What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters no more!

Lewish33

Juniors
From the former Cutters facebook page.
Seem a bit strange not having a team name.

TEAM NAME CHANGE:

As a result of losing our major sponsor for the past three seasons (Illawarra Coal), The St George Illawarra Dragons board have today come to the conclusion to depart from our current name of Illawarra Cutters.

The new name effective immediately is Illawarra.

In addition to this change, the side will now sport the current St George Illawarra Dragons RLFC logo.

Furthermore, the club have acquired a new major sponsor as well as additional sponsors for the season ahead and we will inform you of the good news on Friday, ahead of our season opener.

Rexxy

Coach
Steelers be nice

Sadly, Neither coal or steel are representative of the area anymore. Maybe something hi tech or tourism.

If the dragons are left picking up the financial slack, on top of supplying players, some games in the Red V are in order

kit66

Bench
Just saw this, what a joke. But........have you seen their team list for this weekend ? Mose, Dufty, Leilua, all fit it seems. Good looking team, should do well.

Illawarra's team for Round 1 v Penrith Panthers

1. Matt Dufty

2. Kalifa Faifai Loa

3. Levi Dodd

18. Izaac Thompson

14. Reuben Garrick

6. Patrick Herbert

7. Shaun Nona

8. Mose Masoe

9. Reece Robson

10. Jacob Hind

11. Tyrone McCarthy

12. Luciano Leilua

13. Blake Lawrie

Interchange:

16. Chris Lewis

19. Jack Payne

22. Josh Kerr

24. Rhys Kennedy

Happy to accept criticism when warranted but I'm pretty sure it read 'The St George Illawarra Dragons board'.
Im also pretty sure that Illawarra is a part of said board !
I don't classify those f**king turn coats as anything to do with league across the Illawarra.

The Cutters in essence was a chance for illawarra based players to show their wears on a bigger stage not become a dumping ground for the Dragons cast offs.

Rexxy

Coach
I don't classify those f**king turn coats as anything to do with league across the Illawarra.

The Cutters in essence was a chance for illawarra based players to show their wears on a bigger stage not become a dumping ground for the Dragons cast offs.

Without the dragons your only choice for local footy would be the local comp; nothing wrong with that. Now, let's play the cutters away games in the red v

Without the dragons your only choice for local footy would be the local comp; nothing wrong with that. Now, let's play the cutters away games in the red v
The local Illawarra comp is a hell alot more interesting then the shit the Dragons dish up week after week.

Hell even the CRL championship puts the Dragons to shame.

The Dragons barely even wear the red v and what does it even stand for anymore sfa.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I actually don't see this as a bad thing TBH.
The NSW state comp will change next year in any case and will have the addition of more teams like Fiji for example. Teams in the NSWcup willhave more impact on 1st grade than it does now.
The change of name to Illawarra just gives it a broader appeal to players and with the addition of the SGI logo makes them a true affiliate to the SGI first grade side instead of the stand alone and seperate club structure it is now. I think this is why Head was appointed their coach by the Dragons rather than the Cutters board. I think i read somewhere (dont quote me on this) that the new comp in 2018 will also be apart of the salary cap and players who play in the comp will be professional footballers and not part timers.
I did like the Cutters name though and have to think of an alternative now its just Illawarra.
Will it be the Illawarra Dragons?
If so could we also return to just be St George Dragons? Because it would seem strange to have a St George Illawarra in top grade and just an Illawarra team in 2nds.

Lewish33

Juniors
I actually don't see this as a bad thing TBH.
The NSW state comp will change next year in any case and will have the addition of more teams like Fiji for example. Teams in the NSWcup willhave more impact on 1st grade than it does now.
The change of name to Illawarra just gives it a broader appeal to players and with the addition of the SGI logo makes them a true affiliate to the SGI first grade side instead of the stand alone and seperate club structure it is now. I think this is why Head was appointed their coach by the Dragons rather than the Cutters board. I think i read somewhere (dont quote me on this) that the new comp in 2018 will also be apart of the salary cap and players who play in the comp will be professional footballers and not part timers.
I did like the Cutters name though and have to think of an alternative now its just Illawarra.
Will it be the Illawarra Dragons?
If so could we also return to just be St George Dragons? Because it would seem strange to have a St George Illawarra in top grade and just an Illawarra team in 2nds.
The Cutters social media people have said they won't be called the Illawarra Dragons. Got a feeling it may be tied to their new sponsors.
Would have been a good way to have shafted the Illawarra Identity out of the first grade team though.

By the way, they were the Illawarra Cutters before, so having a team named Illawarra in the 2nds and St George Illawarra in 1sts wouldn't be something new.

BennyV

Referee
The local Illawarra comp is a hell alot more interesting then the shit the Dragons dish up week after week.

Hell even the CRL championship puts the Dragons to shame.

The Dragons barely even wear the red v and what does it even stand for anymore sfa.
Sweet, so you'l be taking your complaining and poor grammar to the Illawarra Comp forum?

BennyV

Referee
Sadly, Neither coal or steel are representative of the area anymore. Maybe something hi tech or tourism.

If the dragons are left picking up the financial slack, on top of supplying players, some games in the Red V are in order
Pretty sure there's still a sizeable BlueScope Steel Mill in Port Kembla - and by pretty sure, I mean 100% positive. Outside of that, you're right.

However, it seems that the major sponsor will have a large say in the naming of the team, and will be announced by our own board of directors...

Can't wait to cheese on the Illawarra Real Estate Agents this season!!!

hermidale1

Juniors
If I remember correctly part of the deal of Illawarra Coal sponsoring the NSW Cup side was naming the team "Cutters"
As they are no longer the sponsor the name goes and the logo as well. The St.George Illawarra board which consists of St.George and Illawarra members decided to place the St.George Illawarra logo on the jersey since it is one club and will appear that way more so next year with the 20's going back to the NSWRL.

j0nesy

Bench
According to the club, 250k for major sponsorship and naming rights of "The Cutters". So does that mean if St George bank ends its sponsorship the Dragons will be rebranded? Tongue in cheek, of course, but that is a seriously stupid marketing ploy they've got there. Just won the grand final and they change their name.

j0nesy

Bench
Just saw this, what a joke. But........have you seen their team list for this weekend ? Mose, Dufty, Leilua, all fit it seems. Good looking team, should do well.

1. Matt Dufty

2. Kalifa Faifai Loa

3. Levi Dodd

18. Izaac Thompson

14. Reuben Garrick

6. Patrick Herbert

7. Shaun Nona

8. Mose Masoe

9. Reece Robson

10. Jacob Hind

11. Tyrone McCarthy

12. Luciano Leilua

13. Blake Lawrie

Interchange:

16. Chris Lewis

19. Jack Payne

22. Josh Kerr

24. Rhys Kennedy

That team looks better than the first grade side.

Rocket Rod

Juniors

1. Matt Dufty

2. Kalifa Faifai Loa

3. Levi Dodd

18. Izaac Thompson

14. Reuben Garrick

6. Patrick Herbert

7. Shaun Nona

8. Mose Masoe

9. Reece Robson

10. Jacob Hind

11. Tyrone McCarthy