What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd behavior

jeffdragon

Bench
Notice in the souths game today the crowd's constant boos.
I think we don't do.it enough at our home games.
For mine Souths, Eels and Tigers are the worst when booing for a penalty.

John Fifita

Coach
Had to laugh at Thursday's game. The Broncos crowd are like a twenty-twenty crowd. No real knowledge of the game. Only make noise if there's a Broncos try of the ground announcer whips them up.

Me? I'm feral. Looking for offside penalties and the like for 80 minutes. Had no voice when I was giving my Broncos supporting workmates shit on Friday.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Home crowd booing pisses me off at the best of times. 90% of the time it's based off just being upset that a call went against your team, regardless of whether it's correct or not.

I've seen blatant knock ons receive a no try call on the big screens for all to see, and crowd still boos.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
giphy.gif

remote.axd

RedVDave

First Grade
Try going to a Melbourne Storm home game they either boo cause they have no idea or clap cause they have no idea. I'll never forget when I went to the round 1 game in 2009 the fans started walking out when scores were level after full time because they had no idea about golden point.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
By all means feel free to let the referees and the opposition players know that they are in front of a home crowd. And let them know again and again.

Anyone who thinks the refs and players can't hear thousands of people yelling is kidding themselves.

If it gets us one penalty in 80 minutes then it has been worthwhile. If the opposition get rattled enough to miss one tackle, then it has been worthwhile.

blacksafake

First Grade
As sure as night turns to day after a good booing by the home crowd the refs will normally find a penalty.
The teams with the best success imo are Knights,Eels,Broncos,Sharks.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Home crowd booing pisses me off at the best of times. 90% of the time it's based off just being upset that a call went against your team, regardless of whether it's correct or not.

I've seen blatant knock ons receive a no try call on the big screens for all to see, and crowd still boos.
In that case it's only 'technically' a knock on.

How many fair tries have we been denied? How many dodgy tries have been awarded to the opposition? Referees are human, and they need to be reminded of their frailties regularly. It is not disrespectful to keep them on their toes.

Just a few excerpts from The Book of Barracking...

When we are in possession:
We NEVER throw forward passes.
If the ball comes loose, it MUST have been an illegal strip.
EVERY tackle against us that goes above the shoulders is a SEND OFF offence.
Opposition players who step a toenail in front of the ref are a MILE offside. "They've been doing it all day ref!"
Our kickers are ALWAYS taken LATE and HIGH. Obviously!!!!!

When we are defending:
They ALWAYS throw forward passes.
EVERY runaround move is OBSTRUCTION!
They ALWAYS walk off the mark.
Our players are NEVER off side.
When we shoulder charge, late tackle etc these are ALWAYS referred to as, "just good tough football and the bastards are ruining the game we love!"

Hope that clears things up.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Look I think all supporters are biased. We can boo with the best of them and I have to stop myself seeing a conspiracy behind every bad decision that goes against us BUT a number of Broncos supporters behaved really poorly when Widdop got injured. Any person knowing what he went through last year would feel for the guy, however look at the film clip as he is being helped off, some of the Broncos supporters were calling out, laughing and clapping in his direction. Really poor form. Maybe the truth of the matter is that every club has its proportion of idiots.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
a number of Broncos supporters behaved really poorly when Widdop got injured.
They're animals up there. I recall one game when the stand above dropped rubbish on us. Food, liquids... just garbage. It wasn't just one or two idiots, there must been dozens of them.

Actually, I take some of that back. Animals don't do that sort of crap.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Look I think all supporters are biased. We can boo with the best of them and I have to stop myself seeing a conspiracy behind every bad decision that goes against us BUT a number of Broncos supporters behaved really poorly when Widdop got injured. Any person knowing what he went through last year would feel for the guy, however look at the film clip as he is being helped off, some of the Broncos supporters were calling out, laughing and clapping in his direction. Really poor form. Maybe the truth of the matter is that every club has its proportion of idiots.

I agree with your last sentence 100%.

Casting back to last year when SGI knocked off Cronulla in Wool-o-where (?), there was a female Dragons’ supporter who delighted in telling all and sundry that Josh Dugan “sucks”.

Her tirade not only lasted a good 20 minutes while waiting for the shuttle bus to the train station, it continued unabated for another 30 minutes afterwards too.

Fair dinks, you could’ve just recorded her dribble and just press play.

Monotonous, droll, annoying.

I actually felt embarrassed as a Saints fan, and said as much to a couple of Sharks’ fans while we waited for the train to leave Cronulla.

Sadly, there are some boorish, dickheads within our brethren. I’d call them bogans but people of that persuasion might take offence.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think we don't do.it enough at our home games.
For mine Souths, Eels and Tigers are the worst when booing for a penalty.

Actually, I agree with the sentiment expressed here. There are plenty of times (particularly at Kogarah) when there’s a palpable uneasiness in the air when Saints are struggling (sometimes you can hear a pin drop). Instead of being raucous, I feel quite often Dragons’ fans are traditionally sedate compared to opposition team supporters.