What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D/T: Even Eels were bored in tedious win

bartman

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24079194-5006066,00.html

0,,6165322,00.jpg

High shot ... Jarryd Hayne is hit by Ty Williams. Photograph: Mark Evans / The Daily Telegraph
Even Eels were bored in tedious win
By Steve Jancetic | July 25, 2008 12:00am

EELS 16 COWBOYS 4

PARRAMATTA captain Brett Finch last night admitted his side was "boring" after the out-of-sorts Eels kept their season alive with a narrow 16-4 victory over the Cowboys.

In a stunning aftermath to a contender for worst match of the year, Finch claimed even he was "bored on the field" as the Eels scored an uninspiring 14-point win over the last-placed Cowboys.

"It wasn't a good game to play in," Finch said.

"It is just the way the game is heading with the ruck. It was a boring game to play in and a boring game to watch.

"I was thinking about sleeping standing up. I think it is the ruck in general and that is what it is doing to the game. But it was an important win for us."

After racing to a 14-0 lead in the 27th minute, the Eels hung on to score a season-saving win over the wooden spoon-bound Cowboys.

But Parramatta looked more like pretenders than contenders as they fumbled, spilt and dropped their way to within one point of the top eight. The win has done nothing but kept their ailing premiership campaign on life support.

Adding to their woes, Eels centre Jarryd Hayne was placed on report for kicking Dayne Weston.

"It didn't matter how we won, we would have still been under the pump," coach Michael Hagan said.

"I think our attitude in defence was good and that's what I wanted out of the match.

"It needed to be better and it was. We were after two points and we haven't had them for a while.

"We will accept them and I don't think we will be talking about the game again."

The Eels opened strongly with Finch laying on a try for returning fullback Luke Burt in the third minute - but from then it was all downhill.

In the second half, the game degenerated into a mistake-fest.

The only points in the second half came from a Luke Burt penalty goal.

In the post-match press conference, Hagan said he was more concerned about the future of the game than his side's deficiencies.

"I think we have a team capable of making the eight," Hagan said.

"I think we have the ability. But I think our game has some real issues at the moment.

"We went to the video referee eight times tonight and I think the referee had an opinion of six of them.

"When you have a genuine option then get on with. The fans would be disappointed with how slow and how many stoppages there were tonight.

"We are going to get more (boring) games like this. I think we should be moving towards two referees.

"It has to be a consideration to speed the game up. Some of the stuff that goes on on the ground, you nearly need a microscope to work it out."

But there was no glossing over Parramatta's woes as they prepare to face the Knights in another must-win game.

PARRAMATTA 16 (L Burt, T Williams tries; L Burt 4 goals) NORTH QUEENSLAND 4 (J Williams try). Referee: S Lyons. Crowd: 7253.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
They just get more credible, those journalists....Finchy's our skipper now?

bartman

Immortal
PARRAMATTA captain Brett Finch last night...
Did we miss something? :lol:

"It didn't matter how we won, we would have still been under the pump," coach Michael Hagan said.

"I think our attitude in defence was good and that's what I wanted out of the match.

"It needed to be better and it was. We were after two points and we haven't had them for a while.

"We will accept them and I don't think we will be talking about the game again."
:lol: I don't blame you. I'm planning to do an Eternal Sunshine and have the game completely wiped from my memory when I wake up.
But I think our game has some real issues at the moment.

"We went to the video referee eight times tonight and I think the referee had an opinion of six of them.

"When you have a genuine option then get on with. The fans would be disappointed with how slow and how many stoppages there were tonight.

"We are going to get more (boring) games like this.
Agree with him there. All the silly video ref decisions on strips and possible tries and breathing on the kicker, and stomping on the tackled player - we really need to look at rule changes so the focus of the game isn't on finger touches and separation, but actually scoring (real) tries again, and not on dominant/submitting and winning the wrestle on the ground (boring), but on getting off the tackled player in 3 seconds or getting penalised. Simple things that make the game more watchable than a technical video fest.

Bazal

Post Whore
- we really need to look at rule changes so the focus of the game isn't on finger touches and separation, but actually scoring (real) tries again

I couldn't agree more. Ball control and downward pressure are dead. Harrigan himself said a few weeks back that all you needed to constitute a try was "Ball, skin, and grass"...that's just ridiculous IMO. It takes the onus away from control and forcing the thing in goal. Pretty soon we'll just have to stick it over the line :roll:

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, I saw harrigan try and justify it. It's ridiculous the game changed its rules like that to pander to this video nonsense in the first place. It should be the other way around, the video helping the game to stay like it is/was, but just more accurate with enforcing the rules/interpretations that were already in place.

I don't think Hages' suggestion of two refs is the answer either!

