What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croker's future decided by end of the week

thickos

First Grade
As Croker considers Canberra connection, Titans try to tempt Smith away
Chris Wilson
Wednesday, 26 July 2006

The Raiders' longest serving player Jason Croker will tell the club by the end of this week whether he intends to remain in Canberra next year. The Raiders will meet with Croker tomorrow to outline plans for job training and helping find him work after his football career is over.
It is the same offer the Raiders made to captain Clinton Schifcofske. He turned it down in favour of joining the Queensland Reds in 2007.
Croker, 33, has an option in his contract to play another season with the Raiders but he has been exploring opportunities in the British Super League.
Croker has played 312 first grade games and is the seventh most capped player in Australian rugby league premiership history. Only one player has played more games for one club, Cronulla's Andrew Ettinghausen with 328 matches.
"At the end of the day he doesn't have to give us an answer yet but I think he wants to clear it up," Raiders general manager Don Furner said.
"He's the one who said he'd give us an answer, we haven't put pressure on him to do that."
The Raiders have re-signed lower grade players Bronx Goodwin (two years), Jack Pearson (two years) and Steve McLean (one year).
But they are yet to attract any major recruits to the club for next season.
St George Illawarra Dragons winger Colin Best is the only player with NRL experience who has been added to the 2007 Raiders squad.
Furner said the club would not be pressured into signing players. He said the club was comfortable waiting until the NRL salary cap audit in October, when other clubs may be forced to offload players before the 2007 season.
Meanwhile, the Gold Coast Titans will try to lure Raiders veteran Jason Smith to the club by emphasising location and corporate opportunities after football.
Smith's manager Sam Ayoub will meet with Titans management in Sydney today. Smith may also be at the meeting, with the Raiders given a day off from training.
The Titans and North Queensland Cowboys have made offers to Smith, while the Sydney Roosters have been linked with the play-maker.
Ayoub said the initial offer from the Titans had fallen short of expectations.
The Titans only have two spots left on their roster and managing director Michael Searle said the club was keen to attract Smith for the foundation season.
Smith, 34, plans to retire from football on land at Billinudgel, 40 minutes south of the Gold Coast.
"The head coach [John Cartwright] and I both agree that Jason is potentially one of the last great ball players, he's got incredible ball skills," Searle said. "We look to play him in the backrow, possibly at lock, and as a back-up to our halves.
"His age is irrelevant because we're looking at him for his skills. He's like a Wally Lewis in that sense, his mind is sharp and his fitness levels are still exceptional."
Ayoub said Smith deserved to be rewarded as a leading player, but he said the Gold Coast location could be an incentive for Smith.
"If he's going to go around again he wants to be rewarded for his efforts and influence," Ayoub said.
"At the moment his influence on games is as good if not superior to most players in the game. You only have to see the results in Canberra and his influence on the team.
"There is no doubt in my mind that he will play next year."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...ry_id=497221&category=rugby league&m=7&y=2006

hrundi99

First Grade
Curious about the salary cap audit.

Also, I just can't see Jason Smith sitting comfortably in the "corporate" world.

dubby

Bench
LOL at Smiths "fitness".

The guy couldn't play lock or backrow; too many Winny Reds have seen to that...

Mal Meninga

Bench
thickos said:
Furner said the club would not be pressured into signing players. He said the club was comfortable waiting until the NRL salary cap audit in October, when other clubs may be forced to offload players before the 2007 season.
But aren't we using the rest of our cap on 4 PL players?

woodgers

Bench
Mal Meninga said:
But aren't we using the rest of our cap on 4 PL players?

Yeah, well even with the issue that we are constantly told we are up to the cap limit aside, that was yet another disturbing comment. In effect our recruitment tactic is to wait until other clubs stuff up and see who is their most expendable player to offload, then try to get them if we desire. It could well produce a decent player but in most cases it will be a borderline PL player/s who gets the chop form their club. You never know though, Tilse was one that was kind of in that catergory of player and he is working out. Still....not the best kind of strategy to recruit quality players is it?

skeepe

Immortal
woodgers said:
Yeah, well even with the issue that we are constantly told we are up to the cap limit aside, that was yet another disturbing comment. In effect our recruitment tactic is to wait until other clubs stuff up and see who is their most expendable player to offload, then try to get them if we desire. It could well produce a decent player but in most cases it will be a borderline PL player/s who gets the chop form their club. You never know though, Tilse was one that was kind of in that catergory of player and he is working out. Still....not the best kind of strategy to recruit quality players is it?

In my opinion, it would be more of a "there's nobody we want on the market and we're not going to just sign someone for the hell of it" strategy.

Makes sense to me if that is the case.

woodgers

Bench
I see your point Skeepe and I have been saying the club should keep their money rather than spend for the sake of it. Here is the actual comment though which could possibly be interpreted as the Raiders hanging around until someone stuffs up, that was how I read it anyway.

I reckon it is simply best not to make a comment like that even if that is your plan. It can be interpreted a number of ways but I would imagine most outsiders reading that would sense a desperate club.

paulquinn49

Bench
Well werent we linked to Kite because Manly were going to offload him? Maybe thats what he was referring to?

dubby

Bench
I expect Kite to be released. He would be a great addition to the pack, and give us added depth.
I had a conversation with someone at the club and they fully expected Brent Kite to come home to the ACT (Queenbeyan). Mind you, this is the same guy who was confident of us signing a SOO rep, and someone else from the Cows.

The reason Kite chose Manly over the Raiders initially was because Manly had $100k left under the cap and gave it to him on top or his contract (you cant do that anymore).

Kite has purchased a home in Queenbeyan and wants to return home to his family.

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
I see your point Skeepe and I have been saying the club should keep their money rather than spend for the sake of it. Here is the actual comment though which could possibly be interpreted as the Raiders hanging around until someone stuffs up, that was how I read it anyway.

I reckon it is simply best not to make a comment like that even if that is your plan. It can be interpreted a number of ways but I would imagine most outsiders reading that would sense a desperate club.

I don't think it means that at all. I just think it means we're happy where we are, but if somebody pops out that is worthwhile and would be willing to sign, then why not?

Mal Meninga

Bench
What's the NRL minimum?
With 400k left in the cap, give 4 players hopefully the minimum, do we have any left over to sign a decent player? Taking into account the overs management gives...