What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters

getsmarty

Immortal
Demeteriou to take charge of Cutters for first time

March 4, 2016, 10:31 a.m.

NEW Illawarra coach Jason Demetriou will have a wealth of NRL experience to draw on when he takes charge of the Cutters for the first time at WIN Stadium on Saturday.
New Illawarra coach Jason Demteriou will take charge of the Cutters for the first time when they host the Warriors at WIN Stadium on Saturday. Picture: Blake Edwards

The Cutters will open their campaign against the Warriors who also boast a host of players with NRL experience including the return of legendary forward Ali Lauitiiti and wrecking ball Konrad Hurrell.
Adam Quinlan will play in the No.1 while Kalifa Faifai Loa will add his experience on the flank and powerhouse prop Sebastine Ikahifoe will take on his former club in the engine room.
Preseason surprise packet Shaun Nona will partner rising star Drew Hutchison in the halves.
The visitors have named a stacked back-line full of top-grade experience with Hurrell joining David Fusitu’a, Ken Maumalo and Matt Allwood out wide.

36-year-old Lauitiiti’s return is a major talking point heading into the clash as he looks to make an NRL return 12 years after leaving the Warriors for the UK Super League.

Kickoff is at 3pm.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...to-open-2016-campaign-at-win-stadium/?cs=2382

saintjeff

Juniors
Had to go on warriors twitter to get a score
12/0 up after 22min Very poor that i had to go on warriors site to get a score

BrissyRedV

Bench
Cutters twitter account is keeping up to date. 24-4 to the cutters. Tries to Carr, Mata'utia, Nona and McCarthy

Good to see Nona kick so well 6/6.

On a side note the Illawarra steelers SG Ball just beat the Pennies 30-18 at Penrith.

This team has some really good young players in it and now are 4 from 4.

TheRev

First Grade
Good to see Nona kick so well 6/6.

On a side note the Illawarra steelers SG Ball just beat the Pennies 30-18 at Penrith.

This team has some really good young players in it and now are 4 from 4.
Great day all round.. great to see Carr doing well, he was interviewed on cutters facebook page, and Nona was very successful, Wallace also got a 4-pointer, I cant really imagine both halves are staying in the squad, was anyone at the game? Love to know how the coach played them exactly.. a hooker & a 5/8 on a 4-man bench.

Also didnt see Quinlan mentioned in the match report, usually hes in everything.

btw Fox did end up playing a NSW Cup game today (just wasnt ours), they inserted at the last minute, so hopefully some coverage in coming weeks.

TheRev

First Grade
Match Report:

"The Illawarra Cutters withstood a brave second half comeback by the New Zealand Warriors to record a 36-22 victory at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Cutters’ winger Tom Carr scored two tries in the win, while five eighth Shaun Nona controlled the game well and kicked six from six.

The Cutters got first use of the ball and a strong surge by second rower Jacob Host earned his side the first penalty of the game however solid Warriors defence held them out.

Both sides fought to gain the upper hand during the opening minutes, but neither side was showing signs of dominating the match.

In the 10th minute, Carr scooped up a wayward pass and showed a great turn of speed, racing 80 metres to open the scoring for his side. Five eighth Shaun Nona made no mistake with the conversion and the Cutters led 6-0.

A wayward pass by the Warriors 40 metres out from their own line gave the home side a great opportunity to add further points and prop Upu Poching went very close to scoring his side's second try, but not only was he held up, he lost the ball in trying to play it.

Nona and halfback Drew Hutchinson were combining well as the half wore on and a neat grubber by Nona forced a Warriors drop out in the 17th minute, a great play that showed a lot of discipline.

From the ensuing set, Nona caught the defence napping and snuck over for a well executed individual try. Nona converted his own try to open up a 12-0 lead for the hosts.

The Cutters scored their third try when a backline move saw centre Peter Mata'utia dive over in the left corner, the try converted by Nona to make it 18-0.

The Warriors hit back though winger Ken Maumalo but the Cutters had the final say of the half when Tyrone McCarthy strolled over after the Warriors fumbled a simple Cutters cross-field kick.

At halftime the Cutters enjoyed a comfortable 24-4 lead.

Sustained Cutters pressure early in the second half saw Blake Wallace score to the right of the posts in the 50th minute. Nona’s conversion made it 30-4.

The Warriors scored a much-needed try through lock John Palivi in the 56th minute and Hingano converted the try to make it 30-10.

Konrad Hurrell strolled over in the 58th minute to continue the Warriors’ second half resurgence; the Cutters’ defence rushed up to shut him down, but he proved too strong and brushed off several defenders to touch down. Hingano converted from in front to make it 30-16

In the 62nd minute, Warriors centre Matthew Allwood crossed out wide to continue the visitors’ momentum and Hingano made no mistake with the conversion to make it 30-22.

Great Cutters defence late in the game repelled the Warriors’ attack and kept their noses in front, despite conceding the last 16 points.

The crowd was getting vocal in an effort to get the home side across the line and it worked wonders as Tom Carr dived over for his second try of the match. Nona made it a perfect six goals from six attempts to make it 36-22 with just six minutes left.

A Warriors mistake coming out of their own end gave the home side the perfect opportunity to pile on the points with just over five minutes remaining, however they dropped the ball on the second tackle to relieve the pressure, and then conceded a penalty.

The Warriors desperately ran the ball on the last play of the ensuing set, but great Cutters defence held up Marata Niukore and the Cutters survived.

Not for the first time, the Warriors spilled a simple catch and the Cutters went on the attack, but it wasn't to be with a dropped ball over the line denying the home side but they had done enough to earn the two points in an entertaining start to the 2016 Intrust Super Premiership season."

