What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croker Signs With Catalans

Lime_Green

Juniors
Catalans sign Raiders star Croker

Catalans Dragons have signed Canberra Raiders star and former Australia international Jason Croker on a two-year deal.

The 33-year-old utility player will join the Dragons next season and take the overseas quota space of the departing Ian Hindmarsh.

"This is an excellent signing for us," said Dragons coach Mick Potter.

"Jason is a real professional both on and off the field and he has shown this during his negotiations with the club."

Croker holds the Raiders records for most tries with 120 and appearances with 314.

Potter added: "He is an extremely consistent player who knows the rigours of hard rugby league week-in, week-out.

"His current coach Matthew Elliot rates him as being in the top three performers for the Raiders every week.

"He is a very determined person who wants to do his best every time he steps onto the field and I think he will be great for us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/catalan/4781321.stm

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I feel quite emotional about this. I've been watching him run round since he was a 17 year old winger.

Best of luck to you, Jason.

aussies1st

Staff member
Sad to see him go but at this age probably the wise move to get as much money as you can before you quit the game.

dubby

Bench
aussies1st said:
Sad to see him go but at this age probably the wise move to get as much money as you can before you quit the game.

What? He is amongst our highest paid now at over $300k per year, I bet this is more about experiencing a new culture and the chance to play in the ESL than a $$ based incentive.

This is a sad day. Toots is our last link to the glory years of the early 90s. A magnificent clubman and a great player. Only now I realise how much I wanted him to stay. :(

All the best Toots. Give'em hell in the ESL.

sydraider

First Grade
Have to bust my proverbials to get to the storm game, its the closing of a major chapter in this fine clubs history.

woodgers

Bench
You can't ask for more than he has given the club so he will be sorely missed.

You guys are right though, it is sad to see the end of an era.

I wish him the best of luck but feel that in 2 years he will be back at the Raiders in some capacity. He'll always be around the Canberra region I feel and look forward to seeing him at Raiders events.

Cheers Toots

Chachi

Bench
Thanks for the memories Toots. This is certainly the end of an era for the Raiders. I hope we can now kick on and send you off with the finals appearance you certainly deserve.

This announcement was not unexpected and I think it's a good time for him to move on and experience something new in the ESL.

It certainly makes for a great last home game against the Storm. I just hope we can roll the Tigers and position ourselves well for a huge home crowd. I'm just about to leave for two weeks holiday in WA this afternoon (strategically placed around the bye!) but I made sure I'm getting back before the big game to see the great man off. Don't let me down big fella!

thickos

First Grade
Ah damn, what disappointing news for the Raiders. I'm happy for Jason, I'm sure he will do very well out of this deal and deserves to get one final paypacket out of his career.

He has been the most amazing clubman, one of the most versatile players I have ever seen and the rock we base our defence around. He's an inspiration and he will be missed.

And so they're all gone.... :(

hrundi99

First Grade
I'd assume that with the death of his Father that he's looking for a bit of a "seachange".

Good luck Toots. The Hrundi family will miss you very much...

woodgers

Bench
SOULS 04 said:
will be sorely missed.

One Jason Croker.
There's only one Jaosn Croker

Yep Souls, certainly a unique name and probably the reason there is only one Jaosn Croker :D

Bay56

First Grade
The last of the 1994 GF team to leave our shores. :(

Best of luck Toots ... they dont make them like you anymore ... nowadays it's all about the big quid and not fufilling the intent of a contract ... I dont think there will be another to break your record.

I'm an extremely proud Raiders and football supporter and feel privileged to have seen him grace the Bruce Stadium turf.

Has the same initials as another great man in history.

What's that in my eye.

dolphinboy

Juniors
Geez Louise

A Raiders team list without J.Croker

Today I feel sad and old

Good luck and thanks for the memories Toots you legend

Thanks for the memories toots, one of the all time greatest Raiders.

IMO probably in the top 5 defenders in Rugby league history.

Best of luck mate