What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CrossFit

Xfactor1979

Bench
This stuff is on ESPN. Not exactly sure what the premise for the sport is, apparently they say this sport is extremely dangerous because it is demanding on the body. There is a large crowd in attendance to watch these (irrational) feats of strength

Thoughts?

Danish

Referee
Worst chin up form ever, thats all I have to say about it.

Other than that, its basically just watching people exercise isn't it?

Joker's Wild

Coach
The "kipping" pull up is its own form mate, it's not meant to be a replacement for standard pull-ups

Much the same as "Romanian" dead lifts are different to standard dead lifts

Not sure what is "irrational" about it too X-Factor

DeeJ

Bench
The "kipping" pull up is its own form mate, it's not meant to be a replacement for standard pull-ups

Much the same as "Romanian" dead lifts are different to standard dead lifts

Not sure what is "irrational" about it too X-Factor

no, the kipping movement is borrowed from gymnastics, which was used in that sport to use momentum and not just muscle strength to launch one's self into the air to catch the higher uneven bar.

to do kipping pull ups for cardio is stupid

Tom Shines

First Grade
This stuff is on ESPN. Not exactly sure what the premise for the sport is, apparently they say this sport is extremely dangerous because it is demanding on the body. There is a large crowd in attendance to watch these (irrational) feats of strength

Thoughts?

It's extremely dangerous because it's chucking weights around as quick as you can with no emphasis on form.

Joker's Wild

Coach
It's extremely dangerous because it's chucking weights around as quick as you can with no emphasis on form.

Bullshit

Form is a huge part of Crossfit and is taught in all good boxes (some shit ones dont unfortunately).

Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story though aye

Joker's Wild

Coach
no, the kipping movement is borrowed from gymnastics, which was used in that sport to use momentum and not just muscle strength to launch one's self into the air to catch the higher uneven bar.

to do kipping pull ups for cardio is stupid

Yep, hence why I said its its own form and not meant to be a replacement for standard pull ups

Kipping is done for conditioning, not "cardio" too btw

Danish

Referee
Bullshit

Form is a huge part of Crossfit and is taught in all good boxes (some shit ones dont unfortunately).

Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story though aye

Watching the cross fit games there doesn't appear to be much form involved with any of them. No 2 competitors seem to share the same exact technique for any of the exercises.

Most of the modifications cross fit work outs make tend to be about making things easier to inflate rep numbers and speed. Of course you can be taught these new techniques so that they are done safely but there is still a higher risk of injury regardless.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Different techniques? Cant say I agree man. Look at the guys doing overhead squats and thrusters in the below video. All of them are pretty much identical (there are always small differences across athletes, but the tech principles remain the same) and they all have officials watching them making sure they dont cheat.

[youtube]rVZtjRz99bE[/youtube]

I think Crossfit is an easy target for critisism due to the 1000s of videos of idiots on youtube trying to bust out lifts and ignoring form. There are idiots who do this in every gym across the planet but somehow they all get labled "Crossfitters" on youtube

Haffa

That couldn't be further from the truth. The reps they're completing wouldn't be counted if they weren't moving with an emphasis on form

Haffa

As someone who competes in crossfit events for a weekend/hobby sport and to stay fit I enjoy watching the CFG's on ESPN simply because these guys are performing at levels I could never reach.

It may not be for everyone but it's taken me from a 128kg overweight porker to a 87kg fit person inside 3 years.