Metriod 3, Zelda TP, Mario Strikers, and coming up Super Smash Bros and Mairo Kart.

All those games have older versions on the last gen Nintendo system, the newer versions don't exactly add that much through their use of the wiimote...
have you even played them? someone who had played metroid prime 3 at ALL.. or someone who spent hours fishing in zelda... or even played mario strikers would hardly say that the wiimote doesnt add much... it certainly adds more to gaming than any title i can think of on the rival consoles.

you also obviously haven't played the trauma center games (which wouldnt even be possible on another console).. or excite truck.. or no more heroes.. or rockstars table tennis.. hell they even added a few small features to GH3 through the use of the wiimote.

you say the newer versions of the nintendo 1st/2nd party games don't add much through the use of the wiimote.. well i would counter argue that it adds a LOT more to the games than some extra bling in the graphics department.
Dogs Of War said:

indeed.

MC DUI

Juniors
I'm not necessarily agreeing on the whole better graphics = better game argument. I don't really agree with that I'm just talking about the 'better gameplay' on the Wii.

Have I played those games, yes I have, better than that I own most of them! Keep in mind that the below comments are all IMO, plenty may enjoy the wiimote 'additions' to the gameplay.

Aiming in Metriod was hardly revolutionary stuff, fishing in Zelda = who cares?, Mario Strikers has waggle for tackling and motion blocking for mega-stike goals...big whoop.
The blocking of goals in Mario Strikers isn't fun at all, the game would be more fun with that part of the gameplay removed, it's like they added it just to cater for the wiimote functionality.
Excite truck wasn't that fun and would be easy do-able on another console using the joystick as a control, Rockstar table tennis was already on 360 and fine without remote controls.
I'll give you Trauma Centre, that wouldn't be any fun without the wiimote, but I've already played it on the DS and it could easily be done on the PC with mouse controls.
No More Heroes is one that I've yet to play.

Seriously heaps of people want to tell me how revolutionary the Wii is, but IMO it just isn't. All the really popular games on the system don't really need the wiimote controls, it's very gimmicky IMO.

perverse

Referee
MC DUI said:
I'm not necessarily agreeing on the whole better graphics = better game argument. I don't really agree with that I'm just talking about the 'better gameplay' on the Wii.

Have I played those games, yes I have, better than that I own most of them! Keep in mind that the below comments are all IMO, plenty may enjoy the wiimote 'additions' to the gameplay.

Aiming in Metriod was hardly revolutionary stuff, fishing in Zelda = who cares?, Mario Strikers has waggle for tackling and motion blocking for mega-stike goals...big whoop.
The blocking of goals in Mario Strikers isn't fun at all, the game would be more fun with that part of the gameplay removed, it's like they added it just to cater for the wiimote functionality.
Excite truck wasn't that fun and would be easy do-able on another console using the joystick as a control, Rockstar table tennis was already on 360 and fine without remote controls.
I'll give you Trauma Centre, that wouldn't be any fun without the wiimote, but I've already played it on the DS and it could easily be done on the PC with mouse controls.
No More Heroes is one that I've yet to play.

Seriously heaps of people want to tell me how revolutionary the Wii is, but IMO it just isn't. All the really popular games on the system don't really need the wiimote controls, it's very gimmicky IMO.
i see what you mean, and i didn't really mean to be arguementative in my previous post. it really seems as though it's all up to personal preference. i think even small amounts of waggle in certain wii games have added freshness to the same tried and true forumlae of previous generations of games. i agree with you that some of the aforementioned games can be done without the wiimote, however i really believe that it enhances the gameplay and immersion.

by and large though, game developers are truly to blame for the lack of innovative titles available on the wii. nintendo have made the toolset and illustrated how it can be utilized at all levels, from totally reliant on the wiimote - wii sports, to simple waggle/angles i.e excite truck etc. it is still a relatively new and foreign concept for game developers.. and i don't think we will see the true potential of the technology for another year or so at least.

i strongly suggest you visit http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Ejohnny/projects/wii/ and see for yourself what a single innovative azn dude has been able to do with the tech present in the wiimote. watch all 3 videos. the onus is on the game developers to utilize the toolset.

MC DUI

Juniors
perverse said:
i see what you mean, and i didn't really mean to be arguementative in my previous post. it really seems as though it's all up to personal preference. i think even small amounts of waggle in certain wii games have added freshness to the same tried and true forumlae of previous generations of games. i agree with you that some of the aforementioned games can be done without the wiimote, however i really believe that it enhances the gameplay and immersion.

by and large though, game developers are truly to blame for the lack of innovative titles available on the wii. nintendo have made the toolset and illustrated how it can be utilized at all levels, from totally reliant on the wiimote - wii sports, to simple waggle/angles i.e excite truck etc. it is still a relatively new and foreign concept for game developers.. and i don't think we will see the true potential of the technology for another year or so at least.

i strongly suggest you visit http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Ejohnny/projects/wii/ and see for yourself what a single innovative azn dude has been able to do with the tech present in the wiimote. watch all 3 videos. the onus is on the game developers to utilize the toolset.

I totally agree with you that there is potential (hence why I stated that I think a well done cricket game on the Wii would be great!), and that it's the developers/Nintendo's fault for the lack of innovative titles.

The problem is there is no incentive for developers/Nintendo to develop innovative games as 3/4 of the millions of people who bought the Wii are more than happy to buy the piece of crap PS2 shovelware and movie/toy tie-in games that developers can make for next to nothing.

I blame the millions of ignorant parents out there who bought the Wii for little Timmy just because that's what everybody wanted for Christmas, now they buy the afformentioned piece of crap games for little Timmy because they have no idea what games are worth spending money on. They would have been better off giving their Kids a cheap-arse PS2 and then the flood of crap games on the Wii wouldn't be occuring.