What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curse of the number 7......

Chipmunk

Coach
For more than 10 years one man pretty much wore the number 7 for the mighty blue and gold….Peter Sterling….Its been 20 long years since the great man has retired and I was only just thinking that we have spent all that time trying to replace him, but with one of the largest junior nurseries and plenty of money to spend we have never even come close (with maybe Jason Taylor at the twilight of his career becoming the closest…even if it was for a very short time). It got me thinking, how many players have we tried in the number 7 over that time to never be able to do the job…. Here is the list I can think of, a total of 27 ive got, but Im sure we have slotted in others that I have missed from the 90’s so if I missed some slot em in….so in no particular order:

Jason Bell
David Penna
John Simon
Jason Taylor
Tim Smith
Brett Finch
Paul Green
Adam Dykes
Andrew McFadden
Stu Galbraith
Ben Kusto
Michael Speechley
Tulsen Tollett
Chris Lawler
Gary Freeman
Dennis Moran
PJ Marsh
Brad Drew
John Morris
Michael Witt
Chris Thorman
Jeremy Smith
Blake Green
Kris Keating
Jeff Robson
Daniel Mortimer
Tom Humble

Given the large numbers (over 1 per year) maybe we should retire the number 7! It’s a curse!

Eels Dude

Coach
No but he certainly played an entire game in the role of first reciever us dedicated Eels fans will not forget in 2004.

For more than 10 years one man pretty much wore the number 7 for the mighty blue and gold….Peter Sterling….Its been 20 long years since the great man has retired and I was only just thinking that we have spent all that time trying to replace him, but with one of the largest junior nurseries and plenty of money to spend we have never even come close (with maybe Jason Taylor at the twilight of his career becoming the closest…even if it was for a very short time). It got me thinking, how many players have we tried in the number 7 over that time to never be able to do the job…. Here is the list I can think of, a total of 27 ive got, but Im sure we have slotted in others that I have missed from the 90’s so if I missed some slot em in….so in no particular order:

Jason Bell
David Penna
John Simon
Jason Taylor
Tim Smith
Brett Finch
Paul Green
Adam Dykes
Andrew McFadden
Stu Galbraith
Ben Kusto
Michael Speechley
Tulsen Tollett
Chris Lawler
Gary Freeman
Dennis Moran
PJ Marsh
Brad Drew
John Morris
Michael Witt
Chris Thorman
Jeremy Smith
Blake Green
Kris Keating
Jeff Robson
Daniel Mortimer
Tom Humble

Given the large numbers (over 1 per year) maybe we should retire the number 7! It’s a curse!

Isn't this the article that the Telegraph trots out every single year?

Oh, and you could hardly put Brad Drew in there.
He wasn't much more than a fill-in due to injury.

Latest posts