What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowds for the World Cup

yakstorm

First Grade
Where our World Cup sits:

2006 Mens FIFA World Cup: 52,401
2007 Mens IRB Rugby Union World Cup: 47,150
2007 Womens FIFA World Cup: 36,155
2007 Mens ICC World Twenty20 World Cup: ?? Can't find it
2006 World Baseball Classic: 18,900
2008 Rugby League World Cup: 16,400
2004 World Cup of Ice Hockey: 15,981
2007 Mens ICC One Day Cricket World Cup: 13,176
2006 IAAF Athletics World Cup: 11,316 (Per Day)
2008 FINA Swimming World Cup: 7,723 (Per Day)
2006 Basketball World Championships: 7,451
2007 Netball World Championship: 4,351
2006 Mens (Field) Hockey World Cup: 4,143
2007 IFAF (American Football) World Cup: 3,701
2006 Womens Hockey World Cup: 2,762
2005 Mens IRB Rugby Union Sevens World Cup: 1,481 (Per Game)

We're going alright I think. Plenty of room to grow, but we're reasonably placed.

In-goal

Bench
Managed correctly the competition can only get bigger and more competitive, maybe Australia can end the 5 year run of the kiwi world champions lol

boris_badenov

Juniors
yep great comparison between a sport which plays it's "world cup" in it's absolute heartland of the eastern seaboard of Australia and world cups played in several different continents .

The organisers of this RLWC didn't even have the balls to try and spread the game to Adelaide or Perth :lol:

yakstorm

First Grade
yep great comparison between a sport which plays it's "world cup" in it's absolute heartland of the eastern seaboard of Australia and world cups played in several different continents .

The organisers of this RLWC didn't even have the balls to try and spread the game to Adelaide or Perth :lol:

Boris, mate what is your issue? Do you just enjoy talking down League's World Cup at every opportunity?

League has never pretended to be one of the top international tournaments in the world, all we are doing is finding out where we sit and as the list shows we certainly aren't the smallest.

You complain its unfair to compare it with other tournaments because ours was only played in our heartlands... but then you talk up Baseball's tournament... which to keep crowds up, held Japanese games in guess where? Japan, and Cuba's games in Cuba... I'm sure if League broke it up, and took say England v NZ to England, and PNG v NZ to Port Moresby, we would have gotten bigger crowds. Good on them, they sold their finals better, but they were pre-sold before anyone knew who would be in them, so there was an expectation USA would be there. Nothing wrong with that, it was smart business, League should have pushed its semi's a lot more than they did before the tournament.

Then you say we can't compare to sports like Field hockey or Basketball because they played their tournaments in smaller venues...well if you look at both of them, most of the games weren't sold out, in fact even the final was only at 70% of capacity... so I think it is fair to compare, if these tournaments were sold out from start to finish then you could aruge that they have the potential to draw more.

Ice Hockey again wasn't always at capacity, if they were, they would have easily beaten our crowd average.

But anyway, I guess why should I bother even arguing with someone who clearly came on the site to be nothing more than a troll.... lets see in your 10 posts of crap onto this site, you've bagged out the RLWC crowds, complained about Lockyer getting the MOTM in the RLWC final and posted a series of images from your favourite site boner.com.