What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla Sharks ban mention of Shane Flanagan in lead up to Dragons derby

Frenzy.

Immortal

Cronulla Sharks ban mention of Shane Flanagan in lead up to Dragons derby​

Cronulla haven’t won a premiership since Shane Flanagan left the club, PAMELA WHALEY reveals how the Sharks juggle a rebuild while still respecting the history.

Pamela Whaley Pamela Whaley, 4 min read, May 4, 2024 - 12:00PM

NRL
No one at Cronulla wants to mutter the ‘F’ word this week.

Shane Flanagan – the premiership-winning Sharks coach now leading arch rivals St George Illawarra – is the topic of conversation behind closed doors only.

Publicly, there’ll be little to no acknowledgment of him, nor his fighting words ahead of Sunday's derby.

Flanagan’s presence still looms large over the club. And we mean that literally – his image is emblazoned on the tunnel walls at Shark Park as part of a montage celebrating the 2016 grand final-winning team.

Which is exactly the point he raised when, after the Dragons had 60 points put on them last week, Flanagan pointed out the Sharks hadn’t won a premiership since he left the place.

The snarky comment didn’t go down well at the Sharks, who have waited until Sunday to retaliate on the field.

It stoked the existing tension between the two clubs, and raised debate about the club’s lone premiership-winning coach and his complicated legacy in Cronulla.

DUE RESPECT

Only four players – Braden Hamlin-Uele, Jesse Ramien, Sione Katoa and Jack Williams – remain from Flanagan’s time at the Sharks, which ended suddenly in 2018.

Ramien was one Shark who was willing to let the ‘F’ word slip.

“Flanno gave me my debut in the last round of 2017 against the Knights, so you always are going to be grateful to the coach who had trust in you to hand you your debut, and I’ll always be grateful to Flanno for that,” Ramien says.

“On our part there’s a massive amount of respect for Flanno for what he achieved here.”

It’s one side of the complex but lasting impact he has left at the Sharks ahead of his return to the ground on Sunday.

In 2018 the NRL deregistered Flanagan after they found he failed to adhere to the conditions of a year-long suspension imposed on him back in 2014 for his role in a supplements scandal that rocked the entire sport.

Paul Gallen kisses Shane Flanagan,coach of the Sharks after the 2016 NRL Grand Final. Picture: Craig Golding

Paul Gallen kisses Shane Flanagan,coach of the Sharks after the 2016 NRL Grand Final. Picture: Craig Golding

Paul Gallen and coach Shane Flanagan receive the keys to the shire during the Cronulla Sharks fan day at Shark Park, after they won the 2016 NRL grand Final . Picture: Gregg Porteous

Paul Gallen and coach Shane Flanagan receive the keys to the shire during the Cronulla Sharks fan day at Shark Park, after they won the 2016 NRL grand Final . Picture: Gregg Porteous

It was a sudden and dramatic end to what was a long period of on-field success at Cronulla.

During his time at the club the Sharks were an enduring premiership threat. They were tenacious and dogged, mentally and physically tough.

They made the finals six seasons out of eight with Flanagan in charge, but also went through the darkest period of the club’s history.

“The club has been through some dark times, obviously a few clubs go through it, but there was a bit of chopping and changing in the coaching,” Ramien says.

“Fitzy (coach Craig Fitzgibbon) has brought a whole new culture to the club and to the team, he’s recreated what we stand for and what we’re about. In my time here at the club, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in such a good spot.”

Shane Flanagan built up plenty of good will at the Sharks

Shane Flanagan built up plenty of good will at the Sharks

THE REBUILD​

It’s been five years since Flanagan left, during which time the Sharks have been through a massive rebuild of roster and culture.
John Morris, and then Josh Hannay coached at various stages until Fitzgibbon was handed the job in 2021.

The popular but stoic figure has been at the head of a complete overhaul of the club, one that’s barely recognisable from the one Flanagan was in charge of.

The team is no longer considered gritty and tenacious (which has been a point of criticism too) and they’ve struggled with finals form.

But they’re still winning. Coming into round 9 they sit top of the ladder, while the Dragons sit 11th after a mixed run of form in Flanagan’s first year in charge.

“This week it just adds to the excitement of the game, it’s already going to be a big day for the local derby, but him being the ex coach here adds another layer to it,” Ramien says.

Craig Fitzgibbon has put his own stamp on the Sharks. Picture: Getty Images

Craig Fitzgibbon has put his own stamp on the Sharks. Picture: Getty Images

“We’re down the road from each other, the other year through Covid we both called Kogarah home. It’s that local rivalry. Their supporters hate ours and our supporters hate theirs, it’s just a big game no matter where each team is siting on the ladder. It’s just one those games.

“I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of a couple, none of them have disappointed. Some scores blow out now and then but in terms of physicality there’s no other games like it.”

Jack Bird, who starred in the 2016 premiership side and is now at the Dragons, is also well aware of the stakes.

“It’s massive ... I feel like there’s a bit of tension between the two clubs,” Bird says.

“I don’t think they like each other very much and the fans definitely don’t like one another. Whoever wins are the big brother … it’s just a one-up thing there.”

NEW MINDSET

Part of the rebuild was installing a new mentality into the club.

“Fitzy is unreal, not just how he is at training, the way he is at life,” Ramien says.

“Footy is a big part of our life but it’s not the only part of it, so he’s really big on making us great men and in turn we’ll be great footy players. I love that he brings that point of view off the field, not just us as a player. That’s what I love about his coaching style.

“He’s helped me find my way and that consistency.”

Katoa, who made his debut under Flanagan in 2018 says he feels as though he has blossomed only in the past two years.

He’s now of the games top tryscorers, with 64 tries in 96 NRL games.

“It’s been slow, just getting used to being in the NRL it took me longer than it should have, it wasn’t until Fitzy came for me to realise what type of player I want to be and what I want out of the NRL as a player,” he says.

“It took me that long to start enjoying footy again and to find a purpose of why I’m playing.

“Being the coach he is, Fitzy tells us we have two families, the one at home and the one here. If you’re good with the one at home you’ll be good with the one on the field.”

gregstar

Referee
He's still making a fortune selling your bunch of jizz-garglers uppers by the truckload.

How else would you cheating skidmarks be at the pointy end of the table.
He's only there to collect payment today.
Coaching us is just a front.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Well the days a shit.

Gonna be pretty dank down there. Pissflap will love it.
Spot on. It’s ordinary beyond belief.
Im nervous - not about the game, but I’ll be soaked through the skin down at the swamp.
In the words of Roger Murtaugh, tool old for this

Latest posts