What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowe rules out bid for South Sydney

HBG

Juniors
Crowe rules out bid for South Sydney

Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe has ruled out making any bid to buy his beloved South Sydney NRL club, at least for the time being.

Speaking at the Australian premiere of his new film Cinderella Man, the diehard Bunnies fan said he did not believe the time was right to be investing in rugby league.

"Not at this point. Not right now," Crowe said when asked about reports he was involved in a bid to buy Souths with businessman Peter Holmes a Court.

"It was surprise to me that it was even up for sale.

"Souths may be priceless but they are certainly not worth $10 million."

Crowe said despite the huge success of the NRL this season with bumper crowds and the most even competition ever, he did not think the sport was a wise investment.

"On the surface ... from what I've seen, I think most rugby league fans don't really have a full idea or have been given the facts so they could make an objective assessment," he said.

"You pull that curtain back and take just a little bit of a peak and rugby league doesn't look like a good investment."

© 2005 AAP

parra pete

Referee
Russell Crowe = Publicity seeker = Hapless joke. Why do you bother with clowns like him. He is playing tricks with your hearts.

I have to say cinderella man was right about one thing you have to merge your Junior club with your leagues club before anyone takes you guys seriously,then you can build a good stadium in your area cause at the moment even the state government has put your proposal's for a new stadium on the back burner.Sth Sydney has to get with the times and move forward because at this rate I'm sorry to say the new QLD mob (the Titians) will have a proper home groung before you guys.
EASTS4EVER WORD!

I think Rooster man has a point, you really need to link up with the juniors. Unfortunately politics get in the way.

My club would still be around and quite wealthy if local league politics were cast aside for the good of the Steelers. Heaps of huge leagues clubs in the area not interested in uniting.

Once you guys unite with the juniors and begin to move in the one direction, you'll be fine.

Good luck in 2006 Souths. Hope you do well.

Latest posts