What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting out the cat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are. Its the biggest joke of a penalty in the game. Most of the time players are turning their bodies into the defence as they go to the ground to try to get an offload off.

There are, of course, the rare legitimate crusher. Those should be penalised harshly.

As for the thread, I dont mind them having a look if someone stays down. Maybe they need to go for HIA. The biggest problem as alluded to earlier in the thread is that refs will look for a pinky finger level contact on the head and penalise it.
It is ridiculous, there was one this weekend where the player backed into the tackle and his head was in the defenders armpit as they went down and they called it a crusher after he lay on the ground clutching his neck. Farcical.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I have wanted this in soccer and now I also think there is a need for it in rugby league: SUSPENSIONS. Where it is clear to anyone with common sense that an injury is being faked, suspend them. Start off with a week and then double it every time the same bloke does it again. I guarantee the problem would rapidly cease to exist.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Get rid of the bunker and you get rid of feigning injury from crusher tackles as well as defenders diving to try and get a penalty for obstruction.
That is the obvious one but there's no way thats going to happen for now.

The bunker is a blight on the game, was a good idea but as you can see now, it's more and more scrutinized in general plays, off the ball plays, Dr's advice let alone agonising replays of every step in tries. I watch a Fox Mini that goes for 20 minutes and half of it is refs deciding on a play, ruck indiscretion, high shot etc etc etc. I'm starting to think people actually like this?

coolumsharkie

Referee
They are. Its the biggest joke of a penalty in the game. Most of the time players are turning their bodies into the defence as they go to the ground to try to get an offload off.

There are, of course, the rare legitimate crusher. Those should be penalised harshly.

As for the thread, I dont mind them having a look if someone stays down. Maybe they need to go for HIA. The biggest problem as alluded to earlier in the thread is that refs will look for a pinky finger level contact on the head and penalise it.
100%. Adding to your post is the reactionary penalty the ref or bunker through scrutiny of replay is based on a players actions of injury. Much like the HIA do to determine a class 1 head knock, again it's being scrutinised, and poorly. "It could be so it is"

I'm starting to think that maybe @Canard has relo's on the job.

Saying crusher tackles can be avoided is a moment in itself. Sure, some can, but the vast majority are a complete accident and just part of tackling someone who themselves is trying to twist to find their front.

There are horrible crushers that should result in suspension etc, majority are accidental.

Typical NRL stamp out crack down that takes things way too far. Like the shoulder charge.
Wasn't the crusher tackle brought into the game by the Storm to control the speed of the ruck?

I think it's going to be difficult to eliminate all contact with the head when the focus these days is on holding up the upper body of the ball carrier to impede the offload and slow down the ruck.

LineBall

Juniors
That is the obvious one but there's no way thats going to happen for now.

The bunker is a blight on the game, was a good idea but as you can see now, it's more and more scrutinized in general plays, off the ball plays, Dr's advice let alone agonising replays of every step in tries. I watch a Fox Mini that goes for 20 minutes and half of it is refs deciding on a play, ruck indiscretion, high shot etc etc etc. I'm starting to think people actually like this?

The Bunker is a blight on the game. Same with captain's challenge - where a lot of the challenges are cynical rather than to pick up a genuine blunder.

Oh, and the six again - get rid of it. Make the ref award the penalty quickly at the mark, and let the attacking team have a quick tap - even if they have their own players in front of them in an offside position.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go back to what the bunker should always have been, the, act of scoring a try only. If 3 officials cant see everything else we need new officials!

Canard

Immortal
Get rid of something because it's not 100% foolproof is peak LU stupidity.

How will the Bunker determine if high shot cause injury or not (think about it you numbnuts)

Matiunz

Juniors
Why is it the Lodge incident getting so much scrutiny when it’s been happening for a few years?

TheDMC

Bench
Well the officials could do their job and call it when it happens thus negating the need for the player laying down for the vr to call it?

Yep, simple solution. If they miss it then too bad, play on (but retrospectively can go on report if reportable offence). Use the bunker for try scoring reviews and captain's challenges.