What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronks comment on training

T.S Quint

Coach
All of the difficult to referee aspects of the game have their roots in what is happening at these training sessions.
The ruck/gang tackles
Decoys/obstruction
Strips

Going back to a 5 metre rule (or some other variation of the “neutral zone” rule) would f**k Bellamy. He would quit.

You want to have more attack and your solution is to reduce the neutral zone to 5 metres?

You’re taking the piss, right?

sempmrh

Juniors
Storm and Roosters are ranked 1 and 2 when it comes to most tries, goals and points scored and the most line breaks. But okay.

T-Boon

Coach
You want to have more attack and your solution is to reduce the neutral zone to 5 metres?

You’re taking the piss, right?

Yes.
The problem is the way teams play when they have the ball. It looks like they dont work on it much (see Cronks comments which confirm this). The reason is that they can just take 5 easy hit ups for 50 metres and play safe and try to score from kicks.
That makes for very boring attack.
Going to 5 metres would mean hit ups get you nowhere, teams would need to bring back unpredictable risky play like chip kicking and keeping the ball alive. Also wrestling would become a pointless exercise.

T-Boon

Coach
Storm and Roosters are ranked 1 and 2 when it comes to most tries, goals and points scored and the most line breaks. But okay.

They just have the best players and knowledge of how to exploit the ruck.
It is a copy cat league full of crap coaches (mainly from Bellamys coaching tree) which means all teams are spending only about 30% of their time on attacking skills because the rules and refereeing favour defense.

ACTPanthers

Bench
anybody-ever-tell-5b567f.jpg

Cockosh

Juniors
They just have the best players and knowledge of how to exploit the ruck.
It is a copy cat league full of crap coaches (mainly from Bellamys coaching tree) which means all teams are spending only about 30% of their time on attacking skills because the rules and refereeing favour defense.
I’m confused? I don’t understand how we are overtraining when the swans have shut us out of Moore Park. Also should we warm up before games or is that considered training? It’s a complex issue.

Cockosh

Juniors
Just an idea but should they ban forwards from tackling? Only allow backs to tackle to take away defence focus. Not centres though because they are big these days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He admited on a show I was watching through the week that at the teams he has played with training is 70% focused on defense and 30% on attack. This is the 2 leading teams in the comp with most of the attacking talent.
I've got to be honest, this shows up on the playing field. It is a good explanation for why defense has continued to strangle attack for so long and why the referee has become the most influential creator of opportunities on the field.
I think if a club goes out and recruits the best halfback and fullback in the game they should feel a bit of an obligation to contribute towards the entertainment of the game.
The point is if Melbourne and Roosters are working on defence almost twice as much as they are working on attack what chance do we have of the code addressing the current issues we have. Something has to be done.

Have you missed the amazing length of the field tries the Storm have scored in recent years? They are just masters at controlling the pace of the game, then exploding in attack when needed. I doubt their wingers would have the tries they have if they were all about defence!

T-Boon

Coach
Just an idea but should they ban forwards from tackling? Only allow backs to tackle to take away defence focus. Not centres though because they are big these days.

No. That’s stupid. You should leave the solution finding to others. Just acknowledge there is a problem called wrestling.

T.S Quint

Coach
Rewarding 1 v 1 legs tackles, instead of discouraging them, would be a simple fix to solve some issues.

Would also lead to potentially more offloads, and more attacking footy.
Reduces the wrestle.
Encourages more tackles away from the attackers head.

There would pretty much be no such thing as a quick play-the-ball. Most of the time that’s the only way a team can score a try. Would be more tries from kicks, or just less tries altogether.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would like to see a trial of only 2 men allowed in the tackle though. This three men in is where the real problem lies in the speed of the ruck and inability to offload imo. The downside is we might see 130kg giants rumbling along with two hanging off them, but a reduction in interchanges would possibly reduce that risk.

T-Boon

Coach
There would pretty much be no such thing as a quick play-the-ball. Most of the time that’s the only way a team can score a try. Would be more tries from kicks, or just less tries altogether.

Yep so punish 3 man tackles.

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL should float the idea of punishing 3 man tackles just to see the panic from Bellamy.

BadnMean

Juniors
Have you missed the amazing length of the field tries the Storm have scored in recent years? They are just masters at controlling the pace of the game, then exploding in attack when needed. I doubt their wingers would have the tries they have if they were all about defence!

Ahhh but did you apply McGregor's rule... all tries scored from kicks must removed from an equation before the calculation can be made.

Latest posts