What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CT: Brian Smith not out of the running

thickos

First Grade
Smith coy on Raiders role as more join hunt
Peter Fitzgerald
Wednesday, 22 February 2006

Parramatta Eels coach Brian Smith remained in the hunt yesterday to replace Matt Elliott as head coach of the Canberra Raiders next season.
But former Raiders assistant coach Terry Matterson withdrew from the race, saying he would honour a two-year contract with English Super League club Castleford.

Raiders general manager Don Furner confirmed eight prospective coaches had contacted the club in the past two days to register their interest in the position.

North Queensland Cowboys assistant Neil Henry was set to join that group after confirming yesterday he would make an official approach to the Raiders.

Elliott quit on Sunday to accept a three-year deal with the Penrith Panthers, starting next season.

Smith, whom Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald informed would not be retained by the club beyond this season, remained non-committal yesterday about whether he had approached, or would approach, Canberra about the vacant position.

"I've got nothing to say," Smith replied when asked about the Raiders position.

When pressed on whether he would like to have some form of coaching role in the NRL beyond this season, Smith fired back: "Is your line breaking up? I said I've got nothing to say".

Henry wasn't so abrupt.

The former Raiders Jersey Flegg (2001, 2002) and SG Ball (2000) coach declared his "definite interest" in the position.

Henry, 44, confirmed he had not officially contacted the Raiders but would do so by the end of the week.

"I haven't been approached by the club or vice-versa but I am definitely interested in exploring the options available," Henry said.

"There are not many NRL head coaching jobs out there. I've had a wonderful experience up here [in North Queensland] but certainly the opportunity to work as a head coach is very appealing."

Matterson said yesterday he would not apply for the position. The 38-year-old left his position as co-assistant with Canberra on good terms last year but yesterday confirmed he would not walk out on Castleford while still contracted.

"I haven't had any contact with Canberra," Matterson told England's Sky Sports.

"I'm committed to seeing this job through. It's a big job and I've just got my teeth into it."

In a twist to the Raiders' search for a coach, Canberra sponsors sounded out Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens about returning to Canberra before Elliott had signed with Penrith. Sheens was said to have turned down the offer.

"A couple of sponsors had lunch with Tim and he said he had served his time in Canberra," Raiders chairman John McIntyre said.

"Tim had nine wonderful years here and we would not begrudge him for not wanting to come back."

legend

Coach
Smith is very much in the hunt then. I always read a no comment as an admittance of guilt or involvement. If someone is not interested they usually say as much and lay any rumours to rest but a "no comment' or I've got nothing to say tells me he is shortlisted for the role with Opes.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Smith could do a very good job at the Raiders

Brian Smith is great at taking a under-performing team with strong juniors ande turning them into a top 4 side he did that with both Parra and the Dragons.

CAnberra have a lot of good youngsters coming through and some decent top grade players like Schifcofske, J.Smith (if he stays another year) and others who slip my mind right now.

Chachi

Bench
ed bbay said:
sheens hates us
Is that opinion based on the fact he spent more time here than any other coach or the fact he's probably sitting on a $1M contract with the tigers??

Sheens was never going to come back and I doubt Brian Smith will either. I'm just glad that Furner and Matterson have ruled themselves out.

Timbo

Staff member
It just gets better IMO.

I think it'll be Anderson or Smith. I'll take both with open arms but I'm praying for Smith.

cooba

Juniors
Smith wont come,he's good mates with Elliot and knows the full story why Elliot left, he's not about to put himself in the same boat. I know they wont sign him because he's untested, but Neil Henry would be sensational-why do you think Meninga's got him as his assistant for QLD this year?

Raider Azz

Bench
cooba said:
Smith wont come,he's good mates with Elliot and knows the full story why Elliot left, he's not about to put himself in the same boat.
and what, pray tell, is the "full story with elliot"? i have heard he left for personal reasons, nothing to do with how he was treated by the club.

cooba

Juniors
If you believe that AZZ you believe in fairy stories. Elliot knew the bells were tolling
and good luck for him taking advantage of the Fitzgerald juggernaut. He knew his time was up at the end of this year, all that spin about a meeting on Monday this week was just that and in the end he played the game.(Carefully analyse his last press conference)There's a hell of a lot of behind the scenes stuff happening and the end result should make you very happy.

jed

First Grade
Your source cooba? You can't say things like that without any credibility.

aussies1st

Staff member
I can't see why Elliott would hate our club. We were going to extend his contract even after coming 2nd to last. Our management wanted to retain him.

cooba

Juniors
He doesn't hate the club, why would he. Think about it, if he didn't think his time was up ,he wouldn't have been looking at other options. His character is not the type to leave a job unfinished, he succeeded at Bradford and intended to here, and still might this year with good luck. Good luck to the guy most of the Raiders fans wish him well.

Latest posts