What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Figures this year

jed

First Grade
FFB :arrow: Bay56, we all had our fun last night :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raider Azz

Bench
Bay56 said:
Raider_Azz said:
Waits for Bay56 to reply with "see, I am right... more FACTS here"

I do agree, though. That is a little worrying.

see, I am right... more FACTS here :lol: :lol:

ohh boy, crack me up Raider Azz ... by the way have you seen Shrek ??
:lol: :lol:

raiders realist

Juniors
woodgers said:
Can anyone remember the last game we cracked 11 000? I think it was the Eels game. I can't see us getting half decent crowds to the Storm or Roosters either. Canberra sporting fans are infuriating, turncoat b*stards.
That may well be but it is Hawkins & co who are supposed to make it attractive to the general public to go out and spend the money. Most people have nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon, so if the marketing is right and the incentive is there, they should get numbers. Why not market to Uni students across the road to come to the footy for the Saturday night games and have a few beers before heading out on the town? Maybe the Raiders can subside the drinks or tickets slightly? Anything. They just don't try and Hawkins comments above back that up. It appears to me the time and money he should be putting into these things he is spending on the phone to the UK talking to the over 30's club.

I think the major problem with Hawkins is that his performance appraisal at the raiders is closely linked with the bottom line. Other clubs like North Queensland and Newcastle (teams that both have solid crowd support - even when they play like shit) judge the performance of their CEO and management by crowd numbers and public support. Measuring the CEO by this yardstick ensures that the management is out recruiting support for the club than studying the balance sheet and financial performance.

I agree that there is definitely a place for financial analysis, I just don't think that it should come at the price of trying to increase crowd numbers and public support.

How do you think Shane Richardson has made a name for himself?

woodgers

Bench
Good point. But he had made blunders on heaps of things, as has Furner. At the top end they must get it right on heaps of different areas from Player negotiations right through to financial viability and support. Unfortunately if we were to be judged on our off field stuff we would get the spoon for sure. It is all hand in hand though. If you are a well run club you attract good players, win matches, get support and then you are financially fine. At the moment we don't have any big name players, the most well known are leaving anyway and therefore no one wants to support us. Soon enough we will be struggling financially and then these two will get the chop after they have run us into the ground.

Raiders Realist, defending management with only 1 post. Is that you Mr Hawkins?

Anonymous

Juniors
woodgers said:
Can anyone remember the last game we cracked 11 000? I think it was the Eels game. I can't see us getting half decent crowds to the Storm or Roosters either. Canberra sporting fans are infuriating, turncoat b*stards.
That may well be but it is Hawkins & co who are supposed to make it attractive to the general public to go out and spend the money. Most people have nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon, so if the marketing is right and the incentive is there, they should get numbers. Why not market to Uni students across the road to come to the footy for the Saturday night games and have a few beers before heading out on the town? Maybe the Raiders can subside the drinks or tickets slightly? Anything. They just don't try and Hawkins comments above back that up. It appears to me the time and money he should be putting into these things he is spending on the phone to the UK talking to the over 30's club.

I was living on campus at UC earlier this year, and I will probobly be going back next year.

I was one of I dare say 5 or 6 students who actually attended games (this number is fairly accurate as everyone took the same route back via Belco, although I'm sure there were more, well, fairly sure)

It's an untapped market, with the potential to dramatically raise crowd figures.

Canberra crowds are renowndly crap when the team they are watching isn't running too well. Last year, the Raiders slowly dragged the numbers up as they continued to win matches. People believed they would be fun to watch towards the end of the season, and they turned up then. The numbers started ok this year, but have dropped as the performances of the team have dropped. Even when the Brumbies had their sh!t year, their crowd numbers dropped. Canberrans are a fickle bunch. You have your locals who are the die hard supporters, you have the out-of town folk who moved to canberra for work, and they tend to support other RL teams, or they go to the Kick-n-Clap because they are assured of success at the moment. Then there is the disenchanted types (I like to refer to them as girls blouses), who take interest when the team starts to do ok, but most of the time talk about the Super League guff and how they were 'disenchanted' by that era of the game. It's a tough market, the get a decent crowd, especially when you throw into the equation the cold weather, and live Pay TV matches. All these adversely affect crowd numbers.

I wouldn't be blaming management for the problems with crowd numbers. They could give away free tickets, which would be good in order to get a bigger crowd, but that costs the club money. But it is an initial cost that may turn to profit if the crowds came back. But to the ordinary canberran, RL isn't attractive at the moment. Give them a premiership and watch them come back. The bandwagon jumpers they are.