BLM01

First Grade
They again like last year have fallen asleep in the second half but still lead.
Yep.. 3 converted tries in the space of 10 minutes had me thinking Cutters of previous years..no change but glad they stopped the rot.
Was told the reffing was a bit dubious against us.
Can anyone who went confirm this or not or how we really looked.
Gee I wish this level was a prelude to 1st grade again

BLM01

First Grade
Match Report:

"The Illawarra Cutters withstood a brave second half comeback by the New Zealand Warriors to record a 36-22 victory at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Cutters’ winger Tom Carr scored two tries in the win, while five eighth Shaun Nona controlled the game well and kicked six from six.

The Cutters got first use of the ball and a strong surge by second rower Jacob Host earned his side the first penalty of the game however solid Warriors defence held them out.

Both sides fought to gain the upper hand during the opening minutes, but neither side was showing signs of dominating the match.

In the 10th minute, Carr scooped up a wayward pass and showed a great turn of speed, racing 80 metres to open the scoring for his side. Five eighth Shaun Nona made no mistake with the conversion and the Cutters led 6-0.

A wayward pass by the Warriors 40 metres out from their own line gave the home side a great opportunity to add further points and prop Upu Poching went very close to scoring his side's second try, but not only was he held up, he lost the ball in trying to play it.

Nona and halfback Drew Hutchinson were combining well as the half wore on and a neat grubber by Nona forced a Warriors drop out in the 17th minute, a great play that showed a lot of discipline.

From the ensuing set, Nona caught the defence napping and snuck over for a well executed individual try. Nona converted his own try to open up a 12-0 lead for the hosts.

The Cutters scored their third try when a backline move saw centre Peter Mata'utia dive over in the left corner, the try converted by Nona to make it 18-0.

The Warriors hit back though winger Ken Maumalo but the Cutters had the final say of the half when Tyrone McCarthy strolled over after the Warriors fumbled a simple Cutters cross-field kick.

At halftime the Cutters enjoyed a comfortable 24-4 lead.

Sustained Cutters pressure early in the second half saw Blake Wallace score to the right of the posts in the 50th minute. Nona’s conversion made it 30-4.

The Warriors scored a much-needed try through lock John Palivi in the 56th minute and Hingano converted the try to make it 30-10.

Konrad Hurrell strolled over in the 58th minute to continue the Warriors’ second half resurgence; the Cutters’ defence rushed up to shut him down, but he proved too strong and brushed off several defenders to touch down. Hingano converted from in front to make it 30-16

In the 62nd minute, Warriors centre Matthew Allwood crossed out wide to continue the visitors’ momentum and Hingano made no mistake with the conversion to make it 30-22.

Great Cutters defence late in the game repelled the Warriors’ attack and kept their noses in front, despite conceding the last 16 points.

The crowd was getting vocal in an effort to get the home side across the line and it worked wonders as Tom Carr dived over for his second try of the match. Nona made it a perfect six goals from six attempts to make it 36-22 with just six minutes left.

A Warriors mistake coming out of their own end gave the home side the perfect opportunity to pile on the points with just over five minutes remaining, however they dropped the ball on the second tackle to relieve the pressure, and then conceded a penalty.

The Warriors desperately ran the ball on the last play of the ensuing set, but great Cutters defence held up Marata Niukore and the Cutters survived.

Not for the first time, the Warriors spilled a simple catch and the Cutters went on the attack, but it wasn't to be with a dropped ball over the line denying the home side but they had done enough to earn the two points in an entertaining start to the 2016 Intrust Super Premiership season."
Thanks Rev

TheRev

First Grade
Not my Report for the record, just a copy/paste, yeah really happy to see them fight off the fightback.. and put them away late.. too many times we have lost those games.

steggz

Juniors
I went, was a good game. Great first half. Hutch didn't play at all in the second half and I think that's where things unraveled a bit. McCrone went into the halves a fair bit and wasn't flash at all.

Forward pack played great, especially Wakeman, Ikahifo and McCarthy. KFFL and Peter M didn't get much ball down the left hand side, which I found rather confusing. Carr is a finisher, but looks like he needs a little more bulk on him, looks pretty weedy. Nona is great pickup at 6.

TheRev

First Grade
I went, was a good game. Great first half. Hutch didn't play at all in the second half and I think that's where things unraveled a bit. McCrone went into the halves a fair bit and wasn't flash at all.

Forward pack played great, especially Wakeman, Ikahifo and McCarthy. KFFL and Peter M didn't get much ball down the left hand side, which I found rather confusing. Carr is a finisher, but looks like he needs a little more bulk on him, looks pretty weedy. Nona is great pickup at 6.
Awesome!

So Hutch went to the bench in 2nd half,did Nona play 80, or Wallace take over? Seems like the coach needs to make his call soon, 4 halves is too many!

And Quinlan was he heavily involved? Unusual to not see him get a mention.

duck

Juniors
Forward pack played great, especially Wakeman ...
What is it with this guy? I haven't seen a lot of him. Two games to be exact. But both times he was unstoppable with the ball. Tallis like runs.
Why does he never see first grade. Does he only perform when I'm watching?

Hi all,
I'll be at the Norths game and feeding the commentary Frank Hyde style!
To everyone who has sent my family and I kind wishes, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
You guys are inspirational and the experience has been incredibly humbling.
I also wish the best of health to other fans going through a rough trot.
I can't wait for this season to develop and we are right in this in all grades
Great signs for the club.
On the Cutters Merch front, they think 2017 will see product availability.
The demand is getting stronger.
Kind Regards
Bill