Gronk

Staff member
The NRL is boring, says Finch

Greg Prichard | July 26, 2008

PARRAMATTA admitted they were boring and that their game against North Queensland was boring, but they also declared that the game at large had become boring - because wrestling is king.
It was a bad night for the game and for Parramatta centre Jarryd Hayne, who was reported by referee Steve Lyons after his boot had scraped the face of Cowboys second-rower Dayne Weston. Eels halfback Brett Finch always tells it like it is and he didn't even wait to sit down, let alone field a question, at the post-match media conference before providing his opinion on what everyone had just witnessed. "How boring was that?" Finch said. "It's a wonder you weren't asleep."
Finch later added: "It wasn't a good game to play in. It was very slow and that's the way the game is headed now, with the ruck. It was a boring game to play in and, I'd reckon, a boring game to watch."
Finch said the ruck speed had slowed down to such an extent that it made breaking through very difficult, because the defence was inevitably set.
"You've just got to get through your sets and wrestle," he said. "It's a boring game now. Cronulla are on top because they defend well and give you nothing. That's the way the game is going and if you don't play that way you get left behind."
Coming at the end of a week that has been filled with drama surrounding the off-field behaviour of players from the Canberra and Bulldogs clubs, that sort of assessment of what we're seeing on the field would have been the last thing the NRL needed to hear. But Finch, whose father, Robert, is the referees' boss, was just giving his honest opinion and thank God there are some players out there who still do.
But, since we're being honest, we can't go on without summing up another poor night at the office for Parramatta. Their win didn't solve any of their problems, when it comes to the team's form. In fact, it may have added to them, since Hayne was reported. Hayne was trying to get his leg clear after making a tackle and Weston made it difficult by wrapping his arm around it.
"It didn't look pretty, did it?" Cowboys coach Ian Millward said of the contact. "We've got a bloke getting stitches at the moment. That will be up to the league to work out, how it transpired."
Hayne was adamant he hadn't meant to do anything wrong and that Weston grabbing his leg had a lot to do with the way things turned out.
"I think it looked bad, but there was no intention," Hayne said. "He grabbed my foot - I don't know why. That was it. When he grabbed my leg, he pulled me off balance. I apologised to him. I told him there was no intent. He had a little cut, but if someone had really tried to stomp on him he would have had a bit more than a little cut."

Parramatta led 8-0 after 11 minutes against the team that is the long odds-on favourite to claim the wooden spoon. It should have been a cakewalk from there, but once again the Eels made it difficult for themselves. As soon as they had extended their lead to 14-0, in the 27th minute, they dropped off in intensity.
North Queensland cut the lead back to 10 points through a John Williams try two minutes later and then the small crowd of 7253 that did turn up had to watch as the Cowboys tried to hang in there while the Eels failed to put them away with any conviction. Four times, in the 34th, 52nd, 54th and 78th minutes, the Cowboys came within centimetres of forcing the ball for tries, only to be held up or lose the ball trying to put it over the line.
Eels coach Michael Hagan praised his team's goalline defence, but Millward argued that two of the Cowboys' tries that were disallowed by video referee Chris Ward should have been awarded. Prop Carl Webb and winger Williams were both judged to have been held up over the chalk.
The Eels had to battle to beat the worst team in the NRL. They got the two points - and in their position they will take those under any circumstances - but their game on the road against Newcastle on Monday week looms as a much, much tougher one.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1216492741732.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Gronk

Staff member
I gotta say that I was bored, bored, bored last night as well. Yes both teams fumbled and bumbled their way through the game, but Finchy is right. The bullsh*t contest in the ruck coupled with the video ref debacle just makes the game
zzz.gif
zzzzzzzzz.

The game has massive problems ATM.

I'll stick with the Eels for ever like a bad marriage, but if anything happened to them tomorrow, there is nothing that the code offers anymore worth bothering about.

I gotta say that I was bored, bored, bored last night as well. Yes both teams fumbled and bumbled their way through the game, but Finchy is right. The bullsh*t contest in the ruck coupled with the video ref debacle just makes the game
zzz.gif
zzzzzzzzz.

The game has massive problems ATM.

I'll stick with the Eels for ever like a bad marriage, but if anything happened to them tomorrow, there is nothing that the code offers anymore worth bothering about.

Watch ESL. I am watching that comp more and more and easily enjoy it over the NRL. In fact the best rugby league games I have seen this year were ESL games.

And part of the problem of the NRL is conservative natured coaches who believe in "one out complete your set" football instead of attacking football. Honestly, the best thing for the NRL is if Canberra do really well this year.

walker smith

Juniors
The game has issues but not to the massive extent Hagan is portraying - this is deflection by Hagan.

Don't tell me our turgid game plan is a deliberate attempt to pressure the law makers into changing trhe rules?

Eels Dude

Coach
Both games last night were dull. At least Finchy has the balls to admit how bad it was really was. It's partially due to our lack of attacking play and Hagan shouldnt be using that an an excuse. We haven't won many games by playing this one out game he's suggesting so why not play something different, bloody hell, that's where our side's strengths lie. We've gone from the most exciting side to watch last year, to the most boring. And all Hagan can do is blame the rules.

MuleEel

Juniors
the game needs a team to come along and play with flair - with chip kicks and using the ball generally. I cringe whenever I hear the completions stats and that field position is paramount. If a team start throwing it around off the first tackle and trying all sorts of things how good would that be. Parra would be the ideal team to attempt this as they have the talent (though probably not the skills) and we certainly need to change something in order to compete. Problem is we dont have a coach that has any confidence or that can think outside the square.

Fathead

Bench
"In the post-match press conference, Hagan said he was more concerned about the future of the game than his side's deficiencies."

Ah.. thats it Sherlock ! We have found the cause ! Why doesnt Hages just concentrate on HIS responsibilities and leave the game to those who are charged with running it. FFS this self appointed warrior for the cause better get his own backyard sorted out first before running for CEO of the NRL.

Latest posts