What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CT: Graham to sign on for three more - CONFIRMED

thickos

First Grade
Graham sticks with Raiders despite coach uncertainty
Peter Fitzgerald
Tuesday, 28 February 2006

Phil Graham will today become the first Canberra Raiders player to re-sign with the club without knowing who the future coach will be. Graham will ink a three-year deal this afternoon, bringing to an end six weeks of negotiations between his manager Jim Banaghan and Canberra.

The utility player was set to re-sign a fortnight ago but held back on his decision when coach Matt Elliott announced he would leave the club at the end of the season.

After discussing the issue with Elliott, Raiders management and Banaghan, Graham verbally agreed to the deal and will make it official today.

Despite contrary reports, Graham had not been in negotiations with the NRL's newest franchise, the Gold Coast Titans, for the 2007 season.

The 24-year-old was born in Tamworth in northern NSW but the Raiders had not given him permission to negotiate with rival clubs prior to the NRL's June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

"I wanted to stay in Canberra all along so this is the ideal result for me," Graham said yesterday.

"I've just bought a unit here in Canberra and have enjoyed my time at the club so far so I was keen to stay.

"I'm glad it's all done before the season starts so I can just concentrate on footy now."

Graham does not have a clause in his new contract for an early release pending the announcement of the club's new coach.

He said yesterday he had faith in club management to make the right decision and didn't feel he needed an escape clause.

Graham admitted he would have preferred to play under Elliott but did not see the coach's departure as reason enough to delay securing his future any further.

"It's bad Matty's leaving but I like it in Canberra," he said.

"I've spoken to a few people about it all so it'll be good when we actually sign everything off."

Canberra general manager Don Furner hoped Graham's decision would encourage fellow Raiders contemplating remaining at the club not to delay their decision.

The Raiders have a further 15 players coming off contract at the conclusion of the season.

Furner said despite Graham opting to delay his decision when Elliott announced his departure, he never thought the centre/winger would leave Canberra.

"And I think it's a good vote of confidence from Phil to do what he's done and that it will give other players that same confidence," Furner said.

"Guys want to know who their coach is but also who they would play alongside if they re-sign and Phil was one of the first players we wanted to seal the deal with."

Michael Weyman and David Howell are the next two players on the Raiders' hit-list.

Chips

Juniors
This is timely news, i dare say he would have been highly saught after once June 30 would have arrived.....Weyman will be too

edabomb

First Grade
Good news. Would of signed back for a fair bit though, considering his previous deal was rather large from memory. Still, with our backs we have to retain any that can show the slightest inclination to break the line.

les amber

Juniors
Does anyone esle remember the last time he signed. he signed for 3 years @ $220k/year, and ended up in PL for the whole season... on the wing, best paid Pl player in history, he scored a hat trick from memory in the GF in teh rain Vs Cougars...

Roy Rover

Juniors
Chips said:
This is timely news, i dare say he would have been highly saught after once June 30 would have arrived.....Weyman will be too

I can't see too many clubs throwing the big bucks at a player as injury prone as Weyman.
He'll defintely re-sign with us.

les amber

Juniors
Cooper is off the market... would have been nice to talk to him, he is getting 3/4 of what he could get jus tcos Gaz & Baz are greedy sons of bitches

les amber said:
Does anyone esle remember the last time he signed. he signed for 3 years @ $220k/year, and ended up in PL for the whole season... on the wing, best paid Pl player in history, he scored a hat trick from memory in the GF in teh rain Vs Cougars...

Because he had been out with a knee injury for half of the year.

Chips

Juniors
Roy Rover said:
I can't see too many clubs throwing the big bucks at a player as injury prone as Weyman.
He'll defintely re-sign with us.
yes they will....clubs who have played against him know how good he is

Raider_69

Post Whore
Boing Boing said:
Graham knows who the new coach is.

you'd have to think so... cant imagine he'd settle his future without a clause if the coach was not known... too risky i would think, particularlly when you consider he has plenty of time before June 30

id say a coach has been all but confirmed and they will wait till the oppertune moment to make the announcement

ak47

Juniors
love love love it all

i think elliots departure has made phil stay onboard

he knows he is a starter and knows elliots has selection problems, thus with him gone, phil can now be safe with a starters jersey

gotto re-sign weyman though........but i think they should hold off until he proves his fitness, but again this exposes the risk of him playing out of his skin and demanding more dosh, or potentially waiting for what the market has on offer for him

jed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
id say a coach has been all but confirmed and they will wait till the oppertune moment to make the announcement
*cough cough* Saturday's launch * cough cough*

Actually, I think they're still negotiating with coaches, they'll try to announce a coach as soon as it's signed.

jed

First Grade
Although Weyman's destructive, I'm still hesitant to sign him being so injury prone. My next target once Phil signs will be Chalk, although I'm fairly sure the Titans have him in their sights. After Chalk's future is settled, I'd be chasing Weyman.

Raider_69

Post Whore
agreed
surely now that phils all but done and dusted it must go:

1=weyman
1=chalk
2. Daylight!

ak47

Juniors
if we dont re-sign chalk i will be absolutley gutted

i never knew his contract was up this year

he is a must sign - even before graham, and anyone else

he is a superstar in the making.........u just gotto feed the boy some ball and 1st grade exeprience

i'll never forget the hit on grimaldi last year
that try saving tackle against parramatta (i think it was them)
chalk is a freak, shows no fear with big size opposition and commits to everything - sometime over commits, but that isnt bad, thats just plain keen and hungry - we need him

Latest posts