What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CT: Gafa to cure five-eighth woes

thickos

First Grade
[font=Verdana,Arial]Raiders' problem position - Gafa out to cure five-eighth woes[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial] By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league [/font]
[font=Verdana, arial]Thursday, 23 June 2005[/font]

[font=verdana,arial] It has become the "Canberra Curse" at the Raiders this season. [/font] [font=verdana,arial] Jason Smith has been injured twice while patrolling it. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Todd Carney has failed to master it. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] And Terry Campese was this week dropped back to Premier League after struggling to ace it in his two recent attempts. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] But saviour Matt Gafa is confident he can take control of the five-eighth role for the Raiders on Saturday when he lines up in his former position against the North Queensland Cowboys in round 16 of the NRL. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] From the back-row to fullback, wing to centre and now five-eighth, the 26-year-old has become Mr Fix-It this season. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] In a year where coach Matt Elliott has already been forced to use 29 players in his first-grade side, Gafa is one of just four players to have played every senior game for Canberra in 2005. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] In a bid to resurrect the Raiders' fading season and get them back into the top eight, Gafa knows there has been no match more in need of a stellar performance from him that what faces him this weekend. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "This is definitely my biggest game of the year, but it's a challenge I'm looking forward to," he said yesterday. "I'm excited about the move to five-eighth and I hope the players around me are as well." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Gafa has played two season for the Gungahlin Bulls in the Canberra Cup competition in the No6 jersey and had six opportunities in first grade with the Raiders last year in the pivotal role. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] One of the club's more valuable utilities, Gafa planned on catching up with Jason Smith after yesterday's training session to get some advice off the 33-year-old veteran. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Smith has been pivotal to the Raiders this season, the side has won only one of the five games Smith has missed - and that was a struggling win against the winless Knights. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] In his absence, Canberra has scored just 10 tries and conceded a worrying 23 while during the side's fruitful start to the year - all of which Smith was involved in - it piled on 21 tries and conceded only 12. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Gafa is aware of the shoes he has to fill. He admitted that while he would do his best to steer the Raiders around the paddock this weekend, there would be certain aspects of Smith's game he, or anyone else at the club, would not be able to replicate. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "It's just his leadership and his guidance around the field that's second to none," Gafa said. "It's like when you're sick and your mum's at home looking after you, you feel so much better, it's the same when Smithy's out on the field [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "Everyone feels 100 per cent confident in each other [but] when he's not there, everyone is looking for someone to turn to." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] While Gafa has the pressure of replacing Smith in the middle of the paddock, Michael Robertson returns to first grade in place of Marshall Chalk on the wing. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Robertson began the season in Premier League before fighting his way into the top side. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Injury has since set him back but after an impressive return in Premier League against the Bulldogs last weekend, Robertson was given the nod for the Cowboys' encounter. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] The former Valley Dragons junior admits it's been a frustrating year to date but is eager to cement his first-grade position. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "It's not going to be easy against a side as good as the Cowboys but I'm sure our guys will lift, knowing the importance of the match," Robertson said yesterday. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "[The Cowboys] have got some of the best back-field players in the comp so it's going to be important for me and the rest of the outside backs to control them." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Meanwhile, former junior Kangaroos representative Ryan Hinchcliffe yesterday re- signed with the Raiders for the next two seasons. Hinchcliffe, 20, joined the Raiders from Parramatta this year. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] He has been hampered by injuries during his last two seasons at the Eels but the former back-rower is now establishing himself as a hooker. [/font]

woodgers

Bench
He played 2 seasons with the Gungahlin Bulls in the Canberra Cup in the #6? Why didn't someone tell management earlier, we didn't need to sign Smith after all!

skeepe

Immortal
I think Gafa will go alright in the #6 jersey to be honest. He didn't do too badly at all last season when partnered with McLinden.

Boing Boing

Juniors
skeepe said:
I think Gafa will go alright in the #6 jersey to be honest. He didn't do too badly at all last season when partnered with McLinden.

That's a point many have overlooked. Of course, while he didn't do that badly, he was definitely "Unspectacular", as he is in all of his work.

Raider_69

Post Whore
last year like 03, we had a far superior forward pack, we were able to play the game up the guts and not really have to to have a real 5/8th, as the ball barely reached our 3/4 line, hence Matty Gafa's style worked... This year we cant play that game, full strength with Weyman, Rhino, Hodgson and Miller etc we could but with our currect we cant. We need to play to our strengths which atm would easily be out backs with Schif, Frawley, Howell and Ale... and thats not a stule of play i think Gafa can execute

sydraider

First Grade
There's no way he can execute it.

I still dont think his form or confidence warrants selection at 5/8. Just look at some of the garbage he dished up on the wing.

I'd stick with campo, just threaten him with electric shocks whenever he lops up a midfield bomb lol.

Carney hasn't mastered it? What chance has he been given to master it, it doesn't exactly show much faith in the kid the club considers to be its long term option, fair dinkum, if the team played a style that suited carney's game better maybe he would have gone better.......

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
this happens every week..we pump up some story on a player that the club believes will have a blinder..more often then not they play like crap.

woodgers

Bench
Of course he can't execute it. Robertson wants to cement a spot, how is he going to do that standing out there growing moss?

Chachi

Bench
If Gafa runs out as 5/8, the only chance we've got this week is if their outside backs freeze to death while doing nothing in defence.

ausraider

Juniors
sydraider said:
There's no way he can execute it.

I still dont think his form or confidence warrants selection at 5/8. Just look at some of the garbage he dished up on the wing.

I'd stick with campo, just threaten him with electric shocks whenever he lops up a midfield bomb lol.

Totally agree.lol

ausraider

Juniors
Chachi said:
If Gafa runs out as 5/8, the only chance we've got this week is if their outside backs freeze to death while doing nothing in defence.

Thats a corker Chachi.I just hope our mob don't freeze before them.Hopefully it will be -2.But then again QLD have been pretty cool lately.

thickos

First Grade
One of the worst articles I have ever seen. The 'Jason Smith is like your mum looking after you' line disgusts me, it is totally pathetic that the other 16 are so reliant and we are that one dimensional!

Gafa will go ok, he was alright most of the time there last season. But he is up against it this weekend and IMO there are better options.

Timbo

Staff member
Does it concern anyone else that Linc will be virtually our only real kicking option this weekend?

Campo has been doing 90% of all in game kicking for the last few weeks. Not looking forward to this one.

Brimmer

Juniors
To be fair... I guess I have been critical of Gafa's form this season. And, granted, he did play alright at 5/8 last year. I'm ready to give the gaf a chance. But based on his current and lazy form, I seriously have my doubts.

Latest posts